What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin

GongPanther

Referee
Smug Fact of the Day:

Of all NSW coaches to have won 3 or more SoO series, 100% of them debuted as players at the Panthers.
A few other ex-Panthers have won premierships as coach and assistant coach. Des Hasler won the 2008 and 2011 GFs. John Cartwright co-coached the Cows big GF win V Broncos in 2015. Phil Gould's Dogs 1988, and Panthers 1991 GFs. Tim Sheens' won premierships with Canberra in 1989, 1990, 1994, and a title with the Tigers in 2005, which adds up to a total of 9 premierships.

Original Name

Juniors
I hope everyone's over this delusional Capwell can play centre now. I've said it before but he can only play there when we're on the front foot. If we loose momentum or if it's an even battle he's terrible there. Tyrone May is better there defensively at least.

DinkyDi

Juniors
This makes me smile.

Attachments

• 200252223_3017469165138596_5288328488505314130_n.jpg
    200252223_3017469165138596_5288328488505314130_n.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 208312777_3017469185138594_96805727845627248_n.jpg
    208312777_3017469185138594_96805727845627248_n.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 203109651_3017469215138591_5090348189545682987_n.jpg
    203109651_3017469215138591_5090348189545682987_n.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 10

WestyLife

First Grade
I hope everyone's over this delusional Capwell can play centre now. I've said it before but he can only play there when we're on the front foot. If we loose momentum or if it's an even battle he's terrible there. Tyrone May is better there defensively at least.

Didn't think it was a particularly popular opinion. I wouldn't use him at club level unless there was some kind of mid game injury.

martielang

Bench

Has anyone said that though?

HOWEVER

He got stood up a couple of times by arguably the best player in the game at the moment. He also beat that same player a number of times (over the last 2 games) with ball in hand and I thought was comfortably QLDs best player last night. If anything, I thought last night showed he could be quality first grade centre - not that I'd play him there.

mxlegend99

Referee
He was arguably Queenslands better centre and he was against the best player in the game. Can't really expect much more than that. Looked more dangerous in attack and equally as bad in defence as Gagai who is an actual centre

He wouldn't be a first choice centre for us. But he's a pretty decent option to shift to centre through games.

Fangs

Coach

HOWEVER

He got stood up a couple of times by arguably the best player in the game at the moment. He also beat that same player a number of times (over the last 2 games) with ball in hand and I thought was comfortably QLDs best player last night. If anything, I thought last night showed he could be quality first grade centre - not that I'd play him there.

Not Capewell's fault he was picked there. He did a pretty good job all things considered.

Only raises his worth as a player. That two year deal was a steal.

And here goes the media yet again, having issues with Luai........

NSW star Jarome Luai’s act of absolute disrespect​

JUNE 28, 20212:29pm

FOXSPORTS1:01

Jarome Luai harasses, taunts and ragdolls Maroons​

Tyson Otto
5bbb92088447596039ef931c71a3ec84
news.com.au

Blues star Jarome Luai has been caught on camera again showing his Maroons opposition no respect.
The Panthers playmaker is a perfect 2-0 at State of Origin level as he and teammate Nathan Cleary steered NSW to a historic humiliation of Queensland in Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium.
The Blues cantered to a 26-0 win, setting a series of damning records in a combined 76-6 scorelineacross the two games of the series.

Luai’s brash on-field behaviour has received criticism this year, leading to suggestions his Penrith team is “arrogant”, while his clear disdain for his Origin opposition ruffled Queensland’s feathers following the series opener.
An image emerged after the series opener showing Luai standing over Felise Kaufusi and roaring, which reportedly led some Queenslanders to question if his confidence was tipping over to arrogance.

Should Daly Cherry-Evans be dropped as Queensland captain?​

Yes
Yes, and he should be axed from the side altogether
No
Cast your vote

If Cherry-Evans was replaced as captain, who should take the job?​

Cameron Munster
Christian Welch
Kalyn Ponga (when fit)
Valentine Holmes
Ben Hunt
Cast your vote

His aggressive nature was spotted again late in Game 2 when the Blues wildly celebrated winger Brian To’o phenomenal try-saving tackle on Kyle Feldt.
Feldt was just two metres from the try line when he picked up a grubber kick from Daly Cherry-Evans but was stopped miraculously by To’o who knocked the ball out of his hands.
As Feldt was getting back to his feet and Blues teammates raced in to pounce on To’o, Luai was spotted waving his finger in Feldt’s face, in a disrespectful drive by.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

It comes after Maroons greats bristled over his Game 1 antics.
Luai refused to apologise for his shouting at Kaufusi and said he was happy for it to put a target on his back.
The moment had been described by some as Luai “berating” Kaufusi.
His decision to take it to another level in Game 2 was symbolic of the Blues invincibility.
To’o’s try-saver was equalled earlier by Tom Trbojevic’s epic try-saving push on Xavier Coates as he dived for the line.
It showed the stark difference between the two teams.
Related: Paul Vautin’s scathing Queensland roast caught by microphone
Jarome Luai mugging off Kyle Feldt. Photo: Kayo.

Jarome Luai mugging off Kyle Feldt. Photo: Kayo.Source:Supplied
“Protecting your try line like your life depends on it is everything Origin is built on,” Queensland legend Cooper Cronk said.
“Everyone can play when the ball is in your favour, but can you win moments when you don’t have the ball? And NSW have come up trumps all night.”
Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans even admitted in the post-match press conference that NSW showed a lot more hunger than his side, despite facing an embarrassing 2-0 result.
The performance of Cleary and Luai will leave Kangaroos selectors upset by Luai’s declaration earlier this year that he wants to represent Samoa at international level.
Cleary is certain to be selected as the starting halfback for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, while Cherry-Evans and even Cameron Munster are suddenly in danger of being overlooked completely.

DinkyDi

Juniors
And here goes the media yet again, having issues with Luai........

NSW star Jarome Luai’s act of absolute disrespect​

JUNE 28, 20212:29pm

FOXSPORTS1:01

Jarome Luai harasses, taunts and ragdolls Maroons​

Tyson Otto
5bbb92088447596039ef931c71a3ec84
news.com.au

Blues star Jarome Luai has been caught on camera again showing his Maroons opposition no respect.
The Panthers playmaker is a perfect 2-0 at State of Origin level as he and teammate Nathan Cleary steered NSW to a historic humiliation of Queensland in Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium.
The Blues cantered to a 26-0 win, setting a series of damning records in a combined 76-6 scorelineacross the two games of the series.

Luai’s brash on-field behaviour has received criticism this year, leading to suggestions his Penrith team is “arrogant”, while his clear disdain for his Origin opposition ruffled Queensland’s feathers following the series opener.
An image emerged after the series opener showing Luai standing over Felise Kaufusi and roaring, which reportedly led some Queenslanders to question if his confidence was tipping over to arrogance.

Should Daly Cherry-Evans be dropped as Queensland captain?​

Yes
Yes, and he should be axed from the side altogether
No
Cast your vote

If Cherry-Evans was replaced as captain, who should take the job?​

Cameron Munster
Christian Welch
Kalyn Ponga (when fit)
Valentine Holmes
Ben Hunt
Cast your vote

His aggressive nature was spotted again late in Game 2 when the Blues wildly celebrated winger Brian To’o phenomenal try-saving tackle on Kyle Feldt.
Feldt was just two metres from the try line when he picked up a grubber kick from Daly Cherry-Evans but was stopped miraculously by To’o who knocked the ball out of his hands.
As Feldt was getting back to his feet and Blues teammates raced in to pounce on To’o, Luai was spotted waving his finger in Feldt’s face, in a disrespectful drive by.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

It comes after Maroons greats bristled over his Game 1 antics.
Luai refused to apologise for his shouting at Kaufusi and said he was happy for it to put a target on his back.
The moment had been described by some as Luai “berating” Kaufusi.
His decision to take it to another level in Game 2 was symbolic of the Blues invincibility.
To’o’s try-saver was equalled earlier by Tom Trbojevic’s epic try-saving push on Xavier Coates as he dived for the line.
It showed the stark difference between the two teams.
Related: Paul Vautin’s scathing Queensland roast caught by microphone
Jarome Luai mugging off Kyle Feldt. Photo: Kayo.

Jarome Luai mugging off Kyle Feldt. Photo: Kayo.Source:Supplied
“Protecting your try line like your life depends on it is everything Origin is built on,” Queensland legend Cooper Cronk said.
“Everyone can play when the ball is in your favour, but can you win moments when you don’t have the ball? And NSW have come up trumps all night.”
Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans even admitted in the post-match press conference that NSW showed a lot more hunger than his side, despite facing an embarrassing 2-0 result.
The performance of Cleary and Luai will leave Kangaroos selectors upset by Luai’s declaration earlier this year that he wants to represent Samoa at international level.
Cleary is certain to be selected as the starting halfback for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, while Cherry-Evans and even Cameron Munster are suddenly in danger of being overlooked completely.
The Maroons forgot the treatment they dished out to Mitchell Pearce, and James Tedesco. They can dish it out, but, they can not cop it.

Original Name

Juniors
Didn't think it was a particularly popular opinion. I wouldn't use him at club level unless there was some kind of mid game injury.
There have been some fans who thought using him as our player to shift to centre in case of injury was our best side after how he went at centre during Origin last year which I argued against at the time.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
He was arguably Queenslands better centre and he was against the best player in the game. Can't really expect much more than that. Looked more dangerous in attack and equally as bad in defence as Gagai who is an actual centre

He wouldn't be a first choice centre for us. But he's a pretty decent option to shift to centre through games.
Only in games we're winning well (which we are most of the time). If we're losing the momentum he's a liability. QLD were dominating the ruck last year and often had NSW keeping deep out of their own end and he's great like that. Great on the front foot very bad on the back foot.

HOWEVER

I believe at the time it someone was saying May should be dropped because Capewell can cover as a back up centre better/just as good or something like that.

He's good there when his teams running down hill. It's like when we murdered the Knights in the last round of the year in 2019, Billy Burns scored a hat trick against the Knights and had a blinder the next year we played a normal game with him at centre and he played badly and it was evident he was out of his depth. You could see this in game 2 last year with Capewell. Was a liability playing against Gutherson (who nobody acknowledges as a particularly great centre) in game 2 2020, got carved up easily.
Or for this try which is terrible by rep standards.

Then he played great during the next match when NSW's forwards got rolled. In any even match or if we're losing the battle up the middle or if it's back and fourth he's a big liability in defence. We shouldn't plan the team list like we're going to smash the opposition before the match has started unless we have no other option which what I was arguing last year and I hope people now see that it's a very bad option playing him like that.

If NSW's get easily rolled up middle like game 3 last year Capewell would do fine against Turbo too because NSW would have no space. Most of the time when they looked to go Turbo (getting the ball at centre not roaming) QLD would have time to get up off the line and Capewell would be on him before Tommy can do anything.

Last edited: