What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract 2020

Zoidberg

First Grade
-Watson and Guerra I’d like to keep but only only a lesser value then what they are currently on and only max 2 years.
-Jones and Randall I would keep as bench players/backup for injury
-King only on min wage
-Lino and Moga can go

I'd keep just Jones and Randall. Guerra maybe on a cheap deal. The rest can go. Watson's best attribute will be weakened due to this injury and he's never on the field anyway. I wouldn't even keep him on a minimum deal if I'm honest.

Me-

Guerra: up to him. I'm ok if he wants another year. He adds his experience and brings on the younger guys. I'd phase him out with less games. It we needed the cap space I reckon he'd stand down.

Jones: sign him again

King: has to prove himself. If he does keep him. I know he hasn't performed in the past and I've been critical of him but I'm prepared to give him a chance. It's up to him to prove he has got it together. He could be a good backup.

Lino: let him go. Someone will pick him up.

Moga: let him go.

Randall: depends. Other clubs might look at him. I'd say he'll be gone.

Watson: another year partly as a duty of care. See him back into the game. 1 year contract and give him notice that we won't continue to support him it he happens to get big injuries again. He can focus on training for what he might do after footy as part of rehab.

Green: see how he goes. I'm open for him to get another year if he fits in and performs.

mozza91

Coach
Definitely give Guerra another year if he’s keen. He’s been great this season, abit of an unsung hero considering he looked like he was done late last year.

Keep Randall and Watson if he’s willing to take a pay cut (his injury might work out well for us in that regard).

King looked strong in his limited time against Melbourne, hoping Obi gives him more minutes over the next few weeks. If he does well give him a contract. We’re losing Ese and Glasby so we’re a bit short on middle forwards.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
I always thought of Green as an older slower version of Pearce.

good luck with him

hope the honeymoon lasts

Knight Vision

First Grade
Isnt Roberts- Davis also off contract? If so he's gonski

Guerra, = 1 year deal on a reduced salary

Jones, = 1 year extension covid related extension - show us what ya got.

King, = Gone, will be 26 and still cant crack first grade on the regular- gonski , replace him with a young up and comer that could be a superstar.

Lino, = Gone

Moga, = Gone

Randall, = Gone, 24 yrs old and still not good enough to fill our current void ? he's gonski. replace him with a young up and comer that could be a superstar

Watson"= 1 year minimum wage with incentives for how many games he plays. If not - Thanks for the memories Conner and good luck

Green = 1 year contract on just above average coin

Yosh

Coach
If we let everyone go, how do we replace them? Seems like we are upper short on middle forwards.

Anyone on the market?

Also, just to be safe, don't we need 8 slots of the 30 man roster to be hooker?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If we let everyone go, how do we replace them? Seems like we are upper short on middle forwards.

Anyone on the market?

Also, just to be safe, don't we need 8 slots of the 30 man roster to be hooker?

Better make it 10/30 just to be sure.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Randall, = Gone, 24 yrs old and still not good enough to fill our current void ? he's gonski. replace him with a young up and comer that could be a superstar

Bit harsh considering he's playing in one of the most physically demanding positions on a football field. I like what I've seen from Chris so far and I think he's definitely worth hanging onto.

In saying that though I expect a club like the Titans or Bulldogs to snap him up. He'll leave us for an opportunity because he's not going to get it here if Brailey stays fit. I'd sooner offload Connor Watson than Chris.

For me it would be:

Aidan Guerra - 1 year on reduced salary
Brodie Jones - 2 years standard NRL footballer salary (i..e not minimum wage, but not marquee either. Thinking 300k would be about right).
Josh King - Newcastle comp
Mason Lino - we're not using him so no point keeping him.
Tautau Moga - thanks for the memories, bye.
Chris Randall - see my comments above
Connor Watson - love him to death but he's never on the field. Sorry mate, but goodbye.
Blake Green - I'll be watching his performances closely each week for the remainder of 2020. If he gets us into the finals and finally alleviates us of the burden that is Mitchell Pearce's mental state, 1 to possibly 2 year contract extension.

aqua_duck

Coach
If there's one player in our squad who I think the new rules hurt more than anyone it's King. Big, athletic forwards with leg speed like the Saifiti boys are thriving, King is the complete opposite type of player.
Of the off contract players I'd keep Jones (turn him into a lock), Randall at minimum wage, Guerra at half the salary he was previously on and Watson also half the salary (since he only plays about half the games).
In terms of recruitment we clearly need a few middles so I'd go after Sam Mcintye from the tigers who's an ex junior so might get a hometown discount, Jacob Host from the dragons who was a highly rated junior and might benefit from not being coached by Paul McGregor.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Bit harsh considering he's playing in one of the most physically demanding positions on a football field. I like what I've seen from Chris so far and I think he's definitely worth hanging onto.

In saying that though I expect a club like the Titans or Bulldogs to snap him up. He'll leave us for an opportunity because he's not going to get it here if Brailey stays fit. I'd sooner offload Connor Watson than Chris.

For me it would be:

Aidan Guerra - 1 year on reduced salary
Brodie Jones - 2 years standard NRL footballer salary (i..e not minimum wage, but not marquee either. Thinking 300k would be about right).
Josh King - Newcastle comp
Mason Lino - we're not using him so no point keeping him.
Tautau Moga - thanks for the memories, bye.
Chris Randall - see my comments above
Connor Watson - love him to death but he's never on the field. Sorry mate, but goodbye.
Blake Green - I'll be watching his performances closely each week for the remainder of 2020. If he gets us into the finals and finally alleviates us of the burden that is Mitchell Pearce's mental state, 1 to possibly 2 year contract extension.
Yeh I could go with that.

I'd much rather have young players with great potential ( like Hoy etc ) and former champions ( like Guerra ) fill out the squad than older guys who have never amounted to much like Lino, King, etc.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Yeh I could go with that.

I'd much rather have young players with great potential ( like Hoy etc ) and former champions ( like Guerra ) fill out the squad than older guys who have never amounted to much like Lino, King, etc.

I’m not saying your opinion is wrong. I just sometimes find there are players that don’t look like much to begin with who become far more complete footballers over time (like Cooper Cronk who started his career as a basic utility) and on the other side of the coin there are players who impress immediately but don’t necessarily go the distance (like Milton Thaiday for example).

I could be wrong but I think Chris Randall could be in the former category. I think he is a slow burn case. I don’t mean to say he will be Cooper Cronk.

Old dog

Juniors
Let’s see how he goes this year, check out our situation, Brailey, Watson, Randall, Mann etc as well as looking at others. Think Crossland is a prospect but everything might change for 2021; COVID-19 included.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I’m not saying your opinion is wrong. I just sometimes find there are players that don’t look like much to begin with who become far more complete footballers over time (like Cooper Cronk who started his career as a basic utility) and on the other side of the coin there are players who impress immediately but don’t necessarily go the distance (like Milton Thaiday for example).

I could be wrong but I think Chris Randall could be in the former category. I think he is a slow burn case. I don’t mean to say he will be Cooper Cronk.
I agree, then there is also the blend of different characters and personalities within the group which should not be discounted at all. Getting this right within the squad is also important

And the right mix of old hands ....almost all our young forward praise the likes Guerra and Glasby. I'd keep Guerra for this reason alone, and he still has something to offer us.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach

Not sure that I agree that Cronk didn't look like much to begin with, he was a good utility and had been a schoolboy union star, he also debuted at 20 not 24. I think Randall might end up perhaps a Kerrod Holland type, someone who battled around in park footy before getting a crack in their mid 20s and earned a handy living.

I'm for signing Watson again since I don't think we'd be the club we are if we didn't look after him and ensure he has direction somewhere.
There has to be a point, however, if he keeps getting injured. He does have a lot to offer. If only he can stay mostly injury free.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm for signing Watson again since I don't think we'd be the club we are if we didn't look after him and ensure he has direction somewhere.
There has to be a point, however, if he keeps getting injured. He does have a lot to offer. If only he can stay mostly injury free.
There is part of me agrees with the nice sentiment and yes it's easy to love a club that stands by some values, but that part of me screams minimum salary, with some sort of handsome incentive for staying on the park

His current contract of 600K per year contract ( by reports ) is around 25,000 per game of footy.

Given his injuries he's missed 50% of those games meaning the Knights forked out around 50,000 per game for Watson.......that's Daly Cherry Evans coin.....and if those injuries continue minimum wage jumps to a damaging wingers salary or a good bench prop......

I'm almost tempted to say goodbye to Watson , he just does not make cap sense.

aqua_duck

Coach
There is part of me agrees with the nice sentiment and yes it's easy to love a club that stands by some values, but that part of me screams minimum salary, with some sort of handsome incentive for staying on the park

His current contract of 600K per year contract ( by reports ) is around 25,000 per game of footy.

Given his injuries he's missed 50% of those games meaning the Knights forked out around 50,000 per game for Watson.......that's Daly Cherry Evans coin.....and if those injuries continue minimum wage jumps to a damaging wingers salary or a good bench prop......

I'm almost tempted to say goodbye to Watson , he just does not make cap sense.
Hence why I'd only offer him half what he was on before especially coming off an Achilles tear the ball is definitely in our court as not many clubs would be lining up to offer him anymore than the $300k mark