What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

gronkathon

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Lawrence
4. Jennings
5. J.Morris

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Learoyd-Lars
16. Douglas
17. Not sure. Let City/Country form decide the last bench prop slot

I don't think we can go with anyone subpar defensively since we'll be facing two of the best attacking centres in the league - Inglis and Tonga.

I truly think it has to be Lawrence & Cooper, maybe Scott. Lyon is a shout I guess, and if Tahu hits some form soon enough he as well.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Lyon should never be picked, regardless of form

He has stated previously that he would rather not play Origin. If that is his attitude well, he can GAGF

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Why exactly would anyone put tahu in their side??

the bloke has been an absolute liability for the eels, costing them the win against the sharks (dropped a certain try and dropped a sitter of a pass to give fergusson one of his).
Tahu is playing in a team low on confidence ... everyone there is low on confidence.

Despite the fact that he has dropped a couple of balls (FMD I saw Lockyer knock on a couple of times this season, does that mean he is a liability to the Broncos?!), he is still one of the few players I could put my faith in to be able to contest bombs against someone like Tuqiri, Folau or Inglis, and even Boyd (if he is picked) is excellent in the air.

Joel Monaghan is another, but he has been injured all season so far.

Furthermore, why would anyone put Bird in their side?
Because he can defend, and because I have Gidley/Carney on the bench to come on in the second half and play as a playmaker, leaving Bird to play more as a second lock.

I disagree with people putting Carney and Pearce in the halves .... neither can defend, and Carney hasn't played five-eighth for 3 years, yet people think he will go fine in an Origin game?!?

We are not going to beat Queensland in a pointscoring competition .... they have too much quality in the backline and if we score 30 in an open game, they'll score 34.

We have to base the team on defence first, and Bird is probably the best defender of the possible five-eighths.

That's my opinion anyway.

Pearce is a very good defender.
Why pick Bird and play him as a second lock, then waste an interchange spot on Gidley to come in and playmake when you can get the defense from Campese and the ballplaying as wel...

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
I disagree with people putting Carney and Pearce in the halves .... neither can defend, and Carney hasn't played five-eighth for 3 years, yet people think he will go fine in an Origin game?!?

I just lold. Have you watched Pearce in defence? He is easily in the top 10 defenders in the halves.
Carney is almost playing as a 5/8th in attack, if you watch the Roosters attack Pearce, Carney or Anasta always split up and go 2 on 1 side of the field and 1 on the other and will go either half or 5/8 on any given play and work with it. He is probably no worse than Darren Lockyer in defence which hasn't stopped him from being one of the best players in the world the past decade.

Bird is probably the best defender of the possible five-eighths.

If he was actually a 5/8 I would agree, but he aint a 5/8ths pubic hair in attack.

Special K

Coach
Bird has started two games at 6 in origin and was MOTM in both - same with Australia, 2 games at 6 and 2 MOTMs.

Bird is a very under rated ball player. His passing game is excellent, he can play before the line or through the line and hits like a truck. Give me Bird any day of the week!

Jakester1288

Juniors
1. Stewart (how long is his injury?)
2. Morris
3. Cooper (on Inglis/Folau)
4. Lewis/someone I can't think of
5. Hayne
6. Soward
7. Pearce
9. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Laffranchi
12. Gallen
13. Bird

15. Creagh
16. Watmough
17. Gidley

I know it's premature, but I can see, and wouldn't mind seeing, Carney playing fullback or five eighth or something. I want Stewart at fullback, or Hayne/Carney if he's not available. NOT GIDLEY.

I think it's time to go for youth in the halves, Barrett doesn't do it for me, Kimmorley isn't great. Soward and Pearce are the future stars, let's get them gelling together. We've got nothing to lose.

Can't decide the second prop, and last bench player, there must be players I can't think of ATM, trying to watch the St George Brisbane game though.

EDIT: Maybe Douglas for the second prop, 40 tackles and 100 metres in him every game.

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Bird isn't a five eighths arsehole. We need to score points.

Pick him at lock if you want him in the side, but not in the halves. Otherwise we should pick John Morris at half. Halves are not in the team to defend.

Big Pete

Referee
New South Wales side I would love to see get chosen as a Queensland fan...

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Cooper
5. Michael Jennings
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Brett White
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Ben Hornby
15. Josh Perry
16. Paul Gallen
17. Trent Waterhouse

Seriously would make me :lol:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Cooper
5. Michael Jennings
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Brett White
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Ben Hornby
15. Josh Perry
16. Paul Gallen
17. Trent Waterhouse

Are you serious?

Spot On

Coach

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Cooper
5. Michael Jennings
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Brett White
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Ben Hornby
15. Josh Perry
16. Paul Gallen
17. Trent Waterhouse

I can understand your thinking re the 1,4,5,7,8,10,11,14,15,and,17.