What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ2 - Which city/cities/region?

NZ2 - Best Location

• Christchurch

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wellington

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Auckland 2

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Christchurch/Wellington split

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • South Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hamilton

• “Pacific” based in Auckland with links to Tonga/Samoa

• Other

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Colk

First Grade
Thanks.

I agree that if they go with Red & black that will alienate most people outside of Canterbury. To be honest even if they do go with a Christchurch base and brand Red & Black would be a mistake IMO, something to set themselves apart from Crusaders would make sense. Something distinct and unique, build their own brand.

First one that came to mind was White/Black/Green, not sure if that clashes with another region.

View attachment 64243

I do like the idea of a Hobart Mariners side though haha

Colk

First Grade
A little bit of a google search I found there is a “South Island Scorpions” rep Rugby League team that plays in black & white. According to Wikipedia anyway. Could use those plus maybe a trim colour.

I like something neutral like that or adding a few of the areas colours together like @Colk suggested.

I like the name South Island Scorpions (from an alliteration point of view). Still like the idea of Keas. Something really unique to NZ and the South Island

jim_57

Staff member
I like the name South Island Scorpions (from an alliteration point of view). Still like the idea of Keas. Something really unique to NZ and the South Island

South Island Keas could definitely work, could make a great brand with that.

ash the bash

Juniors
I think this is a great thread (lets hope it does not get ruined).

NZ is very interesting as there is no particular location that can you can confidentially say "yes thats it". It also presents RL with an enormous opportunity. If for example the AFL had the footprint RL has in NZ they would be milking it for every cent. AFL will probably never have that chance so it shows how much potential growth RL can have. In fact the whole of the south pacific is RL's to grow into, sort the Origin eligibility stuff and watch Fiji, Samoa, Tonga reach their true potential. Something Union in the islands would not be able to match, anyway thats another discussion.

Now in the short run the NRL along with NZRL, ARL, Warriors etc need to sort pathways/juniors. In the long run for a Kiwi team to have a better chance for success will have to include a majority of local juniors. Not all but a majority would have to be, takes away the concern of homesick Aussie's.

Having being fortunate to have spent a wee bit of time in South island (heading back to QT in the NewYear) I can't see any potential for a team at present in Christchurch. Won't have the corporate support either and just because Union seems to be a bit on the nose does not mean they will just take up supporting RL. South island will need more time but that new stadium coming can only be a positive for RL in the long run. Few clients that I know that run pretty significant businesses in South island also share the view. The Crusaders maybe the version of Storm in NZ but they are also struggling for corporate partners etc. These guys are always getting hit up to sponsor/come to events for the Crusaders.

Both the Warriors and NZRL recommend any new team in NZ to be in a different location to the Warriors. I can see the positives of 2 teams in the biggest market. Game every week during the season at the biggest market in country. However it's the set up of Auckland that discourages a second Auckland team. League is strong in the West/South of the city. As poster mentioned earlier north shore is union heartland similar to what the north shore is here in Sydney. So a team in North harbour for me would not work. Having another team at Mt Smart would cannibalise the Warrior's support.

The safest bet at present which may not the popular bet would be Wellington. Yes it may have a smaller city population than Christchurch but this potential team will be getting most of its support initially at least from the Hutt/Porirua etc.. The surrounding area's have a bigger population (Wellington Region 527K) than Christchurch and have lots of Maoris and Polynesian's and good rail links to the cake tin. I think Chalmers in his Orca's bid had plans for a training base to be located in the Hutt.

Anyway an interesting discussion good to get the input from Kiwi's too. :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
North Queensland seem to manage it OK. Aren’t you a big advocate for a Perth based team not being called Perth because it excludes the rest of the state?
theres an identity to being from WA. Do people across the South Island of nz identify themselves in the same way? Not to mention theres 2.2mill in perth and 200k in rest of WA so we’re not exactly reliant on attracting people from everywhere in same way. I would not be suggesting we play games in Albany and Geraldton lol.

Colk

First Grade
I think this is a great thread (lets hope it does not get ruined).

NZ is very interesting as there is no particular location that can you can confidentially say "yes thats it". It also presents RL with an enormous opportunity. If for example the AFL had the footprint RL has in NZ they would be milking it for every cent. AFL will probably never have that chance so it shows how much potential growth RL can have. In fact the whole of the south pacific is RL's to grow into, sort the Origin eligibility stuff and watch Fiji, Samoa, Tonga reach their true potential. Something Union in the islands would not be able to match, anyway thats another discussion.

Now in the short run the NRL along with NZRL, ARL, Warriors etc need to sort pathways/juniors. In the long run for a Kiwi team to have a better chance for success will have to include a majority of local juniors. Not all but a majority would have to be, takes away the concern of homesick Aussie's.

Having being fortunate to have spent a wee bit of time in South island (heading back to QT in the NewYear) I can't see any potential for a team at present in Christchurch. Won't have the corporate support either and just because Union seems to be a bit on the nose does not mean they will just take up supporting RL. South island will need more time but that new stadium coming can only be a positive for RL in the long run. Few clients that I know that run pretty significant businesses in South island also share the view. The Crusaders maybe the version of Storm in NZ but they are also struggling for corporate partners etc. These guys are always getting hit up to sponsor/come to events for the Crusaders.

Both the Warriors and NZRL recommend any new team in NZ to be in a different location to the Warriors. I can see the positives of 2 teams in the biggest market. Game every week during the season at the biggest market in country. However it's the set up of Auckland that discourages a second Auckland team. League is strong in the West/South of the city. As poster mentioned earlier north shore is union heartland similar to what the north shore is here in Sydney. So a team in North harbour for me would not work. Having another team at Mt Smart would cannibalise the Warrior's support.

The safest bet at present which may not the popular bet would be Wellington. Yes it may have a smaller city population than Christchurch but this potential team will be getting most of its support initially at least from the Hutt/Porirua etc.. The surrounding area's have a bigger population (Wellington Region 527K) than Christchurch and have lots of Maoris and Polynesian's and good rail links to the cake tin. I think Chalmers in his Orca's bid had plans for a training base to be located in the Hutt.

Anyway an interesting discussion good to get the input from Kiwi's too. :)

Corporate/financials would seem to be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Corporate/financials would seem to be the biggest hurdle to overcome.
I think there’s a few. Corporates, is there a big enough fanbase in either of the two cities, does Australian tv want another nz club given how poorly warriors rate? There’s plenty of advantages as well but that last one will be the decider given how media still controls nrl decision making.

ash the bash

Juniors
theres an identity to being from WA. Do people across the South Island of nz identify themselves in the same way? Not to mention theres 2.2mill in perth and 200k in rest of WA so we’re not exactly reliant on attracting people from everywhere in same way. I would not be suggesting we play games in Albany and Geraldton lol.

I understand you are keen for a WA team, so am I. However let's keep this thread about NZ. Not discussing whether it should be WA or NZ next just the potentials for a NZ team. Personal opinion I think WA should be the 18th team but can discuss that on another thread.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I understand you are keen for a WA team, so am I. However let's keep this thread about NZ. Not discussing whether it should be WA or NZ next just the potentials for a NZ team. Personal opinion I think WA should be the 18th team but can discuss that on another thread.
Just responding to Jim at the possible difference between a club called wa and one called the south island somethings. Be interested to hear from flippikat if you could creat a sports entity that would attract a fan and corproate base from all across the South Island To help overcome the small city that Christchurch is. Would people in towns and cities across South Island support a predominantly Christchurch club?

Colk

First Grade
Just responding to Jim at the possible difference between a club called wa and one called the south island somethings. Be interested to hear from flippikat if you could creat a sports entity that would attract a fan and corproate base from all across the South Island To help overcome the small city that Christchurch is. Would people in towns and cities across South Island support a predominantly Christchurch club?

If you could then it would work.

ash the bash

Juniors
It's interesting cos one of the true heartlands of RL in NZ besides South Auckland would be the west coast in South island. That won't really have an affect on attendances on games in Christchurch.

Christchurch is a great place but it's not ready for an NRL franchise besides the lack of corporate support and memberships. You would have a hard time attracting talent based in Oz to go live in Christchurch. Which is why NZ needs more time to improve the juniors/pathways programs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's interesting cos one of the true heartlands of RL in NZ besides South Auckland would be the west coast in South island. That won't really have an affect on attendances on games in Christchurch.

Christchurch is a great place but it's not ready for an NRL franchise besides the lack of corporate support and memberships. You would have a hard time attracting talent based in Oz to go live in Christchurch. Which is why NZ needs more time to improve the juniors/pathways programs.
arlc is allegedly going to up the funding to nzrl but I wonder if that will help given it seems a Lot of the nz talent leaves and comes to australia in their teens? I get warriors can only offer so many development places to young kids but it doesn’t seem to be spotting the best ones and then able to keep them in the country.

ash the bash

Juniors
arlc is allegedly going to up the funding to nzrl but I wonder if that will help given it seems a Lot of the nz talent leaves and comes to australia in their teens? I get warriors can only offer so many development places to young kids but it doesn’t seem to be spotting the best ones and then able to keep them in the country.

Thats the crux of the issue, for all the kids that leave to OZ there would be just as many who stay in NZ and play union. Pathways are the key and there are ways for the NRL/NZRL to improve on those without the need of adding an NRL team just yet. An example could be Kiwi team or Warriors in Jersey Flegg/SG ball. Can potentially add further Kiwi teams to those competitions.

This may rub some Kiwi's the wrong way and may not even be possible due to NZRL constitution. I would even argue for the ARLC to have some nominated board members on the NZRL. If they are putting the money in they should get some say on how it is spend.

flippikat

Bench
Thanks.

I agree that if they go with Red & black that will alienate most people outside of Canterbury. To be honest even if they do go with a Christchurch base and brand Red & Black would be a mistake IMO, something to set themselves apart from Crusaders would make sense. Something distinct and unique, build their own brand.

First one that came to mind was White/Black/Green, not sure if that clashes with another region.

View attachment 64243
Thanks for that, and the designs you have there - especially the colour palette - would IMO be fantastic for a "Province neutral" NZ 2 team.

The only province that uses green and black is the lower-tier rugby union team "South Canterbury", which is based in Timaru & surrounding small towns. (Photo of the Green & black striped jerseys of their RU team, and local netball logo) - and that combination appears on Timaru-based teams across other sports in 2nd/3rd tier Provincial competitions too.

There's also Manawatu - the province based around Palmerston North in the North Island - who wear a similar peppermint green with WHITE across rugby union and a lot of other codes.
(Photos of Manawatu Turbos & Cyclones men's & women's RU teams, and Manawatu Jets singlet from out top tier NBL basketball league)

TL: DR version - I think that shade of green & black would be a great brand - however I'd be tempted to make a third colour/trim colour/alternate jersey colour SILVER instead of white- far more options for merchandising, and silver isn't really used in the NRL at the moment.

Attachments

• images (15).jpeg
    images (15).jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 0
  • images (16).jpeg
    images (16).jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • images (17).jpeg
    images (17).jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • images (18).jpeg
    images (18).jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Thanks for that, and the designs you have there - especially the colour palette - would IMO be fantastic for a "Province neutral" NZ 2 team.

The only province that uses green and black is the lower-tier rugby union team "South Canterbury", which is based in Timaru & surrounding small towns. (Photo of the Green & black striped jerseys of their RU team, and local netball logo) - and that combination appears on Timaru-based teams across other sports in 2nd/3rd tier Provincial competitions too.

There's also Manawatu - the province based around Palmerston North in the North Island - who wear a similar peppermint green with WHITE across rugby union and a lot of other codes.
(Photos of Manawatu Turbos & Cyclones men's & women's RU teams, and Manawatu Jets singlet from out top tier NBL basketball league)

TL:DR - I think that shade of green & black would be a great brand - however I'd be tempted to make a third colour/trim colour/alternate jersey colour SILVER instead of white- far more options for merchandising, and silver isn't really used in the NRL at the moment.
I reckon, if going with the south island scorpions route, black, white and yellow, there isn't a team with those colours, and can easily differentiate between Christchurchs red and black, and warriors blue, white, green and red, along with the rest of the competition, im a fan of having a team in yellow, there isn't too many teams that sport it, only parra and bronx but they are generally primarily using the other colors they have in blue or maroon, generally the yellow is often darker or gold, but a bright shade along with black and white would be great, and generally scorpions have yellow or lime representing that mascot

Gobsmacked

Bench

flippikat

Bench
I reckon, if going with the south island scorpions route, black, white and yellow, there isn't a team with those colours, and can easily differentiate between Christchurchs red and black, and warriors blue, white, green and red, along with the rest of the competition, im a fan of having a team in yellow, there isn't too many teams that sport it, only parra and bronx but they are generally primarily using the other colors they have in blue or maroon, generally the yellow is often darker or gold, but a bright shade along with black and white would be great, and generally scorpions have yellow or lime representing that mascot
Not sure about that call, having a Christchurch based team in colours that's more reflective of Wellington (black with some yellow), Taranaki (equally black and yellow), even Hawkes Bay (black and white) may oddly cut across all those potential supporter bases, and seem a bit odd.

Case in point, the Wellington Basketball team (Wellington Saints) wear blue - everything I catch them channel-surfing I do a double-take, initially thinking it's an Auckland team!

I really think a province-neutral look - or at least a MAJOR province-neutral look - is best for a Christchurch-based bid.

Matua

Bench
On two of the positives/negatives:

Stadium: The Christchurch stadium might be years away, it's should have been done years ago. The official date has been pushed back to 2025 but with they way they're squabbling down there it will likely be later. As for the negatives of the Caketin, I actually find it pretty decent - the round shape doesn't really matter as in most areas you're actually pretty close.

Population: Wellington's population seems to be a bit underestimated in this thread. The main region totals up to about 400K and if you add in the Hurricanes boundaries then the population is reaching near 1m. The new team just needs to get that support (so basically look at what the Hurricanes do and do the opposite).

One thing they should do no matter where they are based is get Steve Tew (former NZ rugby CEO) to run it so we can try and avoid the kind of idiocy that goes on with the Warriors.

Latest posts