What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Who Was A Better Obi-Wan?

• Sir Alec Guiness

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Ewan McGregor

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

Timbo

Staff member
I was just wondering who everyone thought made a better Obi-Wan from the Star Wars saga, the young Obi-Wan played by Ewan McGregor, or the original Obi-Wan, played by the late great Sir Alec Guiness.

I thought Guiness was great originally as Obi-Wan, he created the character and started a legend. However in the recent trilogy, McGregor has really made the role his own, and was awesome in doing so.

It's a close call IMO.

Valiant_Raider

Juniors
can't really split em

I voted for McGregor simply beacause he brought a little more to the character in each of the new movies. Esp. Revenge of the Sith

Thats taking nothing away from sir alecs performances they were fantastic, the only downside is that apart from a new hope he is rarely seen in 5 & 6.

and besides ewan would destroy sir alec in a lightsabre battle

j_tig

Juniors
wait one second, going to find a coin...

and the winner is ewan mcgregor. way too close for me to call without the aid of the coin. both brilliant

Timbo

Staff member
I'm agreed with what's been said so far.

I voted for McGregor purely because he got more screentime.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Up until Revenge of the Sith, I'd have said Guinness. McGregor was really powerful in the last (third?) installment.

Timbo

Staff member
I thought Guiness was going to storm home and I'd be in the minority voting for McGregor.

~bedsy~

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
Up until Revenge of the Sith, I'd have said Guinness. McGregor was really powerful in the last (third?) installment.
I agree with that statement.

legend

Coach
McGregor kicked arse in the ROTS and that's what got him across the line. Guinness was excellent as an elder Obi Wan but McGregor rule in ROTS.

Meanie

Juniors
It's hard to say because they both played 2 different Obi Wans, Sir Alec played the older, wiser more knowing one whereas Ewan played the Jedi Kngiht in his prime one. I dunno when I think Obi Wan I think Sir Alec so I'll go with that one.

Amadaca

Juniors
McGregor does have his share of poor dialogue, but you can't fault him for that. I'd go with McGregor. He really came into his own in the third film.

I think McGregor had the harder job, he had to be Obi-Wan as Sir Alec created him, only younger. So in a way he was playing Sir Alec playing Obi-Wan.

JoeD

First Grade
Sun_Down said:
Few? It may not be the Original Trilogy, but there are a lot more than a few.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and trust me there were only a few positives out of the prequels. Virtually all of them came in the second half of the last movie for the first 5/6 of the prequels.

Booyah

Bench
edabomb said:
I agree. McGregor has too many corny one liners!!!

Funny thing about that actually. The only reason why McGuiness doesnt have any/many is because whenever there was a line he didn't want to say he'd make them give it to Yoda!

For the Record, Young Ob-Wan all the way. He's just such an arse kicker.

Booyah

Bench
38.jpg

sith2.jpg