What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ needs a second team - Tony Kemp

RoosTah

Juniors
This is a little over a week old, but for those who missed it:

NZ should have a second NRL franchise

OPINION: The time is right for the NRL to give a licence to another franchise in New Zealand.

Especially with Marwan Koukash, from Salford in the United Kingdom, looking to throw money at a franchise.

When the last round of franchises came around, the year Gold Coast got a licence, Wellington really missed an opportunity - that licence should have gone to Wellington. There was a bid but it was secretive and the NRL didn't understand the New Zealand landscape as far as rugby league goes.

The NRL is trying to grow the Asia-Pacific and the Americas but first of all they need another franchise in New Zealand.

New Zealand is really important to the NRL - we supply the NRL with more players than Queensland and Queensland has three teams.

Based on population and the number of players supplied to the NRL, we are already well ahead of just the one franchise. We need more. And, it won't affect the Warriors. The Warriors can't keep everyone. There isn't enough opportunity in New Zealand.

In Australia, the players stay in their state and if we had more players able to stay here and be developed it would actually strengthen the Warriors. It wouldn't weaken them.

You would have a better base competition that could supply the numbers into both franchises and that way kids wouldn't want to leave New Zealand. The reason why the best don't leave Australia is because they have enough teams there to supply. Whereas in New Zealand they have no choice if they don't make the cut with the Warriors.

You only have to look at the likes of Peta Hiku and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - if there had been another franchise and they didn't have to leave New Zealand I am pretty sure they would still be in the mix.

I actually think Christchurch would be a great place to have another franchise. If the city really got behind an NRL franchise bid then the city would be the perfect place with its economy and the way the rebuild is happening at the moment.

I know Wellington is really set up well with the Cake Tin and close to the talent pools in the mid and central North Island and top of the South Island, and, yes, the majority of league players are up in Auckland, but you can't look at it like that.

You have to look at it from an overall rugby - oval ball - perspective. Rugby is the biggest sport in this country and why not give these talented youngsters another professional sporting opportunity. The numbers that go through oval ball sports in general mean there are more than enough to fill another NRL franchise.

A proposal should never be put together just around rugby league. It should be put together around the school system in New Zealand that encourages oval ball sports. It's a no brainer.

And the time is ripe because you have someone like Koukash who wants to invest in a franchise. He would do himself a big favour if he was to say he wanted to come to New Zealand and supply the cash injection to put a franchise in New Zealand.

I think it's a really good opportunity and it's a viable business in New Zealand.

The commercial rights, the TV rights and the big name players mean the NRL is only going to get better. It's the perfect time to get involved.

- Sunday News

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10442458/Kemp-NZ-should-have-a-second-NRL-franchise

I have to say I completely agree, but it's an interesting point he makes about the number of players NZ supply - I didn't know they had more than Queensland, and it actually surprised me a bit.

More broadly though, having another NZ team - and I think Christchurch is actually the way to go (better stadium and better development) - will also simultaneously help to strengthen the interest in the NRL in NZ and build depth in the NZ national team by offering a clear local professional choice for young rugby league and union juniors (and hopefully eat into the All Blacks depth a little too).

Ultimately, I reckon we should be aiming for three in NZ though - Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. That would give the kiwis some serious local rivalries and also help grow the TV contract pie further. Of course, the Warriors would need to change their name back to 'Auckland'.

I also think Perth should get a team as a priority, but if they want to keep the number even and move to 18, then the next logical choice should be NZ.

Last edited:

jamesgould

Juniors
The Christchurch argument seems stupid to me ... let's base the team in a rugby union heartland, rather than the place that gets much better crowds to league games, has many more juniors, and has a much bigger league tradition. It would be a typical rugby league decision, I'll give him that.

RoosTah

Juniors
I reckon there's a case for Christchurch based just on the similar populations to Wellington and the better stadium (let's face it - the only footy code the cake tin works for is AFL).

jamesgould

Juniors
Westpac Stadium isn't as bad as many seem to think, imo at least. Even the front row seats are elevated a good two metres, so it's a great view no matter where you are sitting. Sure, in an ideal world it would be rectangular, but I have to say I still find it miles better than Eden Park, for example.

The facilities for teams/media/corporates are great ... I'm not sure it's a good idea to base a team in a city because of the shape of the stadium, especially when less people show up to games there.

They are currently looking at the cost of rectangularising Westpac Stadium, as well.

RoosTah

Juniors
Is it seriously possible to make an oval stadium rectangular without a complete rebuild?

shiznit

Coach

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10442458/Kemp-NZ-should-have-a-second-NRL-franchise

I have to say I completely agree, but it's an interesting point he makes about the number of players NZ supply - I didn't know they had more than Queensland, and it actually surprised me a bit.

More broadly though, having another NZ team - and I think Christchurch is actually the way to go (better stadium and better development) - will also simultaneously help to strengthen the interest in the NRL in NZ and build depth in the NZ national team by offering a clear local professional choice for young rugby league and union juniors (and hopefully eat into the All Blacks depth a little too).

Ultimately, I reckon we should be aiming for three in NZ though - Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. That would give the kiwis some serious local rivalries and also help grow the TV contract pie further. Of course, the Warriors would need to change their name back to 'Auckland'.

I also think Perth should get a team as a priority, but if they want to keep the number even and move to 18, then the next logical choice should be NZ.
Better stadium?? Christchurch don't have a stadium...

That thing they have down there is a temp stadium. Which is miles behind westpac stadium in Wellington.

RoosTah

Juniors
Better stadium?? Christchurch don't have a stadium...

That thing they have down there is a temp stadium. Which is miles behind westpac stadium in Wellington.

I should have said "will" - I attended an investor presentation on Christchurch not long ago in which they spoke about a substantial redevelopment that should be ready in a next few years - about the time that the NRL will consider expansion.

jamesgould

Juniors
Is it seriously possible to make an oval stadium rectangular without a complete rebuild?

That's what they are looking into, fingers crossed it is (well, I'm sure it is, but it comes down to cost).

Either way I still think it's a quality stadium.

shiznit

Coach
I should have said "will" - I attended an investor presentation on Christchurch not long ago in which they spoke about a substantial redevelopment that should be ready in a next few years - about the time that the NRL will consider expansion.
Fair enough...

Although I'm doubtful anything will be done before 2020.

The political climate is very sensitive down there... There are parts of the city struggling for basic public amenities and services so a stadium is far from a priority for both local and central govt.

RoosTah

Juniors
Fair enough...

Although I'm doubtful anything will be done before 2020.

The political climate is very sensitive down there... There are parts of the city struggling for basic public amenities and services so a stadium is far from a priority for both local and central govt.

I suppose that's a given.

All the same, for the longer term I like the idea of having 3 teams in NZ (along with 1 in Perth).

Perth Red

Post Whore
In an ideal world expansion in 2017 would see perth and Brisbane with wellington brought in 2020. Of course it isnt an ideal world and the NRL has little interest, it seems, in developing thegame in NZ. The NZRl is desperate for money to grow the game but despite taking $20mill plus a year out of NZ the NRL offers them nothing.

Not only that but god forbid the Kangaroos should be consistently second fiddle to the Kiwis!

RoosTah

Juniors
In an ideal world expansion in 2017 would see perth and Brisbane with wellington brought in 2020. Of course it isnt an ideal world and the NRL has little interest, it seems, in developing thegame in NZ. The NZRl is desperate for money to grow the game but despite taking $20mill plus a year out of NZ the NRL offers them nothing.

Not only that but god forbid the Kangaroos should be consistently second fiddle to the Kiwis!

I don't think having a couple more teams in NZ would make the Kiwis dominant v the Kangaroos, in the same way having 5 Super Rugby teams hasn't made the Wallabies dominant against the ABs. But it should help all the same.

goodplayer

Juniors
yes . happens everyweek in nrl afl , change over night at ANZ stadium

I suppose that's a given.

All the same, for the longer term I like the idea of having 3 teams in NZ (along with 1 in Perth).
fully agree. bring in 2 more nz team ;-)

oikee

Juniors
Until NZ bring in a second team, they will continue to be belted by kiwis who play for aussie teams , there fans will be disappointed by average leftover players and union rejects, and they will watch all their juniors leave to join better clubs in Australia.

1 club can not keep the talent, and they should have a share system with the poms./

Let's gone Warriors need some competition in their own backyard/ there players are mentally soft. It has been said now for years, nothing will change until they find out they are not the only team in NZ. Until that day arrives, dont expect any tital.

RoosTah

Juniors
Fair points Oikee. Where would you base a second team?

yes . happens everyweek in nrl afl , change over night at ANZ stadium

Not quite the same thing... ANZ was designed to be adjustable like that. It's not like we see the SCG doing the same thing, because they can't.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Fair points Oikee. Where would you base a second team?

Not quite the same thing... ANZ was designed to be adjustable like that. It's not like we see the SCG doing the same thing, because they can't.

Would put the second team in Auckland,.
The new team could play out of Eden park, play blockbusters at Eden park, and build a rivalry between those soft Warrior boys, steal all there talent and kick their sorry butts.

I would even try and get Glen to come on board, the hate between him and Watson is legendary.
Imagine another team just across town gaining all the glory.
Same as Brisbane needs a derby team. It grows rivalry bigger and faster than having a team 1000 miles away.

Wellington is also a round field, we should refuse to play any games at round grounds.
Even in Sydney.
Our code is weak, weak, and get sand kicked in their face because they deserve it, just like the Lets gone Warriors deserve nothing, they have never earned their bread.

oikee

Juniors
I have never seen Mannering get angry. The warriors need pushing.
They need some angry pills, their fans deserve better than the dross being dished out to them.

RoosTah

Juniors
Would put the second team in Auckland,.
The new team could play out of Eden park, play blockbusters at Eden park, and build a rivalry between those soft Warrior boys, steal all there talent and kick their sorry butts.

I would even try and get Glen to come on board, the hate between him and Watson is legendary.
Imagine another team just across town gaining all the glory.
Same as Brisbane needs a derby team. It grows rivalry bigger and faster than having a team 1000 miles away.

Wellington is also a round field, we should refuse to play any games at round grounds.
Even in Sydney.
Our code is weak, weak, and get sand kicked in their face because they deserve it, just like the Lets gone Warriors deserve nothing, they have never earned their bread.

You don't think the team should go to another city?

Over on another forum a kiwi posted said Christchurch should get a team because they don't compete with Auckland for resources and there are plenty of young rugby league players in New Zealand and the crowds for a Christchurch or Auckland team would be completely different.

He also argued that Rugby League Park would be a fantastic stadium for a Christchurch franchise, as Christchurch Rugby League own the ground which means they don't have to pay high rental fees. Unlike the Warriors who needed the double the crowd at Eden Park to breakeven as they did at Mt Smart. Then the new stadium can be used to host the blockbuster games.

On top of that, you'd get that north south rivalry going and you wouldn't need to create a whole new identity for a second Auckland team (naming would be tricky - what would you call them? 'Auckland City'?)

mongoose

Coach
You don't think the team should go to another city?

Over on another forum a kiwi posted said Christchurch should get a team because they don't compete with Auckland for resources and there are plenty of young rugby league players in New Zealand and the crowds for a Christchurch or Auckland team would be completely different.

He also argued that Rugby League Park would be a fantastic stadium for a Christchurch franchise, as Christchurch Rugby League own the ground which means they don't have to pay high rental fees. Unlike the Warriors who needed the double the crowd at Eden Park to breakeven as they did at Mt Smart. Then the new stadium can be used to host the blockbuster games.

On top of that, you'd get that north south rivalry going and you wouldn't need to create a whole new identity for a second Auckland team (naming would be tricky - what would you call them? 'Auckland City'?)

It's a bit tricky with Christchurch still rebuilding, the central town still looks like a warzone. Not sure if a new sports team is on the list of priorities down there, which is a shame because I think they would support an NRL team more than Wellington. From my experience Wellington folk are very parochial and anti-Aussie.

RoosTah

Juniors
It's a bit tricky with Christchurch still rebuilding, the central town still looks like a warzone. Not sure if a new sports team is on the list of priorities down there, which is a shame because I think they would support an NRL team more than Wellington. From my experience Wellington folk are very parochial and anti-Aussie.

Perhaps it's more one for the 2020 mark, but to me Christchurch just seems like a smart place to establish a team given the amount of investment going into the place with the rebuild (I work for a Japanese organisation and I know there's quite a bit of Japanese interest in the reconstruction effort), the great player depth across both codes of rugby down there and the fact that you'd be able to build on an already strong Christchurch-Auckland rivalry.