What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O.T. Wok quits the ABC ... sad really.

Nealo 12

Bench
The ABC is a disgrace , needs a full restructure.... rid the wasteful spending .Its a cancer to the tax paying public .

I hate all this crap.
Which one of those grandstanding pollies called the ASADA announcement the " blackest day in australian sport". How dare they associate drugs with black people, what are they insinuating? Surely in this crazy world it should have been called the " non whitest" day?

Quigs

Immortal
The ABC is a disgrace , needs a full restructure.... rid the wasteful spending .Its a cancer to the tax paying public .

phf**kkkk off idiot. Yeah, maybe they should put on a few reality TV cooking shows or group of fat fools trying to kick a goal with brain dead bimboes.

You just stick to the commercial stuff and keep voting people off the island.

You'll be alright then.

Surely

Post Whore
Nealo has a point aside from sesame st and other kids shows for beret wearing Ponce's there's nothing worth watching.

webShark

you cant say Darkie? Can you say big Islander?
Big maori, Big coconut? Big Chink? Big Jap. big Viking. Big Pom. Big WASP. etc etc.
IS there an ABC guide for what cant be said.

BisIslanderTip-Reefy ok?

You can say what you like about Pom's but Big coconut is a no go. The very fact the term Pom is acceptable highlights it.

Last edited:
You can't even say I strangled a darkie anymore

How about" Drop a darkie" Is that ok? Very Common not long ago .Ever seen an 8 year old girl in tears when a classmate explained what it meant to her ? Some of youse ijets kill me .Piss moan and and cry about grown men taking the piss over silly speech impediment or the majority race being called poms,and such yet you want to go backl to the days when a little girl could grow up thinking she was inferior simply cause of her skin colour,and some mean little brat thinks its ok and funny to make "darkie jokes " Cause "Warren Ryan does it"! . Not all of them have parents that can wisely tell them "take responsibility for your own actions or whatever the wisdom you are trying to impart here. ..

How hard is it to be a little carefull what you say as a professional Broadcaster? He'd have most likely been stood down from commercial TV too until he apologised.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
what if you are a darky, then there is a darkier one & the whitier darky calls the darkier darky .....darky.
Not allowed?

Vin Fizz

Bench
Got me confused (not hard though) I know that. Im sure ive seen Pulp fiction on TV. Dave Chappelle, every second hip hop artist, M&M. It seems ok for them. BF you have a vere very very good point in my view. And whilst we still have pockets of that kind of behaviour about the place its a quantum shift from when we grew up. Look, if Waz meant it as a racist comment then he can have the balls to stand up and admit it. If not then he can explain what he meant, use it as a forum to reinforce the anti racism message and move on. No one wants to see the 8 year old girl scenario (applies to gays, disabled, Public Servants (ha) females) but we've all made fun of those on this very forum.

Last edited:

Weaponhead

Coach

I concur as well but the point is that Ryan will not concede that the word "darkie" might be offensive to some people. No one is suggesting any intent to offend. All he had to say was that he did not mean offence and then this would be over. He will not do that and hence this drags on. Can I also suggest not making judgements based on one side of the story. All that has been published is from Ryan's perspective.

As Newman has said this type of language is not acceptable to be broadcast due to the offence it causes to some people.

I am no fan of political correctness but the fact is that this type of stuff can't be said on air.

Weaponhead

Coach
isnt the characters name big darky?

The point he was making was about the argument about whose job it was to say quitting time. All he had to say is "its like the scene in Gone With The Wind when one bloke says quitting time and the other bloke says, hey that's my job and then he says quitting time".

The term 'darky' was used in the book and the movie but that is not the point. The point is that the words used by Warren Ryan are offensive to some people. He chose the analogy and he chose the words. All he had to say is I didn't mean any offense, it was an analogy. He won't do that.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Lets change tac & say Ryan a commentaor for a show on warfare. Fought for Australia & was held prisoner by the Japs.
Would it be correct for the ABC to suspend him for calling Japs Tojo?