What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nyc

roopy

Referee
NYC: Canterbury – Bankstown Bulldogs v Newcastle Knights
3:15pm Saturday 13 March 2010
ANZ Stadium
1. Neenan Simpson - Tiny aboriginal guy from souths i think - exciting ball runner - and could get killed at any time - so keeps you on the edge of your seat.
2. Aaron Fairweather - huge aboriginal guy up from Ball last season - would be amazing if he ran straight some time
3. Peter Mata’utia
4. Harmony Hunt
5. Nick Dwan
6. Tyrone Roberts
7. Adrian Davis - very clever halfback - back from 2 years at the dogs - angry little guy apparently
8. Jake Finn
9. Alai Taufaao - small, but great vision and excellent passing game - comes from souths i think
10. Cruise Wilson
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Matt Herman - big, lean queensland kid - reminds me of Simmo
13. Ethan Cook (c)
Interchange
14. Rodney Mason - up from Ball - looks like Willie
15. Chad Redman - a future captain in firstgrade - now a hooker - lock in ball last year - centre in Mathews the year before - halfback for Hunter sports high
16. Brendon Simpson - country boy - second rower
17. Tyler Sullivan - future star - played some NYC last year at 16 - should be in Ball winning us a title (along with Redman)
18. Shaun Boss
19. Joshua Ailaomai
Coach: Garth Brennan

perverse

Referee
i've had a few people talk up neenan to me... keen to see how the little fella goes.

roopy

Referee
That is an exciting side.
Not sure how well they will defend, but nearly every player is a serious threat in attack.
Simpson from fullback is dynamic. He is lightning off the mark and so small he seems to run through their legs at times.
Fairwether is a wrecking ball.
Hunt and Mata'utia both have a million moves and great passing games, and can both find the line.
Dwan seems to lope along and change direction in defiance of gravity - Peachey like.
Roberts and Davis can both cut a defence to bits.
In the forwards Tetevano, Ailoami and Cook are all constant threats.
Taufoaa is as clever with the ball as anyone, and Sullivan will bring more attack from the bench.

I don't see any great defenders there - but we might win every game 50-40.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I don't see any great defenders there - but we might win every game 50-40.
that's how a lot of NYC matches go anyway.

think we'll fair any better this year than last at this level roops? put your reputation on the line buddy, i want some strong tips here ;-)

roopy

Referee
that's how a lot of NYC matches go anyway.

think we'll fair any better this year than last at this level roops? put your reputation on the line buddy, i want some strong tips here ;-)
Last year the coaches were obviously trying to develop players for the future.
They never named an injured guy, played guys out of position every week just to see how they would go, and picked younger guys over better guys for development reasons.

This year i think they have picked up guys like Simpson, Taufoaa and Davis, who are too small to ever play firstgrade, but great little players, because we are going to have a shot at this thing.

Top 8 for sure - and top 4 i hope.

aqua_duck

Coach
Simpson was the 2008 Australian schoolboys fullback, highly rated, very matty Bowen like.
BTW Simpson and Taufaao are both from the dogs

footy1

Juniors
That's a fairly strong side. The backs are absolutely dynamic. They have speed all over the park and their halves and hooker are very creative. The backrow is very strong and look for Tetavano, Ailaomoi and Cook to cause some serious damage on the edges.

Watch out for Alai Taufaao, Chad Redman and Tyler Sullivan who are all still eligible for SG Ball but are obviously thought very highly of to skip that season and start the season in NYC.

roopy

Referee
It would be fantastic if Chris Marlborough can make it back before the end of the season - and i suppose it's a pipe dream, but an appearence by Jeremy Papamau would be the story of the year. He's missed two seasons through cancer, but he was a star in the making.

Pika

Bench
Dane Cordner back in NYC. He will get his chance.

This team will win on the back of their defence.

I have no idea what you see in Sullivan.

The rest I agree with, except Wilson, who after Finn, is our best front rower by a mile.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
So it might be worth turning up early this year Roops? :p

Dane Cordner back in NYC. He will get his chance.

This team will win on the back of their defence.

I have no idea what you see in Sullivan.

The rest I agree with, except Wilson, who after Finn, is our best front rower by a mile.
That's the opposite to what Roopy said. Someone's lying :lol:

Pika

Bench
roopy is justified in his comment.

NYC as a whole has had terrible defence in the past, Newcastle certainly no exception.

While I dont expect the competition to suddenly tighten up like NRL, I do expect much better things from Knights NYC in defence.

It all starts this weekend. I would be disappointed if we did not hold the Dogs to under 18 points.

Whether we score 20 or 60, I dont care.

roopy

Referee
I find it hard to think of Tetevano and Ailoami as good defenders, although they made big strides in that department last year - and the new guys like Simpson, Davis and Taufoaa all seem small, so i'm not thinking they will be great defenders - and in my mind Wilson is the guy who let in 3 soft tries for Hunter sports high a few years ago and always look suspect defending on the line.
Mason goes for big hits and doesn't always wrap up his man.
Cook, Finn and Pete are all great defenders, and Herman looked pretty good for the 20 minutes or so i've seen him play.
I suppose the key is if the new guys defend above their weight, and if our forwards aim up in defense.
I would like to see one prop like Cordner who loves to defend though. He must be a better option than Mason at this stage.

roopy

Referee
I'm working.
I haven't worked a weekend in a year - but all my whinging about not getting my fair share of penalties has 'paid off'.