What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Who Was A Better Obi-Wan?

• Sir Alec Guiness

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Ewan McGregor

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

Sun_Down

Juniors
JoeD said:
I'm a huge Star Wars fan and trust me there were only a few positives out of the prequels. Virtually all of them came in the second half of the last movie for the first 5/6 of the prequels.
First off, I grew up on the Original Trilogy, but I believe the prequels did a lot of good things:

Characters

Darth Maul: A character that made Star Wars fans alike angry when he was killed as he was so well taken after that the fans wanted to see more of him. He was probably the most marketable character from the prequels.

Padme: Star Wars fans have very much embraced Natalie Portman as Leia's mother. Although Portman struggled in areas with a rather dull script and character development, I feel a better job may have been immpossible.

Qui-Gon: Again, similar to Maul, many fans took to this character, and were slightly dissapointed that he had no involvement after episode one (Thus ROTS throwing in his name at the end).

Mace Windu: Another face which has been embraced by the Star Wars community, although some originally questioned the importance of his character, those feelings were gone after episodes three and two.

Palpatine: Need I say more? His acting put him in another universe in the prequels.

Others:
Jango Fett-->No problems
Anakin/Vader-->Hayden did well, but was highly criticised, warrented though.
Dooku/Tyranus-->Wll received and well known from LOTR.
Obiwan--> Average, but got alot better in Ep.3

Memorable Elements:
Droid Army
New Starfighters(Naboo) and early XWings and Tie Fighters + Star Destroyers
Maul's double sided lightsabre: Mace's purple
A female Jedi
Yoda fighting other Jedi
Planets: Naboo and Mustafar, Naboo especially.

Memorable Scenes

+Episode One
Podrace
Maul V Quigon
Maul V Quigon and Obiwan

++Episode Two
Yoda V Tyranus
Anakin, Padme and Obiwan in arena
Obiwan V Jengo Fett
Clone Troopers V Seperatist Droid Army
Anakin and Padme romace (I maybe the only one who likes it..oh well)

+++Episode Three
Yoda V Sidious
Mace V Sidious
OBIWAN V VADER
Opening battle above Corrosoucnt
Grievous V Obiwan
When all the Jedi were betrayed by the Clone Troopers
Anakin kills younglings
Whole Mustafar scene (build up, choking Padme etc)
Ending with a new hope...

Things I would rather forget
Jar Jar Binks
CGI overload in various areas (droid factory in particular)
Stupid jokes (Episode One comes to mind-->farting etc)
Some bad lines and bad acting scattered throughout all the films
Anakin in Episode One (may have been better if it was similar to Luke)
Too many new elements, made others less unique
Gungans and the underwater planet and their underwater ride..urgh
Super Battle droids

It is not all crap, I rather enjoyed them all. But it is way harsh to try and compare them to the OT, nothing well ever come close, but these PTs are pretty good, although it had a slow start...

Booyah

Bench
I still reckon the fight scene in Ep 1 with Maul against the two Jedi was the best of all of them, including Anakin and Obi Wan.

Qui Gon was also supposed to have a small role in Ep 2 much the same as Alec Guinness in 5 & 6, as a 'ghost'. Unfortunately he had a motorbike accident and they had to drop it, which was a shame.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I agree on Darth Maul. Such a great character (his look was amazing), and I was really disappointed to see him die in such an anti-climactic way. Keep him and ditch Dooku, if you ask me. :p

Liked Qui-Gon as well. Good character, underused.

JoeD

First Grade
Mate, you've obviously put a lot of thought into it but I still don't agree. Ep1 was a very forgetable film, the negatives far outweighing the positives. The pod race for starters was way way too long. Darth Maul could have been a great character but how much screen time did he get? Way too much of the movie focussed on the trade federation guys who were about as scary as ewoks. It was way too watered down with the droid army being more comical than menacing. Th young Anakin was HOPELESS. The writing was on the wall even before Ep 1 came out. When the originals were rereleased invariably the added bits were lame attempts at humour and brought the films down. I guess even the ewoks were a step towards where the prequels were going.

Anakin and Padme romace (I maybe the only one who likes it..oh well)
Yep, i think you were.

One of my main complaints about the prequels is that there was no real bad guy present throughout the films. Also the storyline is too convoluted.

Sorry, i'll stop my rant now

Sun_Down

Juniors
JoeD said:
Mate, you've obviously put a lot of thought into it but I still don't agree. Ep1 was a very forgetable film, the negatives far outweighing the positives. The pod race for starters was way way too long. Darth Maul could have been a great character but how much screen time did he get? Way too much of the movie focussed on the trade federation guys who were about as scary as ewoks. It was way too watered down with the droid army being more comical than menacing. Th young Anakin was HOPELESS. The writing was on the wall even before Ep 1 came out. When the originals were rereleased invariably the added bits were lame attempts at humour and brought the films down. I guess even the ewoks were a step towards where the prequels were going.

Yep, i think you were.

One of my main complaints about the prequels is that there was no real bad guy present throughout the films. Also the storyline is too convoluted.

Sorry, i'll stop my rant now

Yeah your right on episode 1, thus the small number of my positives. I agree on what you said, it was very stupid that it was more of a Disney movie than a traditional Star Wars. And Yes, I had too dig deep to find all those 'positives', which kind of backs up your statement of the negatives outweighing the positives. With that said, the prequels were a great experience, but Star Wars was THE experience.

I guess I have been lulled into a false sense of illusion by Natalie Portman, as she is my favourite actress, I see past the criticisms of her in the films.

hrundi99

First Grade
The romance was just bad all round. The dialogue was lousy and the CGI with that animal that Anakin rode was just terrible.

I re-watched 1 & 2 recently in preparation for 3, and there is a 80% of a good film in each. The storylines and scenes/environments are strong.

It is the writing, the subsequent woodenness of the characters and the lack of a genuine "cool" element (step right Up Mr Solo), that spoil them.

Ep 3 is redeeming because the dialogue is better and because the human characters are more like real people. I particularly like the warming up of the relationship between Anakin and ObiWan. It was necessary from a plot point of view to emphasise the tragedy of the finale, but I think it was done well.

I thought it was a nice touch that ObiWan admitted to loving Anakin, even though a Jedi is not supposed to do such a thing.

JoeD

First Grade
It is the writing, the subsequent woodenness of the characters and the lack of a genuine "cool" element (step right Up Mr Solo), that spoil them.

True Hrundi, especially the 'cool' comment.

hutch

First Grade
hard to seperate, but i agree with the statement that ewan mcgregor did an awesome job of playing the obi wan created by sir alec.

number8

Juniors
Old Obi wan was just an old smart guy. Mcgregors younger version had the same smarts with youth & Kung Fu on his side!

After number being in the most dreadful movie of all time, number 1 he made a fine recovery but still the original kicked his arse I have to say.

So many things that were horrifically bad I cant even begin to pin point them. I shudder even thinking of that goose of a kid they had as anakin in number 1.

Not to mention zar zar binks(however the f**k you spell it)

Just sh*t sh*t sh*t!!!!

PJ

First Grade
Due to fly to Europe May 31, I know what I'll be downloading for the trip

shiznit

Coach
Yeah I enjoyed them… great to get 2 episodes to start with…

looking on Twitter seeing people not liking Reva…

gotta say I really liked her… she kinda reminds me of Anakin in a lot of ways in that she’s brash and prone to being too emotional… but then because she’s with the dark side she’s allowed to also be ruthless and calculated… which obviously Anakin couldn’t do as a Jedi…

she should make a fun villain in this for as long as she lasts…

You know because of Star Wars Rebels that the Grand Inquisitor won’t die here… so she’s going to be outcast from the inquisitor’s.

I’m thinking because of the back and forth about her being beneath them I’d say she was probably one of the younglings from the opening scene and blames Obi Wan for abandoning them…

but ultimately I think Obi Wan will likely kill her like everyone as she isn’t known to the rest of the Star Wars canon…