What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Jason Maher

Immortal
It will take a miracle for Dugan/Hopoate to be an even remotely competent defensive pairing. I just don't understand how experience in Origin counts for more then sensational form AND playing in your club position.

Neither player deserves to be there on form. Neither player is playing in their club position.

Who are these great defenders that should have been picked instead?

Glen

Bench
I do LOL at the fact that the Dragons are so terrible that they are now being used as a trial squad for the NSW Origin team

JJ

Immortal
FMD

Gallen, Woods, Merrin, Watmough, Tamou are all middle forwards. That's more than 2.

and Bird has played there before. It's not like throwing a bloke who has never played there let alone showed any form in that part of the ground, like Daley did with Williams in Game 1. Bird played the whole 2013 series in the middle as Hoffman was the left forward then too.

I meant in the starting team, that's all - I know Merrin, Watmough and Tamou are middle forwards but their on the bench, and have no drama with Bird in the middle, just not sure that's where he's best...

good on ya

Ridiculous that Dugan gets in after 1 good game against a combined NSW Cup / NYC side.

This!

Picking Dugan is a joke - when we have picked him, he hasn't contributed. And I don't think Hoppa should have been there either.

There are plenty of other wingers - pick them on form, not because they have played before. Topou was a rookie last game and he was fine.

mxlegend99

Referee
Who are these great defenders that should have been picked instead?
Luke Lewis at right centre. Has played far more centre in his career then Dugan, and has been used as a mr fix it in both centre and wing for NSW and Australia in the past, doing a great job. Even Beau Scott would have been a better option, about as likely to pass the ball to his winger. But is atleast capable of defending at right centre.

Josh Dugan has played two games at right centre... the first he was deadset shit, and the second he looked reasonable against a Sharks side missing 13 first grade players. Given he can't even perform there at a first grade level, what chance does he have against QLD?

This is nothing against Josh Dugan... he's a good fullback and if he was at fullback I wouldn't be too concerned about his selection at all. But if Greg Inglis is fit, the game has already been lost as Dugan/Hopoate will stand absolutely no chance against the QLD left edge that manages to score against even the best defenders.

mxlegend99

Referee
Duges has been good in his 3 origin games, don't see a problem.
He is a fullback. He has played his entire career at fullback.

Until 2 weeks ago... where he was moved to right centre and got absolutely owned. Then this week he played against a reserve grade side and managed to score a few tries.

Apparently a single game against the worst team running in dead last, while missing even more players then they have against any other team this season is enough to get a guy into an Origin jersey in a position they have next to no experience playing.

But carving up in the City vs Country game (a supposed Origin trial) means absolutely nothing. :lol:

TheManBearPig

Juniors
He is a fullback. He has played his entire career at fullback.

Until 2 weeks ago... where he was moved to right centre and got absolutely owned. Then this week he played against a reserve grade side and managed to score a few tries.

Apparently a single game against the worst team running in dead last, while missing even more players then they have against any other team this season is enough to get a guy into an Origin jersey in a position they have next to no experience playing.

But carving up in the City vs Country game (a supposed Origin trial) means absolutely nothing. :lol:

Beau Scott? :lol:

He can barely defend in the second row and you want to put him in the centers?

Scott was really the only reason QLD got points on the board. His pathetic arm grabs and stupidity on NSW's line led to the first try (takes a cheap shot on Slater instead of playing the ball which forces Josh Morris to cover him which resulted in space for Boyd to score). Then in the last 15 min of the game, he missed yet another tackle that led to a GI linebreak that would of cost us the game if it hadn't been for J. Morris running in from the sideline after checking with the trainers.

Unfortunately, the vast majority seem to think one or two key tackles make up for all the shit he produced for 60-70 minutes.

I'll take my chances with Dugan.

Spot On

Coach
toadies plan . attack hoppa, dugan, with kicks , runs, passes

That's been the plan for nearly nine years and it's worked a treat so far. 8 from 8. Not like it's going to be a new thing for NSW to try and defend. Boyd nearly pulled a hat trick out of his arse in game 1 down that side. Both Hoppa and the Dugan should know exactly what to expect.

Last edited:

stormbati

Bench
Ok am I the only one that doesn't like Lewis being picked?
I love the bloke but he's played 2 or 3 games all year and was a passenger last origin.
Hope he fires up in Game 2 though.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Ok am I the only one that doesn't like Lewis being picked?
I love the bloke but he's played 2 or 3 games all year and was a passenger last origin.
Hope he fires up in Game 2 though.

Don't know what game you were watching. I thought Luke Lewis brought great impact last game.

Dazzat

First Grade
Shitting yourself already Daz :lol:

No ... just observing the incredible intellect and planning skills of the NSW camp. Just reading between the lines, Daley planned the injury to Josh Morris so that he could introduce Dugan into the side. Pure genius.

Latest posts