What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW take first ever Women's Origin over QLD

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
NSW take first ever Women's Origin over QLD
Josh Robertson | June 22 2018 9:53PM

Embed from Getty Images

New South Wales Women v Queensland Women

The NSW blues have made history becoming the first Women's State of Origin champions after their hard fought 16-10 victory over Queensland in front of a bumper crowd of 6,824 at the historic North Sydney Oval.

Both sides started the game with solid sets as they worked the nerves out of their system with solid ball running to start the game. The Blues had the opening chance after just six minutes when Queensland fullback Chelsea Brown coughed up possession in the ruck. The Blues looked to spread the ball wide from the scrum but they're opening chance came to nothingwhen Nakia Davis-Welsh couldn't handle a slick pass.

The Blues were able to take the next chance that cames their way with an almost identical play that this time came off when New South Wales swung the ball from right to left and they got the opening four pointer through Isabelle Kelly. The Blues extended their lead with a stunning conversion from out wide off the boot of Maddie Studdon.

The Maroons were able to hit back soon after off the back of a penalty when they caught the NSW defence napping by going down the short side on last tackle and Karina Brown got the ball down in the corner although it was sent to the bunker to confirm that Brown stayed in the field of play. The try was awarded and after Chelsea Baker put her own stunning conversion over the scores were level.

Both sides continued to test each other out but couldn't create anything more than half chances although the best chance for QLD came on the stroke of half time when QLD pulled out a set play from a scrum and it was only Kezie Apps coming from nowhere that saved the day for NSW and the two sides went to the break at 6 all. The second half began with the big hits and big runs that we saw in the first half and it was NSW who were able to get on the board first in the second half. The first try came through some great work of the NSW halves O'Mealey and Studdon who spread the ball wide and Nakia Davis-Welsh made amends for the ball she dropped in the first half when she crossed for NSWs second try.

The Maroons like the first half weren't going to let the game slip away from them and they hit back with just over ten minutes to go when Ali Brigginshaw put her class on show as she ran to the line and caught the Blues defence napping before giving it out to QLD captain Karina Brown who had her second. The Maroons were unlucky not to go ahead with Chelsea Baker hitting a good looking conversion attempt only for it to not bend enough and bounce off the uprights.

Both sides were looking to get that late try to seal the game and a six again call with some excellent desperation to get to the ball from Lavina O'Mealey after a Maddie Studdon kick was touched and the Blues went into attack. The Blues took advantage of their field position with some more good work from Sam Bremner who turned on the footwork and hdad the QLD defence standing off her before giving the ball to Isabelle Kelly who sealed the win with her second try of the game.

The Queenslander's had a late chance when Kezie Apps put the ball down in bad field position for the Blues. The Blues defence stood up when Rhiannon Revell-Blair took off from dummy half to go for the line but she was bundled into touch by at least 5 of the NSW players to save the day. QLD had one last chance inside the final minute but the NSW outside backs were awake to it and NSW had won the game.

New South Wales Women 16 - Queensland Women 10

Venue: North Sydney Oval
Crowd: 6824
Halftime Score: New South Wales Women 10 Queensland Women 6

LeagueUnlimited.com Players of the Match:
3 points - Maddison Studdon
2 points - Ali Brigginshaw
1 points - Isabelle Kelly

NEW SOUTH WALES WOMEN (16)
Tries: Isabelle Kelly (2), Nakia Davis-welsh
Field Goals:
Conversions: Maddison Studdon (2/3)
Penalty Goals:

QUEENSLAND WOMEN (10)
Tries: Karina Brown (2)
Field Goals:
Conversions: Chelsea Baker (1/2)
Penalty Goals:

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/32053-nsw-v-qld-report/

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Really high quality stuff I thought. 30 minutes is the perfect timeframe for halves I'd say - a few people suggesting it should've been 40 but I think that would've taken away from the spectacle, plus it's what they play at club level anyway.

Sad to hear Maddie Studdon had lost her job at Port Botany during the week because she prioritised training over that, but apparently there's something in the works for her at NRL HQ which is good.

siv

First Grade
Why are they ignoring tje 19 years of prior interstate clashes

I notced Maddie Studden didnt - when she allowed a 10 game veteran lead the team out

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sad to hear Maddie Studdon had lost her job at Port Botany during the week because she prioritised training over that, but apparently there's something in the works for her at NRL HQ which is good.
Heard her talking on the ABC about this. She worked as a stevedore on the wharves and had to make the choice between that or playing Rugby League. With so much money in the mens NRL we sometimes forget about the class divide that gave us Rugby League. For mine, Maddie Studdon gave us a healthy reminder of the working class roots of the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Good game! I wonder if this will develop into a three match series also.

What do we think about the stand-alone women's fixture? I think there is merit to playing the men's and women's game on the same night at the same stadium - make it a 'whole of game' event like how (for example) grand slam tennis combines the men's and women's - also follows on from what the Rugby League World Cup did.

no name

Coach

What do we think about the stand-alone women's fixture? I think there is merit to playing the men's and women's game on the same night at the same stadium - make it a 'whole of game' event like how (for example) grand slam tennis combines the men's and women's - also follows on from what the Rugby League World Cup did.
I dunno about tennis, the venue is the same, but the men's and women's finals are totally separate events on different days.

Not sure whether they should keep it as stand alone, on one hand it would be good to have the men and women play at the same venue one after the other, but would it be televised, would it take away from the spectacle of the women's match?
Origin curtain raisers are usually non events due to lack of promotion, access and therefore interest.

adamkungl

Immortal
It should absolutely stand alone. I think the event proved itself. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it hits double figures next year.

Curtain raisers are almost always non-events.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Fair enough, so if not double headers then what should we aim for over the next 5 years for women's origin? For me it's a three match series aiming for healthy crowds in stadia like:

- Western Sydney Stadium
- Newcastle
- New North QLD Stadium
- WIN Stadium
- Robina Stadium, Gold Coast
- Dolphin Oval Redcliffe

MilkShark

First Grade
What’s happens if they sign a 4 year contract and 2 years into the contract they fall pregnant?

Honest question.

Reactions: siv

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

really liked it, watched it twice, I heard during the commentary that next year it will be a 2 game series, one is each state