What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ womens Rugby league

sup42

Juniors
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am no expert on the Women's game. My limited exposure has been through relatives who played and being a long time follower of the Kiwi ferns. I used to run into the Ferns through work at parties, being a worker in the prisons you work with women colleagues who play rep footy. I can honestly say there are some women I worked with that I would rather get into a yard brawl with them at my back than a lot of men (lots of blokes drop nuts in an all out scrap, women just see a mate throwing and join in without thinking about it).

In an age where the wrestle and the athlete took the big hits and one on one battles of rugby league out of the men's game, the Women's game remained the toughest form of the game up until 2019 (year two of the NRLW).

Sadly the NRLW brought in the wrestling coaches and all the dry balls stuff that ruined this sport from its peak in the 1980's.

It is not all bad news however. Womens Rugby league in New Zealand is experiencing exponential growth, the women are biggest growth sector in an otherwise dying sport here. Mens League shrinks year on year, the women's game has seen thousands of recruits during the dying of the sport. These women will save the game, they will tell their kids, and their nephews and nieces to choose our sport.

Before the NRL disease ruined the women's game:

My sister in law in a Kiwis ferns hall of famer.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
I remember this game well.
Aussie open the scoring, commentators only talk up the Jillaroos, Ref only reffing one team. Kiwi Ferns guts out a lot of back to back try line defence.

Epic effort by us takes the Cup out in a grinding Rubgy league arm wrestle.

sup42

Juniors
Favorite Womens player currently is definitely Mele Hufanga. Ex Union, eligible for New Zealand, Tonga, and Niue.

Mele chose New Zealand. A smart articulate woman, compared by many to Konrad Hurell as a Center, which I find insulting since Mele does not fake injuries to have rests on field like Pie boy.

Mele is defo better than any player the Jillaroos have. The Mal Maninga of womens Rugby league and will be in the hall of legends.

sup42

Juniors
Watching Club games in Auckland it is amazing how the top Womens sides have adapted to the Ruck play, well coached clubs like Papakura, Richmond, Howick and others demonstrate skills in the ground game, you will see at least two women affect the stand up tackle then try to get bodies over the top of the grounded runner.

'This is a long way ahead of where the mens game has come from. You will also see women surrender in the tackle to find their front, allowing them to stand quickly and get a fast play the ball. And you will see try line defence, low scoring arm wrestles, and forty thirty kicks (the womens equivalent of the 40/20.

As an amateur anthropologist it amazes me how rapidly women adapt to coaching vs their male counter parts in this country.

After decades of watching the Warriors struggle to 'get it' in the wrestle and draw and pass, the art of the fast play the ball, one can only come to the conclusion that the reason women adapt faster is that they are better listeners (you cannot convince me they have access to better coaching and millions in support staff and gym equipment).

Perhaps the mens speed, power, and side step in this country has seen them poor students when told to park that stuff and do what the coach wants play by play.

The Moral of the story is the Warriors should have this type of oversight and comparison to how rapidly the Womens game is edging them locally and internationally.

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am no expert on the Women's game. My limited exposure has been through relatives who played and being a long time follower of the Kiwi ferns. I used to run into the Ferns through work at parties, being a worker in the prisons you work with women colleagues who play rep footy. I can honestly say there are some women I worked with that I would rather get into a yard brawl with them at my back than a lot of men (lots of blokes drop nuts in an all out scrap, women just see a mate throwing and join in without thinking about it).

In an age where the wrestle and the athlete took the big hits and one on one battles of rugby league out of the men's game, the Women's game remained the toughest form of the game up until 2019 (year two of the NRLW).

Sadly the NRLW brought in the wrestling coaches and all the dry balls stuff that ruined this sport from its peak in the 1980's.

It is not all bad news however. Womens Rugby league in New Zealand is experiencing exponential growth, the women are biggest growth sector in an otherwise dying sport here. Mens League shrinks year on year, the women's game has seen thousands of recruits during the dying of the sport. These women will save the game, they will tell their kids, and their nephews and nieces to choose our sport.

Before the NRL disease ruined the women's game:

My sister in law in a Kiwis ferns hall of famer. Our first women's captain and world cup winning Ferns coach and NZRL manager.

Bro who is your sister in law?? Luisa??