What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ2 - Which city/cities/region?

NZ2 - Best Location

• Christchurch

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wellington

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Auckland 2

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Christchurch/Wellington split

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • South Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hamilton

• “Pacific” based in Auckland with links to Tonga/Samoa

• Other

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Gobsmacked

Bench
I’m not against a second side at all. I’m actually an advocate of a second side, maybe even a third side down the track. The only other viable option is Perth. I much prefer those options (NZ and Perth) then some of the other options being discussed on here like a fourth SEQ side, Central Coast or PNG.

I just think you have to factor in the Warriors. Also, it’s not only this year, they have missed the finals for how many years? They have been a disappointment for the majority of their existence both on and off the field
They're their own club, with their own problems.
Completely irrelevant.

Colk

First Grade
They're their own club, with their own problems.
Completely irrelevant.

I wouldn’t say completely irrelevant. Any expansion the game makes shouldn’t come at the expense of or weaken another club.

Also, before you expand there, we have to work out what’s wrong with the club so that we avoid it happening again. The worst thing to happen would be having two Kiwi sides at the bottom of the ladder and not rating well

Gobsmacked

Bench
I wouldn’t say completely irrelevant. Any expansion the game makes shouldn’t come at the expense of or weaken another club.

Also, before you expand there, we have to work out what’s wrong with the club so that we avoid it happening again. The worst thing to happen would be having two Kiwi sides at the bottom of the ladder and not rating well
No one's advocating for another team in Auckland.

Colk

First Grade
No one's advocating for another team in Auckland.

I hope not at least for the second side. Christchurch/South Island would be the best bet for a second side. Maybe a second Auckland side encapsulating Waikato/Bay of Plenty be good for the third side in say 10-15 years seeeing that is where the growth in NZ is coming from

MugaB

Coach
I’m not against a second side at all. I’m actually an advocate of a second side, maybe even a third side down the track. The only other viable option is Perth. I much prefer those options (NZ and Perth) then some of the other options being discussed on here like a fourth SEQ side, Central Coast or PNG.

I just think you have to factor in the Warriors. Also, it’s not only this year, they have missed the finals for how many years? They have been a disappointment for the majority of their existence both on and off the field
Not sure where you get the whole viable option idea from, I've told you many times, perths offers nothing regarding local talent, so why are we wanting to expand the league to include them... again im not against expansion into WA, but at this point in time there isn't a "Redcliffe Dolphins" or "Ipswich jets" or "Easts Tigers" knocking on the door set up in Perth or in New Zealand to enter as the 18th team, if you think the NRL are looking to add dots to some invisible map, that also needs them to create a club from scratch and maintain it ala suns/giants of ALF, you're not reading the room, they'll hand out a license to the bears if they said we can play at HBF oval or wherever as long is it ain't in NSW, but they won't create a club, nor hand out a license to a consortium that needs to create a club from scratch then hope it comes good, if it can be competitive and also be run well off field... perth at this time is fairyland dream, and has rich backers who've only ever given lip service, no difference to tony chalmers in nz with the southern orcas, NRL aren't going to perth till they themselves create a club... and then theyll need to test that club against the nrls junior comps before being viable, they are expanding to get more players, not have them ripped out of where they already are

MugaB

Coach
Hahhaha

how long did it take Cronulla to win a comp

and well ignore the allegations they were Over the cap or the drug scandals surrounding the club

nz2 will be a stronger club than Cronulla from day one
Regardless of winning a comp they've always been competitive on field.. they started the same year as Penrith and got wooden spoon that year with Penrith getting 2nd last... cronulla might not have won till 2016, and warriors may never have won a premiership,
But it took Penrith 24 years to make a GF and 25 to win one, and even though we've managed a few since then and are fairly ahead of the pack now, any team who builds their junior base well can make finals and stay competitive for several seasons,... as for the warriors and titans, maybe another decade or two they come good, there's no reason to see them called failures just coz they aren't holding a trophy in the cabinet yet, souths had been a rabble for several decades, but also have the most premierships ever...

Wb1234

Referee
Regardless of winning a comp they've always been competitive on field.. they started the same year as Penrith and got wooden spoon that year with Penrith getting 2nd last... cronulla might not have won till 2016, and warriors may never have won a premiership,
But it took Penrith 24 years to make a GF and 25 to win one, and even though we've managed a few since then and are fairly ahead of the pack now, any team who builds their junior base well can make finals and stay competitive for several seasons,... as for the warriors and titans, maybe another decade or two they come good, there's no reason to see them called failures just coz they aren't holding a trophy in the cabinet yet, souths had been a rabble for several decades, but also have the most premierships ever...
Nah they’ve been broke many times and bailed out by the nswrl or arl

basically a basket case since they were brought in. And in hindsight a mistake

only brought into to weaken the all powerful dragons side of the time

but we’re stuck with them now

MugaB

Coach
Money is the most important thing with a new side.
What money? Seems like anyone who wants a license and isn't PNG has money... fk me from jim jefferies, to saudi princes money means shit, if they aren't bringing in new players...
That and NRL pays for travel and a 30man squad.... whats in it for the NRL?

MugaB

Coach
Nah they’ve been broke many times and bailed out by the nswrl or arl

basically a basket case since they were brought in. And in hindsight a mistake

only brought into to weaken the all powerful dragons side of the time

but we’re stuck with them now
Whatever ...cronulla produces players, 2nd to penrith district in sydney... you lose the player pool if you stuff with it, they have already taken over all of stgeorges junior areas.. dragons are now illawarra heavy in regards to juniors now.. either way it works, and they are now flush with better management, its all cyclical.. souths used to the basketcase, now it wests tigers

Colk

First Grade
What money? Seems like anyone who wants a license and isn't PNG has money... fk me from jim jefferies, to saudi princes money means shit, if they aren't bringing in new players...
That and NRL pays for travel and a 30man squad.... whats in it for the NRL?

Have a look at the table over the last twenty years and you’ll notice that most of the sides, barring Manly and for a few years Cronulla, achieve success because they are financially stable off the field.

For example your club has achieved success not only because you have a large area with juniors but because, more importantly they have the money to do something with that natural advantage. Melbourne and the Roosters are again loaded and thus they have achieved their success by scouting for the best talent around the country (well Melbourne have anyway) Compare that to Newcastle and Gold Coast - big junior nurseries but have struggled to compete financially and thus have struggled.

Perth is the only option barring the Firehawks that would have the money from day dot to compete financially

Gobsmacked

Bench
Not sure where you get the whole viable option idea from, I've told you many times, perths offers nothing regarding local talent, so why are we wanting to expand the league to include them... again im not against expansion into WA, but at this point in time there isn't a "Redcliffe Dolphins" or "Ipswich jets" or "Easts Tigers" knocking on the door set up in Perth or in New Zealand to enter as the 18th team, if you think the NRL are looking to add dots to some invisible map, that also needs them to create a club from scratch and maintain it ala suns/giants of ALF, you're not reading the room, they'll hand out a license to the bears if they said we can play at HBF oval or wherever as long is it ain't in NSW, but they won't create a club, nor hand out a license to a consortium that needs to create a club from scratch then hope it comes good, if it can be competitive and also be run well off field... perth at this time is fairyland dream, and has rich backers who've only ever given lip service, no difference to tony chalmers in nz with the southern orcas, NRL aren't going to perth till they themselves create a club... and then theyll need to test that club against the nrls junior comps before being viable, they are expanding to get more players, not have them ripped out of where they already are
"if you think the NRL are looking to add dots to some invisible map, that also needs them to create a club from scratch and maintain it ala suns/giants of ALF, you're not reading the room"
Comment of the forum goes to 👌

Having a Team in Melbourne compared to Perth in 2 simple metrics. Because neither are Rugby league heartland, supply talent or fans.

Melbourne: 6 million people
Perth: 2 million people

Melbourne: 1 hour flight
Perth: 5 hour flight

It's actually lucky that Perth isn't a RL town because the NRL would feel obliged to service it to a degree.

There's no skin in the game in Perth and we don't need to throw money down the drain for eternity with no upside.
Perth is in the middle of nowhere, has no pull for anything other than the people who live there, means nothing globally and has no marketability outside of Perth.
Every side hosting a Perth side will lose money that week, how often do you meet at expat West Australian?

All it is , is a dot on the map.

Wb1234

Referee
Whatever ...cronulla produces players, 2nd to penrith district in sydney... you lose the player pool if you stuff with it, they have already taken over all of stgeorges junior areas.. dragons are now illawarra heavy in regards to juniors now.. either way it works, and they are now flush with better management, its all cyclical.. souths used to the basketcase, now it wests tigers
I’m not saying kick em out

but if they had never been admitted it would all be dragons juniors

hindsight they should’ve added Illawarra back in 67 instead of Cronulla

Wb1234

Referee
"if you think the NRL are looking to add dots to some invisible map, that also needs them to create a club from scratch and maintain it ala suns/giants of ALF, you're not reading the room"
Comment of the forum goes to 👌

Having a Team in Melbourne compared to Perth in 2 simple metrics. Because neither are Rugby league heartland, supply talent or fans.

Melbourne: 6 million people
Perth: 2 million people

Melbourne: 1 hour flight
Perth: 5 hour flight

It's actually lucky that Perth isn't a RL town because the NRL would feel obliged to service it to a degree.

There's no skin in the game in Perth and we don't need to throw money down the drain for eternity with no upside.
Perth is in the middle of nowhere, has no pull for anything other than the people who live there, means nothing globally and has no marketability outside of Perth.
Every side hosting a Perth side will lose money that week, how often do you meet at expat West Australian?

All it is , is a dot on the map.
I mean he’s not wrong is he

I don’t mind a Perth nrl club but they are not going to change rugby league much

unlike nz2, png or more qld teams

it will be a small nieche and very expensive to maintain

their chance at a team was getting the bears involved and they have fumbled the ball. All the momentum of their bid has gone

Gobsmacked

Bench
I mean he’s not wrong is he

I don’t mind a Perth nrl club but they are not going to change rugby league much

unlike nz2, png or more qld teams

it will be a small nieche and very expensive to maintain

their chance at a team was getting the bears involved and they have fumbled the ball. All the momentum of their bid has gone
Yeah, we'd want a team in every major city if we could but there's at least 2 NZ options I'd rather first.
I'm not sure we want a comp bigger than 18 teams, 20 would be max.
The best hope for Perth is a relocation.
But that's just a dots of the map AFL thing.

It's a funny position to be in really. The AFL made us jealous for years with thier expansion and vision but it's run into a dead end. Nowhere for them to expand and their last expansions costing money and not going to plan.

Now NRL isn't pushing into places but places aee screaming for NRL...
With expansion options seemingly limitless. 😎

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah, we'd want a team in every major city if we could but there's at least 2 NZ options I'd rather first.
I'm not sure we want a comp bigger than 18 teams, 20 would be max.
The best hope for Perth is a relocation.
But that's just a dots of the map AFL thing.

It's a funny position to be in really. The AFL made us jealous for years with thier expansion and vision but it's run into a dead end. Nowhere for them to expand and their last expansions costing money and not going to plan.

Now NRL isn't pushing into places but places aee screaming for NRL...
With expansion options seemingly limitless. 😎
Nrl should look at afl expansion and do the opposite