What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oceania Cup 2021...

Coastbloke

Bench
Getting a little frustrated at the lack of information on any form of a Oceania Cup or even mid season Tests..

Has anyone heard anything? Anything? I'm religiously checking the NRL site every Arvo. Checking Sunday papers. Typing in Oceania Cup into Google and using the News tab. Nothing.

Apparently we know when Origin is being played in 2023 but we don't know if there are Tests on Rep weekend in July?

Please don't give me Pandemic dribble because both Cricket and Netball played internationals in NZ just a week ago...

jim_57

Staff member
No reason they can't do they mid-year internationals this year with just Australian based players. Warriors, Hunters & Silktails will all be based in Australia so those players will all be accessible.

I'm sure there'll be an announcement, a month or two before most likely :rolleyes:

Burns

First Grade
The NZ Herald had an article a few weeks ago on NZ plans to play a few Tests this year before the World Cup - wasn’t able to read content however.

Also, I didn’t think there would be an Oceanic Cup in 2021 anyway due to the World Cup. At best we’ll have the Mid Year Tests and (maybe) one week’s worth before teams fly off.

Would imagine any Mid Year Test would be a Triple Header played at Campbelltown.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hopefully
NZ v Tonga on the Friday night at Bankwest
and Samoa v Cook Islands, PNG v Fiji double header on the Saturday Arvo at Penrith
Origin 2 is on the Sunday.

Hopefully all nations have a pre-Cup test on the weekends of October 9 or 16, perhaps sans-Grand Final players.
Australia v New Zealand
Tonga v Samoa
Fiji v Lebanon
PNG v Italy
Greece v Cook Islands
^ primarily-NRL based nations with no pool rematches

Related - previously i've been in favour of standalone Origin rep weeks with NZ playing Tonga at the same time, etc.

But i've kind of drifted away from that idea. (credit to @paulmac_78 on twitter i think for swaying me on it)
I now think it would be better to go back to all mid-week Origins with NRL split rounds. It effects 3 club rounds, so be it. The alternative would be to remove those rounds altogether and go down to 22. It's not a perfect home and away season anyway so its not like some purity of the draw is being breached.

BUT the important thing is, we could have a proper standalone international week after Origin, bringing back the mid-season Australia v New Zealand test, and giving Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, and co a clear slot. The Australia v NZ test would be the first of 3 annually, with the second to stay as the first test in October, and the 3rd to overlap as a tournament game.
Origin could run May to mid June, with the test weekend in July.

Unfortunately with Origin already locked in this year that can't happen, but in future I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited: