What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

o/t parra pete how your car is in the garage

MrT

Juniors
Raiders boss blasts fans after player's car vandalised

May 4, 2011 - 1:56PM

Raiders boss Don Furner. Photo: Melissa Adams

The car of a high-profile Canberra Raiders player has been vandalised as the NRL club's boss Don Furner says he is embarrassed to be a Canberran following reports of abusive behaviour by fans towards players, families and even the club's ballboys and cheergirls.
Canberra have had a terrible start to the season losing their past seven games - one shy of their record run of losses set in 1985 and 1986- after comfortably beating Cronulla in round one. The Raiders started 2011 as one of the favourites to win the NRL but their season hit a new low on Sunday when they were thrashed by the Wests Tigers 49-12 at Canberra Stadium. It was just the third time in the club's 29-year history that they conceded more than 40 points in a home game.
Furner confirmed to ABC radio in Canberra today that a player's car has been attacked by a person wearing Raiders gear and that police were notfiied.
"I would hope that our fans wouldn't go vandalising somebody's car after a game, I think it's pathetic," said Furner.
"I'm a bit embarrassed to be a Canberran if that's the way our fans are going to react, by vandalising cars. To go and vandalise a car, I think is just gutless.
"Apart from the fact that it's not very brave, it is a crime to go around vandalising things.
"I understand fans' frustration, it is a sport, the players are trying hard, we aren't happy with the results," he said.
Furner said that fans were subjecting the players and others associated to the club to unacceptable abuse.
"But to abuse players before they're running onto the field, to abuse players' wives; even the ballboys on the side of the field and the cheer squad are getting abuse, and I'm thinking, that's just again going far too far," he said.
The Furner family has had an association with the club since its inception in 1982. Don Furner's brother, David, is the current coach and played 200 first grade games for the Raiders between 1992-2000. The pair's father, Don Furner snr, was the club's foundation coach and was at the helm when the Raiders made their first grand final appearance in 1987.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...er-players-car-vandalised-20110504-1e7qs.html

Bigfella

Coach
Pete, the worst part is that Orford will have to take his car out of Canberra to get it fixed.

Apparently even the panel shops in Canberra can't beat anything...

parra pete

Referee
Pete, the worst part is that Orford will have to take his car out of Canberra to get it fixed.

Apparently even the panel shops in Canberra can't beat anything...

The light at the end of the tunnel, apart from Campo's return, is that the Raiders meet the Eels in a couple of weeks...If they lose that, yep, they are in a spot of bother.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Humble has been down in the high country seeking out the cattlemen to treat his calf injury and has become a Raiders supporter and has taken out his frustration.
Just a possibility. I like the post too, Bigfella. Must admit I haven't heard one like that before. Mind if I use it???

Keep those cards and letters rolling in....

Bazal

Post Whore
Must be stoked you jumped ship to that "family club" pete!

Raiders are scum

parra pete

Referee
Must be stoked you jumped ship to that "family club" pete!

Raiders are scum

Yeah I am Baz..thanks for your encouragement. Sport is sport to me.
Scum doesn't come into it. I worry about me...
Bet you're counting down the days till Tommy, Reni and Junior are with the Eels. Do you still catch up with the blokes who gave it to Petero at the Stadium a couple of years ago?