What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Brien stops at defensive line

slippery5

Juniors
Obvious why this guy has never played !st grade, ( b4 we signed him) watched him in trials & noticed when he gets the ball along way out from defensive line, instead of him charging into it ala Sammy Burgess, he pulls up when he hits the defensive line. On his 1st touch when he got up a head of steam, it was embarrassing to see him stop again, even though I sung out not to, he obviously didn't hear me !!! watched it in slow mo to show to my daughter & even she was laughing. Result : Got belted lost the ball & psyched up the Tigers forwards, as they could see he was scared !!!!! Wished I could have been more positive on my !st post. SORRY

love my saints

Juniors
He wasnt the only forward guilty of that. JDB and Cooper i noticed do it all the time too. AhMau, as much as people bag him, hits the line hard and keeps pushing forward, Rose hits it hard too, as does Benny Creagh.

watatank

Coach
I don't think it has anything to do with fear, it's just when O'Brien changes direction or uses any kind of footwork he slows down, he just doesn't have that mobility. Sam Burgess and now George are so dangerous because not only they are big, fast, etc but they don't lose anything when they change direction. O'Brien is just big.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Take your point, but not the reason why we lost tonight. My goodness that was a poor effort, reminds me very much of prices last game against the eels last year.

gitano

Juniors
No 'stopping at the line' thread will be complete without Merrin's name being mentioned

slippery5

Juniors
I don't think it has anything to do with fear, it's just when O'Brien changes direction or uses any kind of footwork he slows down, he just doesn't have that mobility. Sam Burgess and now George are so dangerous because not only they are big, fast, etc but they don't lose anything when they change direction. O'Brien is just big.

I don't think he (& others ) are trying to change direction, instead players get into habits of launching into the defence from there last step as they hit the line rather then having fast feet like Frizell & much as I hate to say it Ah Mau, maybe I was a bit tough on him being scared, but it takes a lot more guts to hit the line & maintain fast feet, which drives the defence backwards. Thumbs up to Nabuli who in one touch showed them how to do it.

Twenty10

Juniors
Our forwards just dont run hard enough. They don't threaten enough. They don't intimidate enough. Been a problem for a long time I know. But until they'll recruit more and cut players it's hard to seexany improvement. Our centres are so bad.

Aitken and Peter M should be the centres.

ellskimore

Juniors
I don't think he (& others ) are trying to change direction, instead players get into habits of launching into the defence from there last step as they hit the line rather then having fast feet like Frizell & much as I hate to say it Ah Mau, maybe I was a bit tough on him being scared, but it takes a lot more guts to hit the line & maintain fast feet, which drives the defence backwards. Thumbs up to Nabuli who in one touch showed them how to do it.

Why do you hate to say it? That is a death riding attitude if I've ever seen one.

Mr Red

First Grade
+1
need big + agile + good player + intensity + aggression... we just got big

BrissyRedV

Bench
Well, we were all hoping one of our bargain bin buys would come good. Hasn't happened it seems. Doesn't help with a bargain bin coach either.

bottle

Coach
Because that's the only thing he does well, he can't off load & his defence is absent.

Leeson got an off load away last night.
I nearly fell off my chair. I had to look twice to make sure it was him.
I bet jenninga was impressed.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
O'Brien is contender for worst forward in the history of the Dragons. Take him out of his misery now and play him in the Cutters and we might forget he played NRL in a months time.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Well JWH has just re-signed with the Roosters. Off contract props for next year:
- Darcy Lussick, 25
- Sam Tagatese, 28
- Tom Burgess, 22
- Ben Murdoch-Masila, 24
- Dylan Napa, 22
- Eddy Pettybourne, 27
- Sam Rapira, 27
- Kade Snowden, 28
- David Tyrell, 26

I would target Lusick and Tyrell, both Eels and South's will be struggling to fit these guys under the cap.