What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nutrition thread - recipes, hints etc

Sir Biffo

Bench
Seeing as though a lot of people on this section are trying to shed a few excess kilos I think a thread on some healthy nutritious recipes could be helpful. Good bodies are built in the kitchen, not in the gym!

The AIS website is full of AWESOME recipes which are cheap, easy and quick to make.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/recipes

I think a lot of people tend to overthink their nutrition and get caught up in the world of calorie counting, supplements etc (see the carbo thread for evidence of that!).

I normally run off the principle that if I can pick it off a tree or dig it out of the ground then you can eat as much of it as you like. Simply eating these unprocessed foods which our digestive systems were designed to handle will give you all the vitamins and nutrients you need without spending a fortune on gimmicky supplements.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Yes, roo mince is frigging ridiculous. About $5 a kilo, so lean, packed full of protein. Use this in spag bol, you can hardly taste the difference and its way better for you than the 3 star beef they serve out.

Johns Magic

Referee
In fact a couple of months ago when I was buying it at the supermarket an attendant came up to me and asked if I'd ever eaten it before, which I had. I told him I eat it a lot, you've just got to make sure it's cooked rare. He said "definitely. I used to work in a restaurant in Alice Springs and all these Yanks would come in and order the kangaroo steak, well done. I'd try to tell them it was best served rare but they like their steaks like boots over there and insisted. Then they would complain that it was too dry..."

Desert Qlder

First Grade
My tip - start your day off with a good brekkie.

I'll have a bowl of passionfruit yoghurt with fresh apple, kiwifruit, peach and pineapple, all sprinkled with a healthy dose of muesli.. Then will keep nibbling on fruit and muesli for the rest of the morning until lunch. It's just a great way to kick off the day, energy levels are high and you have a general state of wellbeing.

Kangaroo is a winner definitely aroun dinner time. I am dead set amazed at this countrys attitude towards roo and camel meat. Here we are with this wonderful resource just ready to be used and it goes to waste. Rather we'd rather cull them and allow beef cattle to lay waste to our environment, then all the best beef get shipped off overseas while happily paying $35 for a steak at the pub. Blows my mind.

Just pound the veggies people. Cooked, raw, whatever, just get em into you.

aqua_duck

Coach
Oats are my staple atm. Cheap as chips, clean, high in fibre, low fat and go down easy. I usually have 150g of oats soaked in water overnight, then blended with banana, skim milk and ice into a really nutritious smoothie for breakfast. On training days I'll do 2 of these smoothies a day.

macavity

Referee
my routine at present:

weekdays:
6am gym (20min cardio, 40min weights)
recovery shake
7:45am breakfast: 1 cup oats, 20g protein powder, 1x coffee, skim milk
10:30am protein shake
12:30pm lunch: salad with lean meat
3pm protein shake
4:30 hill walk (45-60mins)
7pm dinner: salad or veg with lean meat
9:30 bed

weekends I am a bit looser with diet (though still eat healthy) and don't hit the gym, but still go for a 90m or so walk once or twice, and a swim.

losing weight slowly, overall have gone from 123kg to 111kg, want to be at say 105 max by may (going on holidays)... we will see how I go.

I used to be around the 102 mark and healthy, but stuffed my back (2 prolapsed discs) in 2005 and was off my feet for near 2 years - ballooned out to 123. I am near 30 now, can't believe how much harder it is to get in shape than when I was early/mid 20s.

I was hitting the gym hard but not really getting anywhere until I fixed my diet about 6 months ago. A lot easier now, though I do love my food so it is taking a hell of a lot of discipline. Changing to morning workouts helped too I think (though the 5am wake up can also be a struggle!).

To get things back on topic - I have an absolutely awesome nutrition program/recipie book - healthy desserts and everything. I can email it to anyone who wants to PM me.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
I didn't know it at the time, but i was lucky as a kid to eat oily old Lake Macquarie mullet 3 or 4 times a week.
The local fishermen couldn't sell the stuff because lake mullet had a muddy flavour, so you could get as much as you could carry home for a dollar, and the locals loved the stuff (it's a real acquired taste, and all in the way you cook it).
Oily fish is now a health food, but because the lake is closed to commercial fishing now you can't get it unless you want to catch it yourself, and ocean mullet is completely different in taste.

Sir Biffo

Bench
One hint as well for those trying to clean up their diets - don't do it all at once. Make one small change a week. Have a bit less cheese on your pasta, maybe don't have the 3PM mars bar every day, have one less sugar in your coffee. When changing your eating habits it needs to be something you can sustain.

Also - eat "normally" for one day a week. Have a slice of cake, go to your favourite takeaway, have a double whipped cream-a-chino, whatever. It will help you stay sane and be able to stick to your diet! It's not what you eat one day a week that puts on the kg's, it's what you do for the other 6 days ...

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
my routine at present:

weekdays:
recovery shake
3pm protein shake

weekends I am a bit looser with diet (though still eat healthy) and don't hit the gym, but still go for a 90m or so walk once or twice, and a swim.

losing weight slowly, overall have gone from 123kg to 111kg, want to be at say 105 max by may (going on holidays)... we will see how I go.

I used to be around the 102 mark and healthy, but stuffed my back (2 prolapsed discs) in 2005 and was off my feet for near 2 years - ballooned out to 123. I am near 30 now, can't believe how much harder it is to get in shape than when I was early/mid 20s.

I was hitting the gym hard but not really getting anywhere until I fixed my diet about 6 months ago. A lot easier now, though I do love my food so it is taking a hell of a lot of discipline. Changing to morning workouts helped too I think (though the 5am wake up can also be a struggle!).

To get things back on topic - I have an absolutely awesome nutrition program/recipie book - healthy desserts and everything. I can email it to anyone who wants to PM me.

not a good diet.

you arent getting any real food until 12.30 in the afternoon and then 6 1/2 hours later doing it again. terrible

Sir Biffo

Bench
not a good diet.

you arent getting any real food until 12.30 in the afternoon and then 6 1/2 hours later doing it again. terrible

I don't see too much wrong with it, maybe throw some fruit in with the breakfast, apart from that I'm not a big fan of all the manufactured protein shakes and stuff but each to their own, I know a lot of people who swear by them. I'd probably sub these with a couple of handfuls of trail mix.

Good luck with the weight loss, and good on you for taking a sensible approach trying to do things slowly with managable changes that you can make into a new lifestyle.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
care to expand?

sure and i cant believe said someone said they think its ok, obviously an uneducated guess

you have lowered your calories to sweet fa. your body will get use to the new intake and you wont lose any more kgs. if your calories are already low you pretty much have nowhere to go. fat loss is not as easy as just lowering your calories and exercising more. its a gradual thing and should be with your diet aswell. start off slowly and make adjustments as the body adapts. you will find that you may well be having this about of calories eventually, but not only to loss that little bit of stubborn fat.

as strange as it may sound, you dont have enough fat in your diet either.

aqua_duck

Coach
my routine at present:

weekdays:
recovery shake
3pm protein shake

Only tip is maybe cut out the 10:30 protein shake, if your going to have a shake after workout, more protein powder for breakfast and another protein shake at 10:30 its probably too much protein for your body to absorb in that period of time. If you need that 10:30 snack/meal I'd recommend something like somke cottage cheese and abit of fruit, cottage cheese is high in protein and low in fat but unlike whey its a slow release protein which will keep you going abit longer. I'd recommend some carbs for lunch as well. I've been told to always have carbs with protein as it helps absorbtion (don't know how true that is) so maybe some rice crackers or something with your 3pm shake. Also try in incorporate something like flaxseed so you boost your amount of healthy fats.

Cliffhanger

Coach
2 are
1 not drinking enough water
2 cutting out all fat,

Always have carbs after a workout and it's also a good time for a protein shake.

If you can wake up early drink to classes of water and go for a run and have a workout, then have breakfast, trust this will improve your results dramatically.

It's also a good idea if after resistance training you do about 20 minutes of cardio to burn fat and gain muscle faster.

20 Super foods for burning fat and gaining muscle.

1. Whole Eggs. Cheap & rich source of protein: 7g/egg. The yolk contains most nutrients: half the protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.

Don’t worry about cholesterol in eggs. Dietary cholesterol isn’t bound to blood cholesterol. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away.

2. Fish Oil.
Reduces inflammation (joints/skin), lowers body fat and increases testosterone levels.

3. Wild Salmon. One of the best sources of omega 3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g protein per 100g serving. .

4. Berries.
Strong antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart & eye diseases. Any kind works: cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. FRESH OR FROZEN!!!

5. Yogurt.
Contains bacteria that improve your gastrointestinal health. Don’t buy frozen yogurt or yogurt with added sugar and fruits at the bottom. Get plain low fat yogurt. Eat it with berries & flax seeds.

6. Flax Seeds.
Source of fiber, protein & omega-3. Grind the flax seeds to get the most out of them. Take 1 tbsp with yogurt & berries before going to bed. Stay away from flax oil: it’s unstable and contains no fiber.

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

8. Mixed Nuts.
Contain mono- & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc.

9. Red Meat. Protein, vitamin B12, heme iron, zinc, creatine, carnosine and even omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef.

10. Broccoli.
High in cancer-fighting phtochemicals and anti-estrogenic indoles. Broccoli is also high in soluble fiber and low calorie.

11. Spinach.
One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach prevents muscle & bone loss, but also cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile.

12. Turkey.
The leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it’s so dry).

13. Quinoa.
Quinoa is higher in fiber & protein than rice or oats, tastes a lot better and is gluten free. Buy the whiter grain, it’s better quality. Eat it post workout with meat & spinach.

14. Oats.
Reduce cholesterol, provide you with low-gi carbs for energy, and high in soluble fiber.

15. Tomatoes
. High in lycopene, which prevents cancer. The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes. Have pizza or pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.

16. Oranges.
Vitamin C to fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc. Quit drinking processed orange juice which often has added sugars. Eat oranges or make your own orange juice.

17. Apples.
Pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidant after cranberries (eat the peels).

18. Carrots.
Their huge vitamin A content improves eye-health, especially night vision. Carrots are also rich in fiber, low calorie and taste good, even raw.

19. Water.
Your body holds water if you don’t drink enough. Drinking prevents water retention, helps muscle recovery and prevents dehydration from strength training . Drink 2 cups of water with each meal.

20. Green Tea.
Strong antioxidant and natural diuretic. Green tea also speeds up fat loss, prevents cancer and improves blood sugar & circulation. Drink green tea in the morning instead of coffee. Real green tea, not the teabags.

IanG

Coach
In fact a couple of months ago when I was buying it at the supermarket an attendant came up to me and asked if I'd ever eaten it before, which I had. I told him I eat it a lot, you've just got to make sure it's cooked rare. He said "definitely. I used to work in a restaurant in Alice Springs and all these Yanks would come in and order the kangaroo steak, well done. I'd try to tell them it was best served rare but they like their steaks like boots over there and insisted. Then they would complain that it was too dry..."

Never tried Kangaroo meat before. Been meaning to though. I'm told it can be a dry meat
Kangaroo and Skippy Pie

Latest posts