What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZRL draw the line

carlnz

Bench
NZRL have now confirmed they will be left with only three options if the NRL clubs countine to stop Kiwi players from playing for NZ because of "injury".

The three options are:

With Draw from this years Tri Nations,
Take legal action, or
Send a NZ Residents 13 made up of Bartercard Cup Players..

Should be interesting to see what happens

Copa

Bench
Could give some of the clubs what they require to turn the tri-nations into a true shambles..

Really professional stuff by the NZRL once again.

They want clubs that pay hundred of thousands of dollars to these players to take no regard at all for the investment they have made in these players and release them because a few Kiwi's THINK they are fit enough to play.

They then want to pay these Test players very little as they risk their next season and in some cases their careers to play in Test matches.

Look, if they decided to send Batercard Cup players....would the results be any different?

If they withdraw from the Tri Series I'd bring France in and let the NZ side play Russia for the next five years.

screeny

Bench
The NZRL have been backed into a corner and have responded the only way they can. Their players and the Aussie players don't come under the same set of rules, so stuff the tri-nations.

Don't agree with the comment about giving certain NRL clubs what they want: the pressure from the game's bosses on them will be massive if the Kiwi threat looks like becoming a reality coz of a few rebellious clubs.

I'm sure the Kiwi doctors will pass everybody the clubs propose as unfit anyway so the Kiwis will still be left in tatters!

Lets just pretend we live in a world where Tony Puletua wants to put his season on the line and play for the Kiwis for little more then a pat on the back.

Ig Puletua tells penrith "You know what, I see where you are coming from, but I dont care, Im playing for the Kiwis" what would Penrith have done?

They couldnt find him or cut his pay....they wouldnt drop him from games....

They couldnt have done anything.

So taking into account that Puletua needed surgery and Penrith counldnt stand in his way if he decided to play for the Kiwis......you have to come to the conclusion that Puletua agree'd with his club and thats why he didnt take part in the Tri Nations.

As for Australian players....I think you'll find that Australia over the years has had MANY players either asking not to be even considered or pulling out of sides.....more then NZ and GB combined.

We just dont whinge about it. We get on with the job of beating NZ, Gba and anyone else put infront of us.

Sun_Down

Juniors
carlnz said:
NZRL have now confirmed they will be left with only three options if the NRL clubs countine to stop Kiwi players from playing for NZ because of "injury".

The three options are:

With Draw from this years Tri Nations,
Take legal action, or
Send a NZ Residents 13 made up of Bartercard Cup Players..

Should be interesting to see what happens

Did they actually say that? Wonder what the response will be...

carlnz

Bench
yup its splashed over all our papers...NZRL have been talking about it in the board room..finaly NZRL have growen some nuts and will not be pushed around no more..

yankeeboy

Juniors
I feel that it is ultimately the players' decision on whether to play or not. Neither his club nor his country's governing body should influence his decision.

If clubs will not permit Kiwi players to play, but will permit Aussies, THEN there is a problem, which should be taken to court (in NZ, I would suggest).

AuckMel

Bench
I don't think they are serious either and the loss of players will further drive the code backwards in New Zealand.

Who the hell would want to play a game where you run the very real risk of not being able to play for your country?

I guess that's what happens when you sleep with the enemy.

screeny

Bench
I think they're serous - but only upt to a point.

I believe they'll demand that the doctors from the NZRL check them and have the final say. I believe the RLIF/NRL/ARL will agree to this, but I also believe the NZRL, feeling it has won a small victory but not wanting to upset the applecart too much, will abide by any injury assessment the NRL club doctors make.

If Hazard says Utai and SBW need surgery I can't see (a) the two players arguing against medical advice, especially if it could shorten their careers, or (b) the NZRL doctors wanting a bun fight.

If you are a player and a doctor says you need surgery, who are you to argue?

carlnz

Bench
NZRL signed a contract saying they would field their strongest team for the Tri Nations - hence why they can and they will take action..

screeny

Bench
But if Hazard tells a player he needs surgery, if you're that player there's absolutely no way you can argue with him, and if you're a NZRL doctor you risk causing a massive blue if you cross a fellow professional.

No one's suggesting any NRL doctor would break their Hyppocratic oath, but it's easy to say "I suggest resting your injury to avoid any further complications". A doctor who tells a player to ignore taht advice would have to be pretty forthright, not to mention brave, should the player tour and then aggravate that injury.

NZRL fielding their strongest possible side has never been in question. They did last year, too, it was just that so man players weren't available making their strongest possible side in late October 2004 a pale immitation of what it might have been with everyone available.

brendothejet

First Grade
in watching last years tri nations from britain, i read a lot of BS about the situation.

I don't think it is NRL clubs, more so Super League clubs. There are more Kiwis over there, and they are payed alot more than the ones around here. The SL clubs seemed to be taking lessons in not releasing antipodean players from their soccer counterparts.

On the flip side when you've got guys like Benji mArshall and SBW coming through saying "i want to play for new zealand. I want to start something special" you cant help but think it might embarass some of their older counterparts into stepping up and playing.

carlnz

Bench
NZ Coach Brian McCleann as come back from the Bulldogs last week where he spoke to all the Kiwi players their, and they cant wait to be part of the Kiwis...

brendothejet

First Grade
yeah but it is easy for the players to say

"i want to play. i cant wait. bla bla bla"

then the doctors turn around and say, "nup sorry mate. no go."

then the players look like hard done by heros.

screeny

Bench
brendothejet said:
yeah but it is easy for the players to say

"i want to play. i cant wait. bla bla bla"

then the doctors turn around and say, "nup sorry mate. no go."

then the players look like hard done by heros.

Exactly. I'm sure the situation was identical to that last year. But then a player gets advised to have off-season recovery work and in their own mind there's now way they still think themselves fit. Heck, if the doctor says they're unfit then they shouldn't play!

A real test will come if an NRL doc says 'don't play' but the NZ player says he feels alright and the NZRL doc says he can afford not to have surgery as its a minor injury. Then the ball's back in the NZRL's court again: can they remain strong enough to shout down the NRL clubs?