What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW game 2 team

Exsilium

First Grade
Reynolds would be my pick. His game management and kicking is fantastic.

I think Fittler keeps Hynes on the bench and goes with the guys he knows will do their job.

Exsilium

First Grade
I do not think it matters.

The series is lost, change the deck chairs if you must.

Gone from random Manly Prop to random Bulldog Prop.

NSW front office just do not get it.

To be fair though, TPJ has been great playing in the middle for the Dogs.

Gus made a comment about how TPJ is not an edge backrower anymore. It was about several rounds ago and he’s been very good for the Dogs. I think the issue was starting him and not injecting him.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I think Reynolds would do a decent job, I am not sure he would last the game.
I think the only option really is Hynes and Burton.
Anyone thinking walker needs to remember his previous SOO effort and remember you can't go missing in SOO like he does in most club games

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Cleary copping lots of blame for origin when the coach is the problem if I was him I would consider being ineligible for origin
Cleary has been basically non existent in all SOO games and basically pretty ordinary in the WC too. He plays really well in a good system that the whole team plays well in. I don't think he is the player to play outside of his prepared parametres and probably will never be. The other one has more flair but is probably the soul reason Penrith aren't 3 GFs in a row and his biggest impact is when he jumps on his own players.

Woody90

Juniors
1. Latrell
2. To'o
3. Graham
4. Turbo
5. Tedesco
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Api
10. Jurbo
11. Martin
12. Frizzel
13. Yeo

14. Cook
15. Leniu
16. Koloamatangi
17. Junior Paulo

Murray for Frizzel if he is available

Latrell is only viable at fullback with two meter eatjng wingers so I'd shift Teddy there. Walker and Adam compliment Latrell.

I don’t think Latrell has the fitness to play FB at Origin level.

BranVan3000

Coach
I don’t think Latrell has the fitness to play FB at Origin level.
Agree though I'd have Teddy and To'o doing the gruntwork hit ups, even throw Graham in there. Let Latrell focus on the attacking zone plays

Might be a horrible idea defensively though

skeepe

Immortal
Pretty easy choice really.

1. James Tedesco
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Campbell Graham
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Nicho Hynes
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Payne Haas
9. Api Koroisau
10. Junior Paulo
11. Hudson Young
12. Liam Martin
13. Josh King

14. Damian Cook
15. Tyson Frizell
16. David Klemmer
17. Daniel Saifiti

Fangs

Coach
It will be:

1. James Tedesco
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tommy T
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Payne Haas
9. Damien Cook
10. Junior Paulo
11. Cameron Murray
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Api Korisau
15. Liam Martin
16. Spencer Leinu
17. Fill

Some of these sides with 7-8 changes are just crazy. Too many of them unforced. Have to keep some consistency and most importantly some experience as we are heading to Suncorp in a game that could decide the series.

Reynolds might firm into a spot on his goal kicking. That would force either Luai or Hynes out of the team all together. Stats say Hynes is better with the boot this year but I'd take Reynolds any day of the week in a clutch situation. Both have one more chance to impress this weekend.

I think they are pretty certain on two hookers. I'd prefer Korisau off the bench. Martin and Leinu are two of the best bench forwards in the competition right now so its a no brainer. Last bench spot up for grabs. Could be Hudson Young but someone with some XP and potential to play centre would be nice.

Wb1234

Referee
Suncorp stadium is Adam Reynolds home ground

heck the crowd might even cheer him

im warming to the idea of Reynolds and Hynes if they really don’t want Cody Walker

Interesting views by Alex McKinnon about the squad and tactics for game 2 (following is from - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/defe2114ee90c5f4d29a220692429bd0) -

NSW EATING THEIR OWN… AGAIN

Nothing reveals the ruthlessness of the Sydney media quite like New South Wales losing an Origin they’re expected to win.

The knives come out and you’d be forgiven for thinking Queensland produced one of the greatest performances in Origin history in Game 1.

It pisses me off. Just because NSW failed to seal the deal doesn’t mean Queensland was right with every selection and every move they made.

The reality is the Blues went within seven minutes of victory before Cameron Munster - who is fast becoming an Origin legend - turned the game on a dime.

Should we have won? Yes. Were we that far off? No.

Maroons coach Billy Slater even admitted after the game that his side played some dumb football at times.

The Blues staff would have watched that game and seen a lot of opportunities that they can exploit in Game 2.

Everyone wants to crucify Tevita Pangai Junior, but he was one of our most effective in defence and was a threat carrying the ball.

We don’t need wholesale changes, even just something as minor as the rotation of our bench and middles could make a big difference.

If we’re lucky enough to get through this weekend largely unscathed, I think we’ll win.

Nathan Cleary had a performance that wasn’t up to his own elite standards and NSW were still in the game at the death.

Cleary didn’t play badly and his performance is one that can be replicated by any of the contenders to replace Cleary in Game 2.

Nicho Hynes, Adam Reynolds and Mitchell Moses are in a three-way battle for the No. 7 jersey but I say stick with what you’ve got.

Hynes has already been in camp and then you pick Matt Burton at No. 14, they’ve both been in the arena before and you just need them to play their role - that’s all NSW needs from them.

NSW needs a team performance to win, the result won’t rest on the selection of the halfback.

THE SERIES HANGS ON LATRELL

Latrell Mitchell playing in the must-win game at Suncorp Stadium isn’t just one factor for NSW - it’s the biggest factor.

But we have to be smart with how we get him the ball because my biggest frustration as a Blues supporter is we attack like a club team.

Everything hinges off the No. 13 when we move the ball. Conversely, Tom Trbojevic went off and it took Queensland one set of six to exploit it.

When NSW attacks, the dummyhalf passes to Isaah Yeo then he makes a decision to either play out the back or go short, his options are quite limited.

If you show me a halfback that loves catching a ball out the back of a block shape I’ll show you a halfback that does not know how to play rugby league.

Every good half wants to catch the ball out in front of them after a nice and quick play-the-ball so that they’ve got options everywhere.

Catching out the back of block shape, if executed well, works at club level but it doesn’t in high-pressure situations against the best players in the world. It’s so easy for quality defenders to read the play.

If Latrell is going to break the game open he needs the ball when it’s four-on-four down the short side so he can get one-on-one with his man. To do that we need quick play-the-ball.

We played our shifts in Game 1 off Payne Haas while Queensland shifted off Patrick Carrigan. Haas is a great yardage man but he doesn’t have a fast play the ball because he’s slowly wrestled to the ground, whereas Carrigan is explosive and has a great ability to get in between players.

We have those types of players too, but we’re not using them in that way.

dogslife

Coach
To be fair though, TPJ has been great playing in the middle for the Dogs.

Gus made a comment about how TPJ is not an edge backrower anymore. It was about several rounds ago and he’s been very good for the Dogs. I think the issue was starting him and not injecting him.
Took the Bulldogs coaching staff a while to be fair.

4 days removed from origin he backed up with 191m from 21 runs

Pumpkin

Juniors
The more I think about it, the more I feel NSW should just give up. Qld have proven they are the superior state over the years. What's the point? We're obviously no chance with Slater coaching.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Qld win every year guys. Forget about it. Teddy did nothing wrong going up for that ball. Something miraculous happens and they win with 9 min to go, 5 min, 3 min. The gods are on their side. You can't beat the gods.

The more I think about it, the more I feel NSW should just give up. Qld have proven they are the superior state over the years. What's the point? We're obviously no chance with Slater coaching.
I enjoyed watching QLD out enthuse NSW for that previous 2006 - 2017 dominant perod. It is enjoyable to watch our side play a competitive NSW and win but there's something entirely sweet about watching the Maroons get a clean sweep and own NSW. Who gives a f**k if the Blues fans don't lke it.

Bill Slater might end up the most influential Maroons origin coach ever. He and his Origin assistant coaches dominated playing Origin, in a manner that the deserved great Mal Meninga never quite achieved despite being an Origin legend himself. Now they bring that understanding and commitment to win to the coaching side of Origin. Witness the footage of Cameron Smith giving the halftime address to the players. NSW are playing Slater, Smith, Thurston, Myles all over again. Except now those guys are lifting the new superstars to inspirational efforts. NSW might want to decide are they showing up and stepping up or getting reamed. They could get reamed for a long time at this rate,

Last edited:

Latest posts