What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC players as free replacements

The Engineers Room

First Grade
When the NYC (Toyota Cup) first started there was a rule that was put in place that if a player in the NRL game was injured and couldn't return, they could be replaced in the game by an NYC player as long as the NYC player had played that day. Teams used to grab two forwards and two backs in the first year and sit them on the bench in case they were required.

My question is does this rule still apply/exist and if it has been removed then why? As it is a great idea to address injuries in the game.

Canard

Immortal
I was living overseas in 2008, but did this rule actually exist?

Teams had 8 men bench with 4 replacements? Surely not? This seems like an April Fools joke?

I would find it hard to believe that it was considered acceptable to play an U/20s player at NRL level after they had finished a game only 45mins beforehand.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
There wasn't an 8 man bench. What it was, was if an NRL player got injured and couldn't return to the game he could be replaced on the bench by an NYC player.

Teams left 4 U20s players there just in case but I can't remember anyone using it.

Canard

Immortal
Are you positive?

So if a first grader got injured in the first minute of the game and couldn't return an NYC player could play 79mins after just playing 45mins earlier?

Did this mean teams had 12 interchanges (as it was then) only or 12 interchanges + 2 replacements ???

siv

First Grade
Bring back Reserve Grade - and have ALL bench players play minimum of 40 min in the lower grades

DC_fan

Coach
There wasn't an 8 man bench. What it was, was if an NRL player got injured and couldn't return to the game he could be replaced on the bench by an NYC player.

Teams left 4 U20s players there just in case but I can't remember anyone using it.

Never heard of such a rule.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Are you positive?

So if a first grader got injured in the first minute of the game and couldn't return an NYC player could play 79mins after just playing 45mins earlier?

Did this mean teams had 12 interchanges (as it was then) only or 12 interchanges + 2 replacements ???

I'm positive but I can't remember the specifics. All I know is that teams would have a few NYC players sitting on the bench just in case but no-one used the rule.

I just wonder if it was written out of the competition rules or it was just forgotten because no one used it.

I believe that at one time players in the reserve grade were allowed to enter the game as replacements, but as far as I know that rule went away long before anyone dreamed of interchanged or a NYC.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
NYC should be abolished.

U23's and reserve grade please. The idea is ok, just choosing the wrong talent to pick from.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
This rule never existed.

Wrong. Reserve grade in the early 80's (or maybe late 70's, not quite sure on the year it switched over) and before were the guys who made up the bench when a 4 substitute permanent interchange existed. They played in the reserve grade game earlier.