What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ, CC or GC

In-goal

Bench
Well with the race on now for the elusive 16th franchise one has to sit back and wonder who will offer more to the game, NZ having a second side could open up a whole new frontier for the game on the club scene as well as the test scene.

GC would hopefuly bring to an end of the Broncos dominace on the SE QLD market and get more people back into the game.

CC have never been given a show and are just deserved, they produce many thousands of juniors and suley can't be far off the mark.

Personaly with the new tax coming into fruition on pokies it may hamper the CC bid, relocation for current clubs to QLD and NZ maybe on the cards.

joshreading

Staff member
If only one side can come in then it should be the Queensland side as that is needed to keep Queensland Rugby League dominant over other sports.

NZ should be next, not another NSW team.

However a team from Sydney should be encouraged to move at some point.

Rooster Alex

Juniors
IMHO Brisbane/GC would be my pick for a "new" team. Being a (inter)national competition it's a joke that there is only one SE Qld team.

I look at the positive experience of Port Adelaide in the AFL and think that they should perhaps look at "promoting" a local club side to the NRL.

Special K

Coach
I'll say Gold Coast. But a CC would work and so would a 2nd NZ...I'd love to see all 3 in the comp in the near future

Matta

Juniors
I don't think NZ should have another just yet, but look at how Rugby League was brought to Melbourne! CC or GC would be a better choice IMO. They can introduce more teams later, but if we have too many they may need to cut teams!

DIEHARD

----
Central Coast coming in before Brisbane #2 or the Gold Coast? Relocate Sydney clubs to Queensland? Dont insult me boy. NSW already has 10 clubs, QLD has 2. Queensland has a strong rugby league culture as long as NSW's, when will our tradition and history be recongnised?

Two americanised franchises owned by News Ltd. Fantastic! :roll:

SP

Bench
Bring in the whole 3 to have 18 teams

or on the other hand, i wouldnt mind seeing GC or another NZ side

Stevo_G

Juniors
a teamto qeensland has to come first and talks of union national comp having a team on the gc it needs to come even quicker

bazza

Referee
I think we should consider possible future sides in certain areas
a. Juniors (number of junior playersthe club could draw from)
b. Finances
c. Support
d. Location
e. Facilities

My rankings would be
Juniors:
1. Gold Coast (would have SE Qld and Nth NSW to draw from)
2. NZ (would share NZ with Warriors)
3. CC (a lot of juniors but a lot of competition from other NSW clubs)

Finances:
1. Gold Coast (have a group of people each willing to put forward $1.5 million to kick it off)
2. CC (John Singleton is main backer - perhaps CC Leagues would be there as well)
3. NZ (No formal syndicate yet but talk of a billion backer is good)

Support:
1. GC - got good crowds for pre-season trial games
2. NZ - get good crowds in Aukland and matches in Wellington have been OK
3. CC - good at times but not too many went to the northern eagles games

1. NZ - confirms league presence internationally
2. GC - covers most of Qld, SE Qld is a growth area
3. CC - too close to Sydney and Newcastle

Facilities:
1. CC - good stadium in Gosford
2. NZ - have a good stadium in Wellington and other areas
3. GC - have to renovate Carrara

So overall we have
1. GC (8)
2. NZ (10)
3. CC (12)

ali

Bench
NZ for mine. Wellington or Christchurch, I'm not too fussed. As the team from Christchurch won the NZ comp, League down there must be doing ok.

dimitri

First Grade
If only one side can come in then it should be the Queensland side as that is needed to keep Queensland Rugby League dominant over other sports.

NZ should be next, not another NSW team.

However a team from Sydney should be encouraged to move at some point.

i agree

perhaps the pokie tax will encourage some clubs to relocate

In-goal

Bench
I like the next bloke don't care personaly if there are 10 teams in the NRL or 30 as long as they can remain viable.

Stat 1 Any new team coming into the NRL will be frowned at buy the current clubs as they will be seen to be taking some of there TV revenue.

stat 2 any new club wishing to belong to the NRL must be fully self funded and not require NRL handouts for the first 5 season under the provision that they are not in Development areas i.e. Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

stat 3 the NRL is the only competition in Australasia that can become truly nation wide for instance a AFL club could never work in Townsville, Auckland or Newcaslte. RU would always strugle to drum up support in Newcastle and North Queensland.

RL could survive quite well in all the following providing infastructure is set in place.

Sydney
Brisbane
Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
Newcastle
Canberra
Wollongong
Townsville
Gold Coast
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch

Thats 13 cities not including the likes of numerous clubs in Sydney and Brisbane.

Eelectrica

Referee
With the pokie tax I think a Sydney team will relocate to the Gold Coast. If that happens bring in a new team to the central coast.
If no teams relocate then bring a new team on the Gold Coast.

The support is definately there for the Gold coast - as it would be for the central coast. I'm not sure what an additional NZ team would do for the league.

The Observer

Staff member
In the words of David Gallop, the NRL is wary of straying too far away from the ideal of a home and away competition. Considering the season is long as it is that means a 14 team competition.

Manly should look at making up with the Central Coast, rebranding the club and becoming a dual base club like St George Illawarra. Manly-Central Coast Sea Eagles.

If the Gold Coast Consortium are serious about getting back into the NRL, then they should look to represent South East Queensland as a whole by staging half their games in Brisbane, whether it be at ANZ or Lang Park.

The Warriors could placate Wellington and Christchurch by taking one or two home games to each venue.

This way the NRL can be taken to three new areas without increasing the number of teams in the comp.

forgotten_hero

Juniors
I would definetly put my tip in for the Gold Coast because Queensland is at risk with only one team in se qld of being overtaken by the other sports and in particular the afl which is growing its support base on the Gold Coast all the time and don't forget this is in a rl heartland. I could see the gc team succeeding only if they are managed properly. This is a major issue and a suitable owner must therefore be found before any club is let in.