What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ perspective on Samoa

Gibbo

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10476304

Peter Jessup: Unthinkable but still a possibility

5:00AM Friday November 16, 2007
By Peter Jessup

jessup_peter16016.jpg

NRL

The building of Samoa's rugby league side with ex-Kiwis is a double-edged sword for New Zealand.
The Samoans will be well-coached by Warriors assistant John Ackland at next year's World Cup and given the poor stocks of the Kiwis at present, the unthinkable upset is not a ridiculous fantasy. At the 1995 World Cup the Kiwis only just beat a Tongan team similarly stacked with New Zealand-bred players.
The Samoans showed style and passion in their World Cup qualifying games after being forced into the repechage following a loss to Tonga. Yesterday they disposed of Lebanon 38-16 at Featherstone with a clinical display that sends a warning to other teams.
Lebanon paid for another slow start as they dropped to their first defeat in a campaign that began more than 12 months ago.
They were able to claw back half-time deficits in their earlier matches against Ireland and Wales but this time gave themselves too much to do after trailing 28-8 at halftime.
Samoa hooker Chris Vaegafa scored first, burrowing over from dummy-half, and fullback Tangi Ropati added a second try at 10 minutes. Lebanon never recovered.

The Samoans were ably led by captain Nigel Vagana at five-eighth yesterday, he and Penrith prop Frank Puletua also touching down and former Mt Albert and now Hull KR fullback Andreas Bauer sealing it with two second-half tries.
Lebanon, who made the last World Cup back in 2000 and beat Wales to get to yesterday's eliminator, scored through Adham El-Zbaideh, Tom Joseph and Danny Chiha but missed all the conversions.
Penrith halfback Joe Paulo was named man of the match. So after dumping the USA 42-10 and yesterday's victory, Samoa join Ireland, Scotland, France, Tonga and Fiji in pool B at the Cup competition in Australia next October/November.
It's easy to see Samoa finishing ahead of the more highly fancied France and Papua New Guinea. Consider their Cup squad. Cousins Nigel and Joe Vagana, Ali Lauitiiti, Tony Puletua, Motu Tony, Iafeta Paleaaesina, Matt Utai, Willie Talau, Francis Meli and David Solomona are all hardened Kiwis and NRL or Super League veterans. They are joined by Super League players Hutch Maiava, Harrison Hansen and Kylie Leuluai, Australian first-graders Phil Leuluai from Cronulla, Smith Samau the Gold Coast wing, Warriors prop Evarn Tuimavave, Roosters five-eighth Setiamata Sa, Knights centre George Carmont and Auckland Lions wing Malo Solomona. Just six of the 25-man squad come from clubs on the islands.

Of concern for the NZRL is the fact young players the likes of Hansen, Tuimavave and Sa were genuine Kiwis candidates, the first having already played the mid-year game against the Lions in 2005. That, and that further up-and-comers who qualify via their parentage may well now elect to join this strong islands side rather than play for their country of residency. The other side to the story is that a strong Samoan team that can perform at top level would be a good test for the Kiwis as build-up to their Tri Nations games.
Polynesian power is a steadily growing force in the best rugby league competitions.
It would appear that only a lack of finance might stall what promises to be Samoa's rapid elevation in world stocks - but then if they play consistently well they should be able to attract more sponsorship and broadcasting dollars.
Look out, Kiwis.

roughyedspud

Coach
ha hah ha i love it.......

is this another kiwi excuse in the making..."our best player are injured or they are play for samoa"

get the f**k out of here....

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I wouldn't mind if you got the f**k out of here.

Disapointed in Motu Tony......and kinda Nigel Vagana.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd say about 3 of those guys would have been in serious contention for a spot in the WC squad for the Kiwis next year. So thats why they are playing for Samoa....after next years WC none of them will probably even play for them again which is pretty sad.

roughyedspud

Coach
well they will play again because richard lewis' 10 year play was accepted which means samoa will play in the pacific cup with a chance to play in the 4 nations....

so players from samoa,tonga,fiji now have that carrot & stick to stay with or chose one of the island nations over NZ or AUS

roopy

Referee
A great article.
This is the first of many articles we will see that takes Samoa and Tonga seriously as league playing nations.
Strong sides posing real threats - that will 'sell' the WC.
We need France to put up a serious challenge with a win this week and we have genuine competition.

BatiFan

Juniors
You have to remember that the likes of David Solomona, Francis Meli and Frank Puletua actually played for Samoa at the 2000 WC and it is only through lack of international competition as to why they then went and played for NZ. If Samoa had a full list of meaningful internationals annually, you will find that the majority of the Samoan squad for next years WC will stick with them for the long haul. Even Joseph Paulo mentioned after the game yesterday that they were all now committed to Samoa and have pledged their alligence to Samoa. I wouldnt be surprised to see Iosia Soliola, David Fa'alogo and Sione Faumauina amongst others lining up for Samoa either come next year.

roughyedspud

Coach
good......the more the merrier..

prehaps this is why the NZ team have been labled as not showing enough heart...most of them are only playing for NZ because of lack of internationals for the islanders..not because they are proud kiwis..

Iafeta

Referee
Wasn't Evarn Tuimavave a member of the Kiwis train on squad at the end of the year? Was he not one of the 2 extras for the Kiwis for the mid year test?

Seriously, Tuiaki, Moimoi, Tuimavave, Vagana and the rest of the 'can't play here so i'll play there' merchants are starting to give international league a horror name. The constitution needs a very thorough going over.

Coastbloke

Bench
Give me a Kangaroos vs Samoa Mid season Test just for the change if Samoa can field their best team (including Samoan domestic comp players)...

I think they would be a refreshing change. Their jerseys look good and I think that in itself would attract some attention. Sounds crazy, but I think a lot of people are turned off by the same old same old teams....

flamin

Juniors
I'd imagine some of the islands would have facillities to host games against the likes of Aus, NZ and England? That would be brilliant for the game in those countries. Costs would be significant but if this could happen even every few years the long-term reawrds would be great.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I agree, OZ vs NZ year after year can get a bit stale. Especially when we towel them up 58-0 in NZ.

Beating Samoa 58-0 would be a refreshing change. But if the whole notion of half hearted Islanders who don't truly care as much in playing for NZ, then if they play for Samoa they might actually have a dig.

roopy

Referee
Twenty years ago you would see kiwis playing reserve grade in sydney pull on a black jersey and belt the christ out of Australia.
We all saw Jim Beam and Tootheys cup players have a serious dig for Lebanon last week.

I'm expecting all the sides in the WC to surprize the hell out of everyone, especially the Islander teams.

The Clan

Juniors
Just out of interest how strong is the strongest possible Tongan team.

I mean if the Tongan qualified players make the same pact that the Samoan boys obviously have, how good would their line up be?

roopy

Referee
The Clan said:
Just out of interest how strong is the strongest possible Tongan team.

I mean if the Tongan qualified players make the same pact that the Samoan boys obviously have, how good would their line up be?

Fraser Anderson – Cronulla Sharks
Louis Anderson – New Zealand Warriors
Andrew Emelio – Canterbury Bulldogs
Richard Fa’aoso – Parramatta Eels
Israel Folau – Melbourne Storm
Michael Jennings – Penrith Panthers
Antonio Kaufusi – Melbourne Storm
Brent Kite – Manly Sea Eagles
Andrew Lomu – Brisbane Broncos
Epalahame Lauaki – New Zealand Warriors
Manase Manuokafoa – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Willie Mason – Canterbury Bulldogs
Feleti Mateo – Parramatta Eels
Fuifui Moimoi – Parramatta Eels
Lelea Paea – Gold Coast Titans
Lopini Paea – Sydney City Roosters
Mickey Paea – Sydney City Roosters
Jeremy Smith – Melbourne Storm
Fetuli Talanoa – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Charles Tonga – Sydney City Roosters
Willie Tonga – Canterbury Bulldogs
Taniela Tuiaki – Wests Tigers
Anthony Tupou – Sydney City Roosters
Manu Vatuvei – New Zealand Warriors
Cooper Vuna – Newcastle Knights
Vinnie Anderson – Warrington Wolves
Tevita Latu – Wakefield Wildcats
Willie Manu – Hull FC
Tyrone Smith – London Harlequins
Clinton Toopi – Leeds Rhinos
Tame Tupou – Bradford Bulls
Lesley Vainikolo – Bradford Bulls

The Clan

Juniors
Thanks roopi,

Looks like the makings of a strong team, the IRLF should make more of these two nations as I really beleive we could have a credible six teams competing at International level.

I mean, given time, on their day Samoa could turn France, England or NZ over and would be a challenge to Australia.

Australia
England
New Zealand
France
Samoa
Tonga
Fuji
PNG
Ireland
Lebanon

All these teams have well established domestic competitions and can put on a game of good quality at International level.

Add Russia and USA who also have domestic comps and we really are starting to make inroads.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
roughyedspud said:
well they will play again because richard lewis' 10 year play was accepted which means samoa will play in the pacific cup with a chance to play in the 4 nations....

so players from samoa,tonga,fiji now have that carrot & stick to stay with or chose one of the island nations over NZ or AUS

Where did you hear that? If so, great news.

Latest posts