What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ squads for England

Iafeta

Referee
Still surprised that Grant Elliott isn't given consideration for the test team. If he can past the first 4-5 balls and there's no inswinging yorkers in that lot, to me this summer he's proven he's got a good temperament and a much improved technique. Could be useful at batting a couple of sessions in a test.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I replied to a JJ post not long ago in the NRL section saying "bring back Hamish Rutherford"(trolling)

:lol:

NZ will win this series

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, I assume he's hurt - didn't notice his absence at first - certainly he's deservedly our test #6 and Anderson has not done anything to overtake him... stress fracture in his back, out of IPL too

Rutherford is diabolical imo

JJ

Immortal
Also quite like Santner in for Vettori - he looks like someone who could develop into a useful contributor

Timbo

Staff member
As for the opening gig, I feel the only option the Kiwis have other than Rutherford/Latham is to go with either McCullum/Latham or take the gloves of Watling and promote him to open with Latham and bring Ronchi in to keep - but Watling is argubly the form keeper/batsman in test cricket. I'm still not sold on Guptill as a red ball player, especially in England where the ball will be flying around.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
That's why they should have taken Brownlie imo, while he's not ideal in England, he wouldn't do worse than Rutherford - and Brownlie is the man (IMO) to open in Australia...

Guptill will get the gig, nothing surer - if only because Rutherford is awful - Watling is probably the world's best test keeper/bat atm, I wouldn't change that, and McCullum is perfect at 5

African Monkey

First Grade
Still surprised that Grant Elliott isn't given consideration for the test team. If he can past the first 4-5 balls and there's no inswinging yorkers in that lot, to me this summer he's proven he's got a good temperament and a much improved technique. Could be useful at batting a couple of sessions in a test.

Disagree. The guy doesn't even play FC cricket anymore and when he did, he wasn't very good at it. His main strength in OD cricket was ticking the strike over, which isn't a necessity in the longer format.

JJ

Immortal
Oh yeah, was happy that Elliott proved me wrong (temporarily at least) at the WC, but he shouldn't be anywhere near a test squad, that's laughable - Guptill I'm happy to see, but surely his last chance - and again, Rutherford FFS!

vvvrulz

Coach
Rutherford is a bizarre choice, he has proven time and time again he doesn't have the technique to handle the new ball. Brownlie got a century on South Africa soil in whites, that's really something.

Timbo

Staff member
What about Colin Munro? He seems to score runs for fun in the Plunkett Shield.

Iafeta

Referee
Munro should be there or thereabouts. Can certainly hit a long ball.

If it's so easy to bash runs in Auckland, surely someone like Michael Bates is close given his bowling form. He is always quite consistent and I thought he looked good in a couple of ODIs.

African Monkey

First Grade
Munro should be there or thereabouts. Can certainly hit a long ball.

If it's so easy to bash runs in Auckland, surely someone like Michael Bates is close given his bowling form. He is always quite consistent and I thought he looked good in a couple of ODIs.
Good honest left-armer, deserved a bit more of a go in the international game I thought. However, I think he's too slow to be a regular at international level especially as he doesn't do a hell of a lot with the ball.

JJ

Immortal
Munro is a flat-track/ordinary bowler bully - that's all, not international standard, aside from the odd 20:20 imo

Bates too slow, doesn't do much with the ball - plethora of younger quicker bowlers about

undertaker

Coach
Munro is a flat-track/ordinary bowler bully - that's all, not international standard, aside from the odd 20:20 imo

Bates too slow, doesn't do much with the ball - plethora of younger quicker bowlers about

Munro is a joke. I saw him bowl in that test against South Africa.

Latest posts