What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ want annual series against Kangaroos

flamin

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11635542

The New Zealand Rugby League are hopeful of a regular home-and-away series against the Kangaroos, starting at the end of the 2018 season.

Friday's night 16-0 loss to Australia was the last Anzac test, with the NRL shelving the concept to cut the interruption to club competition.

That leaves questions over what the international schedule will look like, but the NZRL envisage an annual Bledisloe Cup-style series, except in World Cup years, and are confident of getting it across the line.

"We are pushing for a home-and-away series at the end of each year and we are getting pretty close to that," acting NZRL chief executive Alex Hayton said. "Australia are looking at an extended international window after the NRL season and we have received some commitments on that. We will also still play a mid-year test, it just won't be against Australia. It will be with one of the Pacific nations."

It would be a massive boost for the game in this country if the plans come to fruition.

Australia have hosted most transtasman games recently so it would be a fillip for league here to host a game each year. There would be added intrigue with a series rather than a one-off fixture.

It would also bring rare commercial opportunities for the NZRL, who have struggled to generate income.

The Kiwis haven't faced their transtasman rivals in a stand-alone series since the late 1990s, although they have met on multiple occasions within one year under the Tri Nations and Four Nations formats.

But the NZRL's optimism needs to be accompanied with a note of caution, as the NRL have a history of making the right noises and then doing, well, almost nothing.

The 2015 centenary Anzac test was all but confirmed for New Zealand before being yanked away at the last minute with a cursory explanation.

And, during the negotiations of the current broadcasting deal, the NRL "forgot" to include a provision for test matches in New Zealand, claiming their hands were tied because of the commercial arrangements.

But there are signs of hope.

The Australia Rugby League Commission have talked about a greater emphasis on the international game and Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga is a vocal advocate for test football.

The ongoing competitiveness of the Kiwis means additional tests will be money-spinners on both sides of the Tasman.

"It will change from 2018 because we'll have a new broadcast agreement that will change that," ARLC chairman John Grant told the Herald on Sunday earlier this year. "It should be a home-and-away-based series. That's what should happen."

Hayton expects the international calendar will be confirmed in the next six months.

- NZ Herald

RoosTah

Juniors
This is an absolute must in my view.

Although to be honest I'd like it if we could do what they used to do in the Union Tri Nations and make it a 3 test series each-way between the top 3 home and away with the league leader winning the Tri Nations at the end.

Evil Homer

Staff member
"We will also still play a mid-year test, it just won't be against Australia. It will be with one of the Pacific nations."

Great to hear.

Burns

First Grade
Good news as always, just need to see it eventuate. There is also rumblings of England playing NZ during the Pacific Tests after 2018.

More excited about this than the extra Kangaroos games tbh.

Imagine, is shock horror, Australia decided to play one of the Pacific nations?

strong_latte

Juniors
This is an absolute must in my view.

Although to be honest I'd like it if we could do what they used to do in the Union Tri Nations and make it a 3 test series each-way between the top 3 home and away with the league leader winning the Tri Nations at the end.

Would love to see that too, but that'd be a long tournament and have a fair bit of travel if you were to do it home and away. They'd need to cut a solid month off the NRL. Not exactly sure how you'd work out the scheduling too.

RoosTah

Juniors
Would love to see that too, but that'd be a long tournament and have a fair bit of travel if you were to do it home and away. They'd need to cut a solid month off the NRL. Not exactly sure how you'd work out the scheduling too.

You would, but I think it'd be worth it. the big cash cows in terms of ratings are finals and Origin, but tests actually rate bloody well too, so I don't think it would hurt the NRL.

In terms of scheduling, it's not hugely different to what the union comp used to be like given Jo'berg and London are almost in the same time zone. It's just a longer flight to the UK.

With that in mind you could just do it in bunches like they did in the Union:

New Zealand vs England, Auckland
New Zealand vs England, Wellington
Australia vs England, Brisbane
Australia vs New Zealand, Perth
New Zealand vs Australia, Christchurch
England vs New Zealand, Old Trafford
England vs Australia, Wembly
England vs Australia, Etihad
Australia vs New Zealand, Melbourne

flamin

Juniors
Not sure why we'd go back to a comp structure that we abandoned 10 years ago. I prefer to see home and away series in non-World Cup years with the big 3 either playing another big 3 team or doing a tour incorporating 2nd tier nations. Leave the big 3 to come together just for World Cups so that the World Cup really decides who is the best in the world.

Also Roostah your comp is 9 weeks long not including a final.

RoosTah

Juniors
Not sure why we'd go back to a comp structure that we abandoned 10 years ago. I prefer to see home and away series in non-World Cup years with the big 3 either playing another big 3 team or doing a tour incorporating 2nd tier nations. Leave the big 3 to come together just for World Cups so that the World Cup really decides who is the best in the world.

Also Roostah your comp is 9 weeks long not including a final.

I've always thought the idea of having a final in a comp with 3 teams just doesn't make sense TBH... I mean, you wouldn't crown the Origin champs on the basis of game 3 alone, so why do it in a comp where there's only one more team. It should be about most games won period in a format that small.

Also, it's not the format we had before, because we have never had a 3 test series both ways with home and away circulating from year to year; when we did it it tended to be mostly all set in England - even the Aus-NZ games.

By doing it as 2 test series you could have 3 big trophies up for grabs each year and give each market 3 guaranteed big test matches in each country.

To be honest though, I'd be happy enough if they just cycled 3 test series against England and NZ every year too.

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
The New Zealand Rugby League are hopeful of a regular home-and-away series against the Kangaroos,

will never happen.
Aussie are only interested in something which has the odds stacked their way... one offs.

RoosTah

Juniors
will never happen.
Aussie are only interested in something which has the odds stacked their way... one offs.

They actually look like getting it mate - ARLC has twigged that these tests now outrate the Bledisloe by a fair margin.

welshmagpie

Juniors
2018 & 2020 have been set aside as "tour years"

No longer true Simon. The kiwis have decided against touring and will set up 'series' instead as will England. This is due to the fact both NGB's receive less sponsorship for tours and consequently get more for participating in series' or designated tournaments.

Ralph Rimmer recently admitted to a group of community Midlands clubs that 'tours' are no longer discussed and are a figment of the 90's. The 21at century dictates series' and tournaments for money's sake.

Please be careful what you let people know Simon.

Latest posts