What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Have a Savior, and his name is.....

Charlie124

First Grade
Beau Scott.......apparently. :sarcasm:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6909373823?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

Shock NSW Origin contender Beau Scott’s mission to terrorise Johnathan Thurston

New South Wales Origin debate heats upBeau Scott evades an attempted tackle by...
NEWCASTLE’s Beau Scott has emerged as a shock contender for the NSW Origin team with one task in mind: terrorise Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston.

Scott, who has played five games for NSW from 2010 to 2012, is being heavily monitored with Blues selectors to announce their team for State of Origin I in less than two weeks.

Thurston, the Maroons’ No. 1 attacking weapon, has haunted the Blues during their eight straight series defeats and has been particularly devastating down the left side of play.

I don't think Beau Scott has played better than this year - Matthew Johns on Beau Scott's form.

Scott, who is known for his big hits and in-your-face defence, holds up the right side of Newcastle’s line.

Scott’s possible inclusion in the back-row would give NSW coach Laurie Daley the option of playing captain Paul Gallen at prop.

The Sydney Roosters’ Boyd Cordner — who represented Australia against New Zealand last week — is favoured to win the other second-row spot.

While Scott is not a player with stunning stats, his tough, durable and effective style of play could ensure a torrid night for Thurston on May 28 at Suncorp Stadium.

“I heard Laurie say he is conscious of playing two games this series at Suncorp Stadium. That is a hard battle ground up there.

“Laurie may not be keen to take rookies up there. He will want blokes who aren’t going to be intimidated and Beau Scott is rock-solid and dependable and a player others love playing with.

“He has that real toughness and rugged defence. Blokes don’t like playing against him. I know we have to score points but we have to defend points as well.”

With Newcastle being down on attacking options, Beau has been good with the footy - Greg Alexander on Beau Scott.

“We know what a good defender he is but he has been more important with the ball this year than the last couple of seasons,” Alexander declared.

“With (Knights halfback) Jarrod Mullen out injured for the first four or five weeks of the competition, and with Newcastle being down on attacking options, Beau has been good with the footy.”

NSW has Manly back-rower Glenn Stewart unavailable through injury, while Cronulla’s Luke Lewis is expected to return for his first game of the season on Monday night.

Should the Blues opt for Scott and Cordner in the second row, Gold Coast’s Greg Bird would play lock.

Should Gallen shift to the front row, it could create a logjam of props where either James Tamou, Aaron Woods or Andrew Fifita might miss out.

Given Tamou is the Kangaroos’ prop, he would be difficult to omit, while Fifita and Woods both played for NSW last year. Fifita, however, did lose his Test place last week.

Woods has been outstanding in a Wests Tigers side which has won five from eight games this season.

He can further enhance his chances with a strong display against a powerful Sydney Roosters pack at Allianz Stadium on Friday night.

Blues hooker Robbie Farah is recovering quickly from a dislocated elbow and will return early for Wests Tigers. If fit, he is an automatic selection.

aqua_duck

Coach
No one is saying he's a saviour you mongs, fact is he's playing some very good football this year and is the type of player that has been used in the past as abit of a man marker. Granted he's not the flashiest player but he's quite good at neutralising an opposition star player

some11

Referee
Just your typical pre-Origin "x player has been selected to shut down x player" article.

I remember an article about how the Blues would "shut down" Lockyer & JT in Game 3, 2011 - they were blown off the park inside the first 40 minutes.

BennyV

Referee
Ummm, I found the glaring issue to be the fact that Cordner will be starting on the left...nothing against Boyd, good young player and all, but if Greg Bird and Gallen don't both start the game in the backrow, we are stuffed before we begin!

I'm all for a starting backrow of Bird, Gallen and Scott, brings plenty of skill and aggression and is the only way NSW can compete in the first 20mins.

PLEASE no Gallen at prop, it's just going back to failed tactics.

Son of Minto

Bench
No one is saying he's a saviour you mongs, fact is he's playing some very good football this year and is the type of player that has been used in the past as abit of a man marker. Granted he's not the flashiest player but he's quite good at neutralising an opposition star player

Hes shit.

Big_nick

Juniors
Has anyone on here watched games other than for their respective teams this year? So many of the narrow minded posts on here are obviously basing their opinion of Scott on previous performances. Scott has been without doubt on of the best backrowers this season, every game he has played very well even in a losing team. He has also added a good offload to his game creating some good second phase play.

I used to knock Scott previously as i thought his earlier selections were unwarranted, but this season I truly believe the bloke needs to be in the team, I would start him over Cordner in a heart beat.

Sime_11

Juniors
Scott > Hoffman
that is all.

agree that Bird & gallen both need to be in back row starting.

Apey

Staff member
Has anyone on here watched games other than for their respective teams this year? So many of the narrow minded posts on here are obviously basing their opinion of Scott on previous performances. Scott has been without doubt on of the best backrowers this season, every game he has played very well even in a losing team. He has also added a good offload to his game creating some good second phase play.

I used to knock Scott previously as i thought his earlier selections were unwarranted, but this season I truly believe the bloke needs to be in the team, I would start him over Cordner in a heart beat.

People knock Rabs for not watching games but here we are

Dutchy

Immortal
NSW is blessed with back rowers. Scott is a good player, but there is better.

Was also terrible in CvC.

I think some opposition team fans must just tend to look at where the club is sitting on the ladder and judge players that way. Knights are sitting 15th so therefore all their players are shit. ](*,)

maple_69

Bench
I remember that game he was put in to shut down Inglis. :p

The only player I remember him shutting down was Michael Gordon. Handbrake.

Realistically though, for the last 3 years NSW has matched the Maroons everywhere but the halves. There is nothing wrong with Scott as a cog in the machine. He is not a saviour though. Luke Brooks, he could be the saviour.

Big Pete

Referee
It wouldn't be the worst selection in the world.

Scott's Origin career has been very mixed, but one could make the argument that he was underdone due to some questionable selections. In 2010, they brought him as a centre to defend GI which is a task easier said than done at the best of times, but when there was so much build up in the lead up as a result of Joey's racist comment it made his job nigh on impossible. It also didn't make a lot of sense either, a player like Scott doesn't possess the skills to really threaten Queensland out-wide, but could be a nice foil for a Jamie Soward or Todd Carney who would have been more valuable than Trent Barrett.

In 2011, he was one of the Blues better players and played a nice role in their victory at ANZ until injury robbed him of playing the decider. They brought in Glenn Stewart who was one of the form edge forwards but there was a noticeable drop in quality.

The final game Beau played was the decider in 2012, when he was called into the game largely underdone and played like it. That's largely been Beau's story, having to contend with his body to get the most out of himself but it appears in 2014 he looks right.

However, surely he's nothing more than an option? With Lewis only just returning from his shoulder reconstruction, G. Stewart out and not in spectacular form anyways and T-Rex being well, T-Rex it's easy to understand why.

However, what really gets me is that NSW had the opportunity to give Tariq Sims a shot on his favoured right edge and instead went with Scott. Even before there were injuries, they had the opportunity to go with youth and a player with more upside yet stuck with a player who they knew would deliver the exact performance he gave in Country.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's an option.

Charlie124

First Grade

Tell me what us narrow minded posters should base our opinions on then, if not on previous performances? Do you have a crystal ball I could borrow so I can take a quick peek at some future performances?

Latest posts