What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Living in Canberra

Utey

Coach
G'day all,

A really good work opportunity has come up which means that I'll have to relocate to Canberra from Sydney for the next 18 months+. I'll be moving at the start of September.

There are two opinions of Canberra, some enjoy it and some hate it. What's the general consensus guys? I love the outdoors and don't go out and get blind drunk every weekend. I'm a single guy in my mid twenties. Thanks in advance.

canberras good.

the air is clean. its not crowded..theres plenty of great nature trails and what not for outdoors. some of that is still effected from the 03 fires but its regenerating. namadgi national park is close plus its 2 hours from the snow, 2 hours from the bay etc.

people bag canberra cos of "theres nothing to do"
thats some bullshit if you ask me.
theres plento of stuff to do. these people are easily bored and IMO stupid.

where abouts are you moving to?

Last edited:

Utey

Coach
Looking at Kingston at this stage mate, appreciate your reply. I love my hunting and fishing so I think once I do a bit more exploration, I'll be able to keep myself occupied!

supera

Juniors
you'll be able to occupy yourself fishing. the variety within a 2 hour drive in any direction is brilliant.

sounds like u like the relaxed life, so Canberra might suit u. if u liked the social/night life u might be a bit disappointed.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Looking at Kingston at this stage mate, appreciate your reply. I love my hunting and fishing so I think once I do a bit more exploration, I'll be able to keep myself occupied!

Your neighbors with the restaurant that makes the best burgers in Canberra, just look for the red trailer next to the lake :D

gypsy

Bench
Canberra:

- Freezing cold, no snow
- Boiling hot, no beach
- Yes, i know, it's 2 hours to snow and beaches, but when you talk up a city by what is near, rather than what is there, you're struggling.
- Full of snobby, spineless government puppets.
- Fake (The people, the manufactured, plastic feel of the place)
- Over priced (see: Rent in Canberra)
- Boring
- Sub standard sporting teams (hoping the Raiders follow the Cannons, Cosmos and Comets out the back-door of the national competition)

Other than that, it's a great place.

Cryptic

Juniors
Canberra:

- Freezing cold, no snow
- Boiling hot, no beach
- Yes, i know, it's 2 hours to snow and beaches, but when you talk up a city by what is near, rather than what is there, you're struggling.
- Boring
- Sub standard sporting teams (hoping the Raiders follow the Cannons, Cosmos and Comets out the back-door of the national competition)

Seams like you came a long way to cry about something which usally is just a redirection of other issues... We get it you don't like it... I don't either hence I live here but each to their own...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Canberra:

- Freezing cold, no snow
- Boiling hot, no beach
- Boring

You wouldn't be a pom by any chance?

Love living in Canberra.

Probably not a great place to visit but a nice place to live.......if that makes sense?

Leethal

Juniors
Canberra:

- Freezing cold, no snow
- Boiling hot, no beach
- Boring

Cliched, pedestrian rubbish. There is plenty to do and see in Canberra. You just need more than three working brain cells to appreciate it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Move down here 7 months ago, cant see myself heading back to sydney anytime soon, absolutely love it down here, there is loads to do around canberra, if you've got the IQ to think past doof doof club

bileduct

Coach
Meh.. I am kinda over Canberra, to be honest.

I've been thinking about moving to Melbourne as I like it down there but it would be a shame living in a city with no rugby league team to support.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Melbourne is great
id move there in an instant if i had the chance, id want to be close enough to the CBD to get out there and enjoy it

and bileduct, as for RL, you may not like it but the best team to watch this year, as has been the case for half a decade is the melbourne storm, who are in a really great stadium now. One of those really great places to watch RL, not a bad seat in the house

bileduct

Coach
Melbourne is great
id move there in an instant if i had the chance, id want to be close enough to the CBD to get out there and enjoy it
The most appealing part about Melbourne to me is the public transport system. So f**kin' easy to get around that place, I don't think I'd really need a car to be honest.

and bileduct, as for RL, you may not like it but the best team to watch this year, as has been the case for half a decade is the melbourne storm, who are in a really great stadium now. One of those really great places to watch RL, not a bad seat in the house
I agree, they've got an awesome stadium, but the problem for me is that they are still the Storm. I'll never get over that, much the same way that NSWRL/ARL die-hards can't stand the "traitor" clubs.

To me, the current incarnation of the team was still assembled and maintained as a result of cheating. They may play the best rugby league but I still don't enjoy watching them, their games or hearing the constant moaning from their fans about how hard they were done by.

greenhat

Juniors
The major thing about where in Canberra to liveis that the suburbs are extremely suburban. They are clean, sprawl forever, have only a giant shopping mall with almist no bars or restaurants or cafes or anything. Oh and giant soulless poker machine temples called clubs.
that's fine if you have a family to come home to, but for a young single guy you will definitely want to be near the city where some stuff actually happens. Kingston's not a bad choice, but its yuppie public servant central. The inner north has better atmosphere.

The other option is queanbeyan, which is a real country town that happens to be closer to the city than a lot of Canberra's own suburbs. If you're the kind of guy who likes to be recognised at his local pub and go to local footy games, queanbeyan is gold.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The most appealing part about Melbourne to me is the public transport system. So f**kin' easy to get around that place, I don't think I'd really need a car to be honest.

Absolutely, if you moved to melbourne, the first thing youd do is sell your car and use the money to deck out your pad with some creature comforts
My and the missus discussed the option of sydney v melbourne if the move to canberra doesnt pan out for her career wise (which is why we moved here)
we both love sydney but are keen to try our hand at melbourne if that bridge comes

I could spend every weekend there exploring the pubs and weird alley way drinking holes and never think ive found them all. Plus the idea of having the ability to duck off to carlton any time i liked, thats a good bonus. The culture is fantastic down there.

Totally understand where your coming from with the storm, i know plenty who hate them and cant enjoy them. I do though, if i ever moved to melbourne, id be a season ticket holder there for sure.

Latest posts