What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ2 - Which city/cities/region?

NZ2 - Best Location

• Christchurch

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wellington

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Auckland 2

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Christchurch/Wellington split

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • South Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hamilton

• “Pacific” based in Auckland with links to Tonga/Samoa

• Other

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Colk

First Grade
Australian tv companies won’t want another nz club nobody watches, and we know who makes the decisions at nrlhq.

I think they will eventually to be fair. If they go beyond 18 (at least) there will be another kiwi side

Perth Red

Post Whore
But all their expansion hasn’t worked apparently. I think the game is in better shape than it has ever been (or at least for a long time) but let’s not kid ourselves that we have the same revenue as AFL.
That depends on what metrics your using. Does afl achieve greater sponsorships and Australian tv revenue than nrl? Yes to both.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s not just that, although Gallop doesn’t help (I would say that other league administrators were just as bad as him though). They have a team in every capital city: that’s where the money is
90% of media advertising in australia is spent in metro markets. there’s only 5 Ffs, how is nrl not in them All by now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly. Perth has been growing exponentially for how long now? 20-30 years? It is expected to get up to Sydney and Melbourne (currently) in 20-25 years. And we’re not even giving it a crack? Ridiculous
Its grown by over 1 million in the 20 years I’ve been here and is expected to hit 3million in next ten years. Every professional sport in the country has a team here except one. Its long overdue. But yeh let’s keep talking about putting a club in a nz city of 400k with less jnr RL clubs than WA lol.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It’s not just that, although Gallop doesn’t help (I would say that other league administrators were just as bad as him though). They have a team in every capital city: that’s where the money is
Disagree it’s going to change anything for rugby league putting nrl teams in Perth or Adelaide

not when there are better options that will grow the sport

storm haven’t added much to our tv deals and they’ve been around for 25 plus years and very successful

indeed the swans and lions tv ratings are terrible

Colk

First Grade
Disagree it’s going to change anything for rugby league putting nrl teams in Perth or Adelaide

not when there are better options that will grow the sport

storm haven’t added much to our tv deals and they’ve been around for 25 plus years and very successful

indeed the swans and lions tv ratings are terrible

1. What options are there besides NZ 2 (not in Auckland) and Perth and maybe down the track Adelaide that actually ‘grows’ the sport. Every other option you can think is either not financially viable or is cannibalising your market. You can’t grow the sport by putting teams in areas where you already have teams. That makes no sense.

2. That is a pretty ridiculous statement up there with something Pippen or some other person who hasn’t escaped the NSWRL days. Putting in a team representing a market of 5 million people that is well supported (up there with the Broncos) hasn’t increased our TV deals much? Take them out and put in another Sydney team in and see what would happen.

Wb1234

Referee
1. What options are there besides NZ 2 (not in Auckland) and Perth and maybe down the track Adelaide that actually ‘grows’ the sport. Every other option you can think is either not financially viable or is cannibalising your market. You can’t grow the sport by putting teams in areas where you already have teams. That makes no sense.

2. That is a pretty ridiculous statement up there with something Pippen or some other person who hasn’t escaped the NSWRL days. Putting in a team representing a market of 5 million people that is well supported (up there with the Broncos) hasn’t increased our TV deals much? Take them out and put in another Sydney team in and see what would happen.
1. Nz2, south west Brisbane, png, central coast

the first two are well ahead of Perth. I would put png ahead of Perth too

2. nine has no interest in the storm. Foxtel get good ratings regardless.

like afl doesn’t rate in nsw and qld, rl doesn’t rate in Victoria

and like you said Victoria at 5 million is way bigger than the smaller market of wa

mongoose

Coach

and like you said Victoria at 5 million is way bigger than the smaller market of wa
who cares what 9 are interested in, they are losing market share year on year because they are stuck in the past, selling nostalgia to Sydney boomers. Fox will get their 9th game with a Perth team, brand new time slot, brand new market and hopefully tons more subscribers. Nine will continue to fall behind and be a joke.

Colk

First Grade

1. Central Coast??? You may as well as say I’ve lost the argument. How in god’s name is putting a team adjacent to 10 other sides where people in that area already follow and consume in a market that has what 300k ‘growing’ the game? That is epitome of cannabilising your market and no other sport would be dumb enough to do it. PNG is the definition of not financially viable. Poor country with social issues has to ask for a foreign government to fund them entirely. South West Brisbane again is cannabilising your market. It is not an option until the Titans and Dolphins are secure anyway

2. Nine has no interest in the Storm? Do you have an article or any evidence supporting this view. They seem to put them on their Channel quite often for somebody that doesn’t want them.

3. You have to go where the country is growing. The four areas that people are moving to it seems is Sydney including outside areas, SEQ, Perth and Melbourne. Over the last 20 years they are the areas experiencing the most growth.

Wb1234

Referee
1. Central Coast??? You may as well as say I’ve lost the argument. How in god’s name is putting a team adjacent to 10 other sides where people in that area already follow and consume in a market that has what 300k ‘growing’ the game? That is epitome of cannabilising your market and no other sport would be dumb enough to do it. PNG is the definition of not financially viable. Poor country with social issues has to ask for a foreign government to fund them entirely. South West Brisbane again is cannabilising your market. It is not an option until the Titans and Dolphins are secure anyway

2. Nine has no interest in the Storm? Do you have an article or any evidence supporting this view. They seem to put them on their Channel quite often for somebody that doesn’t want them.

3. You have to go where the country is growing. The four areas that people are moving to it seems is Sydney including outside areas, SEQ, Perth and Melbourne. Over the last 20 years they are the areas experiencing the most growth.
Queensland has strong population growth and people love league

Perth will never be anything more than a mid size club with poor local tv ratings. And they will be massively expansive set up

it’s almost a vanity project for the nrl like suns and gws are for afl. The nrl certainly doesn’t need a team in Perth to dominate Over afl

it’s got a different footprint to service than afl does

Colk

First Grade
Queensland has strong population growth and people love league

Perth will never be anything more than a mid size club with poor local tv ratings. And they will be massively expansive set up

it’s almost a vanity project for the nrl like suns and gws are for afl. The nrl certainly doesn’t need a team in Perth to dominate Over afl

it’s got a different footprint to service than afl does

1. You agree with CC and PNG I’m presuming. QLD has strong population growth for sure but competitions shouldn’t just keep adding sides to the same market. Why wouldn’t you want the Titans and Dolphins really strong and similar to the Broncos before going on to add another side in that area. Doing what you’re proposing is ignoring the problems created with the Sydney market.

2. Perth would hardly be a vanity project. Fast growing city tipped to reach 4-5 million. Large ex pat population. Another TV time slot. It is a really obvious market to target.

3. AFL is dominating us so their national expansion has worked. Yes they might have overreached with the Suns and GWS although it is just as likely to work than not. That is because they have the money and patience to follow it through. In any case, the only option we have that would be similar to this would be PNG (not Perth) and it would be likely to be a lot more expensive than the Suns and Giants.

Colk

First Grade
who cares what 9 are interested in, they are losing market share year on year because they are stuck in the past, selling nostalgia to Sydney boomers. Fox will get their 9th game with a Perth team, brand new time slot, brand new market and hopefully tons more subscribers. Nine will continue to fall behind and be a joke.

Exactly. It cracks me up when people mention Nine as having any kind of significance. If anybody is in any doubt about their power, or lack thereof, refer to the Dolphins.

Channel Nine wants another Brisbane side, News Limited gives them the least Brisbane team of all the options and the one that will least impact their Broncos. They also play them to get the Broncos on Pay TV more.

Wb1234

Referee
1. You agree with CC and PNG I’m presuming. QLD has strong population growth for sure but competitions shouldn’t just keep adding sides to the same market. Why wouldn’t you want the Titans and Dolphins really strong and similar to the Broncos before going on to add another side in that area. Doing what you’re proposing is ignoring the problems created with the Sydney market.

2. Perth would hardly be a vanity project. Fast growing city tipped to reach 4-5 million. Large ex pat population. Another TV time slot. It is a really obvious market to target.

3. AFL is dominating us so their national expansion has worked. Yes they might have overreached with the Suns and GWS although it is just as likely to work than not. That is because they have the money and patience to follow it through. In any case, the only option we have that would be similar to this would be PNG (not Perth) and it would be likely to be a lot more expensive than the Suns and Giants.
Afl aren’t dominating us at all

have a look at tv ratings it’s rugby league first and daylight second

if you are judging afl expansion in terms of growing its tv market it’s been a colossal failure

I’m not saying Perth should never get a team

I’m saying we add the valuable / game changing teams first and then later on Perth can come in after those as either team 20 or 21

like I said Perth isn’t important to the nrl dominating afl now or in the future

Colk

First Grade
Afl aren’t dominating us at all

have a look at tv ratings it’s rugby league first and daylight second

if you are judging afl expansion in terms of growing its tv market it’s been a colossal failure

I’m not saying Perth should never get a team

I’m saying we add the valuable / game changing teams first and then later on Perth can come in after those as either team 20 or 21

like I said Perth isn’t important to the nrl dominating afl now or in the future

Have a look at the revenue difference. They have a lot more money to spend. Sure let’s hope they waste it but they are clearly ahead.

Has it? You have to put teams in capital cities in order to get advertising dollars. It’s also where most people live.

Also other than NZ 2 what other valuable or game changing options are there? CC shouldn’t be done (for obvious reasons), PNG is a massive financial risk (you are talking about AFL throwing dollars at the Suns and Giants yet you are proposing PNG?) and another Brisbane side is again cannabilising the market.

Wb1234

Referee
Have a look at the revenue difference. They have a lot more money to spend. Sure let’s hope they waste it but they are clearly ahead.

Has it? You have to put teams in capital cities in order to get advertising dollars. It’s also where most people live.

Also other than NZ 2 what other valuable or game changing options are there? CC shouldn’t be done (for obvious reasons), PNG is a massive financial risk (you are talking about AFL throwing dollars at the Suns and Giants yet you are proposing PNG?) and another Brisbane side is again cannabilising the market.
I listed them

1. nz2 …. It’s a whole other country where afl has zero presence

2. Beisbane 3 … growing population, support origin etc etc

then it’s down to Perth or png

if it’s up to me I go png (joint cairns bid. Yay more qld presence

7 million people

unlimited juniors

then if we want the vanity projects Perth and Adelaide or central coast

No way Perth comes close to nz2 for team 18. Not on any metric

Colk

First Grade
I listed them

1. nz2 …. It’s a whole other country where afl has zero presence

2. Beisbane 3 … growing population, support origin etc etc

then it’s down to Perth or png

if it’s up to me I go png (joint cairns bid. Yay more qld presence

7 million people

unlimited juniors

then if we want the vanity projects Perth and Adelaide or central coast

No way Perth comes close to nz2 for team 18. Not on any metric

I’m not against another Brisbane side per se but how quickly are you putting in them? I wouldn’t want another side there for another decade. Seriously, I’d be worried about taking away supporters from Titans or Dolphins.

PNG is just a non starter. You surely can’t argue on the one hand against AFL wasting money on expansion then propose PNG? You do realise that if the government pull funding from something (remember this week?) NRL are left holding the can on that one and the amount of money they would have to spend to make PNG work would dwarf what AFL have spent. There is no revenue in PNG and I mean no revenue. Nada. Zilch. An area has got to be at least somewhat self-sufficient to work.

Perth and NZ are the only options if we’re being at all serious.

Latest posts