What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ overtakes Australia in test rankings

Fourth Test collapse sees Australia drop below NZ in Test rankings
By Matt Bungard
4 April 2018 — 8:17am

A combination of Australia's embarassing performance in the fourth Test and New Zealand's gritty rearguard action in their clash with England has seen the Black Caps leap ahead of their neighbours across the ditch in the ICC World Test Rankings.

Australia collapsed to be all out for 119 in the fourth innings in Johannesburg, losing to South Africa by 492 runs. The Proteas will finish the Test season as the second-ranked nation, behind India.

6a0b3a7f68de9579dce34574ba95ea1bfb1f8d96

Fourth place: Australia have dropped below New Zealand in the Test rankings.

Photo: AP
While Australia were floundering, New Zealand were digging their heels in. Chasing 382 for victory in the second and final Test against England, the home side were six down for under 200 before superb efforts from Colin de Grandhomme (45 off 97 deliveries), Ish Sodhi (56* off 168) and Neil Wagner (7 off 103) saw day five end with England frustrated and New Zealand 8-256, forcing a draw and winning the series 1-0.

The results see Australia drop to fourth place behind New Zealand - but still above England, who sit fifth - and the change in positions will have a slight financial impact as well.

The ICC awards $1 million dollars to the top nation at the end of the Test season, with the runners-up getting $500,000, and third place getting $200,000. Fourth gets $100,000.

Steve Smith remains the No.1 ranked batsman in Test cricket, ahead of Virat Kohli, who is the top dog in 50 over cricket. New Zealand's Colin Munro ranks just narrowly higher than Australia's Glenn Maxwell in the T20 batting rankings.

Josh Hazelwood sits as the best Australian bowler, ranked fifth in Tests (South African Kagiso Rabada is first) and third in ODIs (India's Jasprit Bumrah is on top).

Shakib Al Hasan is the consensus best all-rounder in the world, the Bangladesh star sitting atop both the Test and ODI list of players who are skilled with both bat and ball, and also sits third in the T20 all-rounder rankings, which are led by Maxwell.

New Zealand are now ranked above Australia in both Tests and limited-overs cricket, with the two nations sitting fourth and fifth respectively on the ODI table. Australia fare a little better in the international Twenty20 rankings, placing second behind Pakistan.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...elow-nz-in-test-rankings-20180404-p4z7n6.html

Not bad eh?

So now we're better at both ODI's and Tests than Australia. But don't worry Australia, you're still better at pyjama cricket due to your awesome Big Bash League.

Bazal

Post Whore
Tbh you should just tag El Diablo and be done with it. We all know that's the ultimate goal of this thread.

As the oldest of several brothers, I can say it's always nice when little brother gives you a new mark to beat.

Tbh you should just tag El Diablo and be done with it. We all know that's the ultimate goal of this thread.

As the oldest of several brothers, I can say it's always nice when little brother gives you a new mark to beat.

True, but where's the fun in that?

Sometimes it's good being little brother...

JJ

Immortal

The absolute best thing about Australia's troubles is that that merkin hasn't been sighted in the cricket forum for a few weeks

He's pretty keen to point out when Tommy goes missing (and me, although I don't TBH - I understand we generally suck lol) - but El Diablo's vanishing acts are David Copperfield-like compared to Tommy Smith around an English batting collapse

Tommy Smith

Referee
The absolute best thing about Australia's troubles is that that merkin hasn't been sighted in the cricket forum for a few weeks

He's pretty keen to point out when Tommy goes missing (and me, although I don't TBH - I understand we generally suck lol) - but El Diablo's vanishing acts are David Copperfield-like compared to Tommy Smith around an English batting collapse
Tbh I was making fun of the England cricket team more than the Aussies were in the Ashes threads.

I was almost certain we'd lose either 4 nil or 5 nil - with our poor and old attack making the Aussies look like a team of Sachin's on their roads - so I just had a good old fashioned laugh at our ineptitude as the ship went down.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
NZ Rugby > AUS Rugby
NZ Cricket > AUS Cricket
NZ accent > AUS accent
NZ fashion sense > AUS fashion sense
NZ lesbians > AUS lesbians
Matt Wade > Joseph Parker
Yeah, you forgot horses - thoroughbreds and standard breds...

Doesn't Matt Wade just fall into the lesbian argument?

If we're talking catching - Matt Wade >Mitchell Santner - close run thing though

JJ

Immortal
Split Enz > Crowded House
Martin Crowe > Russell Crowe

Well, they're all ours - but you seem determined to claim CH and RC

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Kiwis have done pretty well lately and slowly climbing the rankings, good on them, particularly their bowlers.

I really dont have an issue with them doing well, rather see them do well than the likes of India.

JJ

Immortal
Given this is a rankings thread, I see Cummins has busted into the top 10 bowlers, now at #6 - well deserved - only Aussie in top 10:
Bowlers (top 10)

Rank (+/-) Player Team Pts

1 ( - ) Kagiso Rabada SA 897

2 ( - ) James Anderson Eng 891

3 (+6) Vernon Philander SA 845

4 (-1) Ravindra Jadeja Ind 844

5 (-1) R. Ashwin Ind 803

6= ( - ) Morne Morkel SA 800

(+12) Pat Cummins Aus 800

8 (-1) Trent Boult NZ 795

9 ( - ) Rangana Herath SL 777

10 (-2) Neil Wagner NZ 765

TheParraboy

Staff member
Kiwis over took us? well ill be dammed, didn't realise we were in from of them lol

We will get them in the Commonweath Games womens netball
thats where its at