What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T: What Is The Role Of An NRL Head Coach?

Eelementary

Post Whore
All the talk lately about whether Brad Arthur is a good coach, whether he is up to it, etc. has made me wonder - what exactly are an NRL Head Coach's responsibilities?

I would assume that a Head Coach would be responsible for the following:

* creating a list of players that the Head Of Football will target, to try to sign

* setting up attacking, and defensive, patterns, and delegating the training of these plans to his assistants

* setting up junior pathways

Given that a football club usually employs a Head Of Football, and several assistant coaches, I was curious as to what exactly an NRL Head Coach does.

Does anyone have any insight, or any opinions?

T-Boon

Coach
All the talk lately about whether Brad Arthur is a good coach, whether he is up to it, etc. has made me wonder - what exactly are an NRL Head Coach's responsibilities?

* creating a list of players that the Head Of Football will target, to try to sign

* setting up attacking, and defensive, patterns, and delegating the training of these plans to his assistants

Given that a football club usually employs a Head Of Football, and several assistant coaches, I was curious as to what exactly an NRL Head Coach does.

Obviously I do.

I think the first job is to be a salesman for the club. Selling the club to the fan base. Bring in new fans, convert existing fans to fans that attend the ground, and ones that attend occasionally to ones that attend regularly.

They should also be salesman for the game itself.

Currently coaches are basically leaches on the game. The game would survive fine without them (and actually be better) unlike the players and refs who are essential. So in that sense the coaches are taking money out of the pocket of the players.

The NRL players Association together with the NRL should come up with some requirements for the coaches. Some basic entry level things they have to have going for them.

Currently its just drop kick ex players who cant get a proper job.

lingard

Coach
Obviously I do.

I think the first job is to be a salesman for the club. Selling the club to the fan base. Bring in new fans, convert existing fans to fans that attend the ground, and ones that attend occasionally to ones that attend regularly.

They should also be salesman for the game itself.

Currently coaches are basically leaches on the game. The game would survive fine without them (and actually be better) unlike the players and refs who are essential. So in that sense the coaches are taking money out of the pocket of the players.

The NRL players Association together with the NRL should come up with some requirements for the coaches. Some basic entry level things they have to have going for them.

Currently its just drop kick ex players who cant get a proper job.

Wow.

Eelogical

Referee
IMO, a head coach should be the man responsible when it comes to everything that happens regarding the current playing roster as well as future roster development.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Yes

Nope, I think he'd delegate more with respect to defensive patterns. I feel like the assistants would have more autonomy.

Not so much.

Its largely about preparing the team week in week out, managing the various personalities and ensuring that they are ready to play. Any of the things that are peripheral to that would be a secondary responsibility.

emjaycee

Coach
I also think the head coach would spend some time developing a playing style that he wanted and working with the coaching and performance staff on how to get the players in the best physical condition for that style. This would extend to the lower grade coaching staff as well as potentially the junior reps areas. This was something that Big Face was called out for not doing, so obviously someone else thought it was a head coaches role too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd say the head coach's role is different at every club. It would depend on who else is employed by the football department and what their responsibilities are.

I suspect Bellamy and Robinson have the least on their plate. Whatever they do, they would purely focus on that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Coches roles is team dynamics. Getting the right mentality and type of players together that will fit his style and get on as a group.
He must be aware of what decline a player is on and when a younger junior is going to be ready and potential of this kid. And wether to keep a junior or not.

Has to be able to motivate the side and get rid of the type of influences he see as negative.

He has to be someone the players respect and want to play for. Be able to create a happy and positive environment.

He must have a style he wants to play and do his best to fill his 1-17 with guys who match that.

Also must have different game plans and tactics and the ability to pick a weakness in another side and able to exploit it.