What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ vs NSW Tour Match

This could fit under domestic or international since it is a tour match, but I am more interested in how NSW performs due to their youth, which has just got younger ...

Josh Hazlewood will this week become the youngest fast bowler ever to play for New South Wales, having been chosen for his first-class debut against the touring New Zealanders. Hazlewood, 17, has been picked for the four-day match that starts in Sydney on Thursday and he is part of one of the most youthful squads New South Wales have ever chosen.
A 200-centimetre right-arm bowler, Hazlewood is so highly rated by New South Wales that he already holds a full contract with the state. However, the Blues had decided against picking him until his year 12 demands were complete and they kept to their policy - just. Soon after finishing his final exam in geography on Friday, Hazlewood was told he would be bowling for his state within a week.
"I was surprised and didn't even know New South Wales were playing New Zealand," Hazlewood told the Daily Telegraph. "I thought they were tied up with the domestic scene. I think it will be a good game to get started in. There won't be as much pressure given it's a tour game."
He has been likened to his childhood hero Glenn McGrath who, like Hazlewood, was raised in rural New South Wales. Hazlewood is from the small town of Bendemeer, a 40-minute drive from Tamworth. His selection gives the Blues a remarkably young line-up for the tour game - Steven Smith and Phillip Hughes are both 19 and another four players are aged 22 or under.
David Gilbert, the chief executive of Cricket New South Wales, said the 12-man squad highlighted the state's promising stocks. "New South Wales has a proud history of producing quality young players," Gilbert said.
"We are delighted that the game against New Zealand offers our youngsters the chance to compete against international opposition. We have been greatly impressed with the development of Josh Hazlewood and it will be exciting to see him make his first-class debut at the Sydney Cricket Ground this week."

New South Wales squad Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Peter Forrest, Steven Smith, Dominic Thornely (capt), Moises Henriques, Daniel Smith (wk), Grant Lambert, Beau Casson, Nathan Hauritz, Burt Cockley, Josh Hazlewood

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/story/377617.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this is a first class game so I think this is the right place for it

I heard about Hazleweood this morning but couldn't find anything on the net

sounds like another Pidge

Bazal

Post Whore
IIRC he looks like a Pidge clone Twizz...very excited to see how he goes over the next season or three.

The Colonel

Immortal
0,,6341320,00.jpg

NSW Blues call up pace tyro Josh Hazlewood

Article from:

November 10, 2008 12:00am

A BUSH teenager dubbed the "new Glenn McGrath" will be unleashed for the Blues for the first time against New Zealand this week.
As NSW get ready for this week's four-day tour game against the Black Caps without lethal quicks Nathan Bracken and Doug Bollinger, little-known Josh Hazlewood will be given the job of embarrassing the tourists at the SCG.
The 17-year-old Hazlewood had just completed his final HSC exam in geography when told he would be lining up against the cross-Tasman rivals.
"I was surprised and didn't even know NSW were playing New Zealand. I thought they were tied up with the domestic scene," said the 200cm-tall quick. "I think it will be a good game to get started in. There won't be as much pressure given it's a tour game."

Hazlewood has featured in several games already for the NSW second XI and representative country outfits.

Like his idol McGrath, Hazlewood has been raised in the bush - he hails from the town of Bendemeer, 40 minutes north-east of Tamworth. He also arrives in town with huge wraps because of his blistering pace and size.

Cricket NSW David Gilbert said with the rookie right-armer's studies now out of the way, it was the perfect opportunity to blood the youngster.

Gilbert said Hazlewood could feature in one of the youngest Blues outfits to set foot on a pitch.

Hazlewood's parents, Trevor and Anne, are expected to make the trek to Sydney to watch their son in action.

New Zealand touch down in Sydney this afternoon before confronting the Blues on Thursday ahead of their two-Test series against Australia later this month.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24626069-5006069,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be happy if he is as accurate as Pidge,

forget the blistering pace, its overrated

Josh is a good kid and has performed well at a pretty high level, not this high, but still. He either gets a heap of wickets or he takes 0-20 off 10 because they either shut up shop or try to take him on and get rolled. He played Australian Under 19s and for Country seniors last season when he had just turned 17 and has been playing local first grade since he was 14. It's still a big step up but I don't think it will worry him too much if he gets 5-30 or 0-100, though I doubt the latter will happen.

IanG

Coach
Also the squad only has 12 players so it must be an actual First Class game as oppose to a 14 a side hit and giggle.

aussies1st

Staff member
Also the squad only has 12 players so it must be an actual First Class game as oppose to a 14 a side hit and giggle.

Will it be 11 on 11? As we will go a batter short unless they don't play Josh.

IanG

Coach
No Josh is playing cuz I just heard in a news bulliten that he's already taken a wicket

Latest posts