What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ2 - Which city/cities/region?

NZ2 - Best Location

• Christchurch

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wellington

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Auckland 2

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Christchurch/Wellington split

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • South Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hamilton

• “Pacific” based in Auckland with links to Tonga/Samoa

• Other

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

siv

First Grade
To be fair, removing the team from their home base & playing in exile for 2 years, disconnected from juniors and forced to link-up with a 3rd party to field a reserve team isn't exactly what you want when you're trying to transition from mid-table (at best) to regular contenders.

The pandemic has screwed the club up in so many ways - it'll be easier to get the building bricks in place next year when the whole club is Auckland-based again.
One reason why we could revert to 16 teams

Colk

First Grade
"if you think the NRL are looking to add dots to some invisible map, that also needs them to create a club from scratch and maintain it ala suns/giants of ALF, you're not reading the room"
Comment of the forum goes to 👌

Having a Team in Melbourne compared to Perth in 2 simple metrics. Because neither are Rugby league heartland, supply talent or fans.

Melbourne: 6 million people
Perth: 2 million people

Melbourne: 1 hour flight
Perth: 5 hour flight

It's actually lucky that Perth isn't a RL town because the NRL would feel obliged to service it to a degree.

There's no skin in the game in Perth and we don't need to throw money down the drain for eternity with no upside.
Perth is in the middle of nowhere, has no pull for anything other than the people who live there, means nothing globally and has no marketability outside of Perth.
Every side hosting a Perth side will lose money that week, how often do you meet at expat West Australian?

All it is , is a dot on the map.

Perth is the wealthiest capital city in Australia, so yes it actually would be beneficial. It is also the fastest growing city in Australia. Also the example you use against expanding the competition into AFL territory just happens to the most successful side of the last twenty odd years, so that doesn’t help your argument.

Any side that you put in which is not in a League territory is going to need investment and time (that includes NZ btw) But the competitor you infer has done that and that is why they are winning

Wb1234

Referee
What the fact that they earn way more money than they do is a negative?
They don’t though

the tv deals are fairly comparable and one the nrl has 18 teams league will probably be higher

adding teams like the suns and gws is the opposite of what the nrl should do

Colk

First Grade
They don’t though

the tv deals are fairly comparable and one the nrl has 18 teams league will probably be higher

adding teams like the suns and gws is the opposite of what the nrl should do

I agree that the Suns and GWS were a mistake although adding one Perth side is not comparable (the Swans and Lions which would be the example seem to be doing fine)

Also, there is no way that RL which is played in three states is earning the same revenue as AFL. Their crowd averages are twice ours for example.

We are doing ok but let’s not tell porkies.,

Gobsmacked

Bench
Perth is the wealthiest capital city in Australia, so yes it actually would be beneficial. It is also the fastest growing city in Australia. Also the example you use against expanding the competition into AFL territory just happens to the most successful side of the last twenty odd years, so that doesn’t help your argument.

Any side that you put in which is not in a League territory is going to need investment and time (that includes NZ btw) But the competitor you infer has done that and that is why they are winning
Winning what? More dots?
Perth relies on iron ore, it's a glorified mining town. If the prices of ore begin to dwindle, the money and population will also.
The only benefit for AFL is can say it's a truly national comp, that's it. Bragging rights.
You know what RL has ? A f**king world cup! International exposure!
INTERNATIONAL.
That puts us in a global context.
But yeah GWS 🤣🤣🤣

Colk

First Grade
Winning what? More dots?
Perth relies on iron ore, it's a glorified mining town. If the prices of ore begin to dwindle, the money and population will also.
The only benefit for AFL is can say it's a truly national comp, that's it. Bragging rights.
You know what RL has ? A f**king world cup! International exposure!
INTERNATIONAL.
That puts us in a global context.
But yeah GWS 🤣🤣🤣

True we have an international game but do you listen to RU people who say the same thing.

Their national competition equals a lot more money for them in comparison to us.That is what matters.

Eventually League will figure out that where you put sides is just as important as the number of sides you have. For example you could put a side in CC and argue that it is good for juniors but it has no commercial value at all.

Wb1234

Referee
I agree that the Suns and GWS were a mistake although adding one Perth side is not comparable (the Swans and Lions which would be the example seem to be doing fine)

Also, there is no way that RL which is played in three states is earning the same revenue as AFL. Their crowd averages are twice ours for example.

We are doing ok but let’s not tell porkies.,
I’m talking about tv deals buddy

you can’t tell me expansion is the reason they have big crowds in Melbourne

indeed the suns and gws crowds are terrible

Colk

First Grade
I’m talking about tv deals buddy

you can’t tell me expansion is the reason they have big crowds in Melbourne

indeed the suns and gws crowds are terrible

Their TV deals have been bigger than ours for a long time. Think of it this way if I have a national/international company would I spend my money using a competition that has a national reach or use a completion that has a reach in three states.

Crowds/attendances also play a role in revenue. They don’t just have big crowds in Melbourne. Even the Lions and Swans compete with most League sides. Taking that out of the equation is being selective

Wb1234

Referee
Their TV deals have been bigger than ours for a long time. Think of it this way if I have a national/international company would I spend my money using a competition that has a national reach or use a completion that has a reach in three states.

Crowds/attendances also play a role in revenue. They don’t just have big crowds in Melbourne. Even the Lions and Swans compete with most League sides. Taking that out of the equation is being selective
18 teams vs 16 teams

plus gallop as ceo

Colk

First Grade
18 teams vs 16 teams

plus gallop as ceo

It’s not just that, although Gallop doesn’t help (I would say that other league administrators were just as bad as him though). They have a team in every capital city: that’s where the money is

Perth Red

Post Whore
nrl can’t afford to copy afl model lol. Afl revenue is at level, or pre covid was, where they could afford to be throwing $55mill at expansion clubs and it not be a problem. We don’t have that luxury.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
nrl can’t afford to copy afl model lol. Afl revenue went up by $322mill after they expanded.

But all their expansion hasn’t worked apparently. I think the game is in better shape than it has ever been (or at least for a long time) but let’s not kid ourselves that we have the same revenue as AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australian tv companies won’t want another nz club nobody watches, and we know who makes the decisions at nrlhq.

Latest posts