What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract 2021

PhilGould

Bench
Phoenix Crossland - only as a cheap depth player until proven otherwise

Lachlan Fitzgibbon - needs a big year, well behind Friz/Barnett at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Dragons offered him a starting spot or he heads off to England

Blake Green - will retire and take up a coaching role I assume

Tex Hoy - see Phoenix Crossland

Hymel Hunt - must re-sign IMO. Has been close to our most consistent ever since he signed and has barely missed a game.

Brodie Jones - see Phoenix Crossland and Tex Hoy

Josh King - will probably re-sign for close to the minimum again, fine for depth

Edrick Lee - gone

Kurt Mann - signed for $300k-ish, would give him another couple of years at that rate otherwise let go

Enari Tuala - I'd lean towards re-signing him assuming he'd still be pretty cheap. Consistently solid and can slot in anywhere in the outside backs without any fuss, like Hymel.

Connor Watson - a genuine x-factor in the team when he's healthy. If he finally has some luck on the injury front IMO he's a no brainer keeper, but I wouldn't be rushing into signing anything

Last edited:

Tony Morris

Juniors
Only my opinion obviously.

Crossland will go or stay and play lower league long term

Green, agree. One more year and then he'll move into a Backs Coach. Think Pearce could remain as more of a mentor/coach too come 2022 whilst bringing through the next generation in the halves.

Tex, I think his days were number once we brought in Hodgson. KP will move to the halves in a season or 2, then how many more halves do we need? Just can't see him been here next season.

Hymel Hunt/Watson, no question. Get them signed !!

Others apart from Lee, I recon will stay on a pay cut, be ESL bound or move on end of 2021.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't see Mann and Watson in the best 17 of a top 4 side. If Mann wants to hang around as depth though that's fine.

Old dog

Juniors
Problem with keeping fringe players means no room for better players to be signed. If everyone is fit and well then keep those in top 17 unless getting to veteran stage anyone not in top 17 and contract expiring are in danger of being let go.
Keep .... Hunt, been v/good, Crossland young with potential
Maybe.... Watson if injury free, Tuala, Mann, Locals King, Jones, Hoy need to improve but are good cheap backups
Go... Green, Lee and Fitz toss up between maybe and go

Burwood

Bench
Desperately need quality backrowers- Fitz’s injury and AOB leaving Jones on the bench for a whole game shows how low on depth we are. Plus if Barnett or Frizell go down that’s an 80min player that needs replacing.

If Jones is kept, it needs to be on minimum contract. I get the feeling his ceiling is being the guy that comes onto the bench when one or two of the top 17 is injured.

Fitz can be kept as a bench backrower, but when his contract was extended at the end of 2018 he was being touted by the club as a future state of origin player. That obviously hasn’t happened, so any new contract needs to reflect that.

I think I’d rather roll the dice and try and pick up another player with the same contract value as Fitz, but stuck behind players and not getting as much game time as they could/should. A change of scenery would also do Fitz quite good you’d have to think.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If I were AOB I’d be waiting until later in the season before chatting with Fitz, Watson and Mann. Fitz was poor last year and needs a run of good games to get another deal imo. If Watson can play 20+ games this season I’d be keeping him and if that’s the case I’d probably be letting Mann go, but if Watson can’t stay then I’d keep Mann.

Of the others I’d be keeping Hunt for sure, he’s been our most consistent performer over the last few years and I think Tuala should be kept on as well given he was pretty good last year.

King has shown huge improvement and I assume he won’t be getting big money elsewhere so would be happy to keep him for cheap given he’s shown he can be a useful player.

The rest I’m not sure about, we haven’t got a big enough sample size for Tex, Phoenix and Jones yet so will wait and see.

Joel-22

Juniors
Phoenix Crossland - yes (depth)
Lachlan Fitzgibbon - no
Blake Green - no
Tex Hoy - no
Hymel Hunt - yes
Brodie Jones - yes (depth)
Josh King - yes (depth)
Edrick Lee - no
Kurt Mann - no
Enari Tuala - no
Connor Watson - yes

Toohey has even said recently that he can't see us keeping both Mann and Watson.
I'd agree and have for a while but maybe with Watson filling lock we don't have two utilities.
I'd still rather see Watson off the bench so Mann to go.
I can't see a future for either Hoy and Crossland so let them go.
Fitz I'm not sure about.
King keep on low coin.
Hunt is a must to retain.
Tuala no.
Jones has to show me something.
King has upped it to the extent that other clubs might be looking at him. I like his attitude. If he keeps his form up keep him.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Phoenix Crossland - yes (depth)
Lachlan Fitzgibbon - no - think for the money he's asking for you get the scouts to find the best young backrower and lure them here.
Blake Green - he'll retire
Tex Hoy - no need
Hymel Hunt - yes
Brodie Jones - no - any young backrower coming through the ranks can do the same job
Josh King - yes - turning into a big fan, he's on peanuts and a valuable forward depth player and still potential for a little more.
Edrick Lee - not for the dollars he'll probably command otherwise i like him
Enari Tuala - still think he's ok if cheap, good depth

Kurt Mann & Connor Watson - this is the tough one. Moving forward I think you need to ask who of these two will;
- make a better 13
- make a better utility to cover positions
- who will be asking for less dollars

I really like Watson but I think if I answer the above it's Kurt Mann for mine. But I won't begrudge the Knights whichever direction they go with them two.

I think everyone has answered above regarding most players

Regarding Mann and Watson ill say this, I if had to choose who was the better player and who is a more important factor to the team id say Watson providing it was on medium wages and his injury toll this year is minimum. He is more talented and at least appears to be closer nit with our bigger name players (KP especially)

Yosh

Coach
If the two UK lads develop and become first grade regulars, maybe there is only one spot left for both Hunt and Tuala. Based on their records here, I think Hunt will get the nod?

If it was Shibasaki's contract ending, I would assume we would let him go and keep both Hunt and Tuala. I don't think we need all three of them and I would personally cut Shibasaki first but his contract ain't up...

Old dog

Juniors
Obviously someone sees the potential in Shibs to offer the deal he got so think Tuala is the one in danger of going.
Of course it’s a big hope that two young Poms arrive and become regular 1st graders, will be over the moon if one makes it.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m surprised that everyone is off Tuala at this stage. From memory most of us were singing his praises for most of last year until probably the last 3-4 rounds where he went off the boil. He hasn’t done much wrong in the opening 2 rounds in 2021 so I’m surprised that so many people think he will be on the outer.

From what I’ve heard about Dom Young he probably has a higher ceiling than Tuala but if Tuala is getting the job done why not keep him for another couple of years until Young is ready for proper week in/week out first grade?

Jono078

Referee
I’m surprised that everyone is off Tuala at this stage. From memory most of us were singing his praises for most of last year until probably the last 3-4 rounds where he went off the boil. He hasn’t done much wrong in the opening 2 rounds in 2021 so I’m surprised that so many people think he will be on the outer.

From what I’ve heard about Dom Young he probably has a higher ceiling than Tuala but if Tuala is getting the job done why not keep him for another couple of years until Young is ready for proper week in/week out first grade?
I'm certainly not off Tuala, but I think he has been shaky to start this season, especially against the Dogs.

In attack he hasn't offered anything yet other than tough yards out of our end - this isn't totally his fault though.

I would have Tuala over Shibasaki. Shib was really bad in some games last year on effort, and that's not something I'd question of Tuala.

Yosh

Coach

I'm a big Tuala fan... It's just we can't afford to keep players around because we like them anymore. Cold hard business decision that'll come down to Hunt vs. Tuala and the majority here just rate Hunt the better business decision.

Tuala has been serviceable so far with the odd stand out game, but that's about it. His defence for the last 5-6 rounds last year was really concerning and had me questioning his suitability to 1st grade

He's 22yo so maybe he needs time, idk

Silent Knight

First Grade

I'm not off Tuala, I still think of him as a good prospect, despite what the mongoloids on the Knights Facebook page think.

It's just unfortunate that our playmakers always tend to go left in attack, when outside of this week Tuala has been on the right. You could say the same thing for Tyson Frizell, how often did we isolate Brooks in the red zone by directing Tyson at him? Jesse Ramien left us because he was constantly frustrated by never seeing the ball. This is a reoccurring problem.

The problem is our attacking structure is too clunky and predictable. Brailey, Best and Watson are the only points of difference in what is still a very pedestrian attacking structure. My hopes are lifted when any of those 3 players get the ball in the red zone, because I feel like something will happen,

Pearce has his limitations that we're all aware of. Kurt Mann is offering very little in the red zone, it's always go himself and die with the ball or throw a nothing pass. There's no sense of us building pressure or having our systems in place. It's just one out passing and hope for a flash of individual brilliance.

I'm sorry but that's primarily on the attacking coach (and to a certain extent our halves). What has he got us doing out there?

Yosh

Coach
The problem with our attack seems to be the decision making from the halves. I feel like we go short/flat when we should throw it out the back and we go short/flat when we should go out the back or cut out. The ball also always goes behind the receiver instead of right in front to not blunt his momentum.

Regardless of how bad the Cowboys are doing, if Clifford can pass properly and get some repeat sets for us, the rest of the squad is good enough to win most games in my opinion.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not off Tuala, I still think of him as a good prospect, despite what the mongoloids on the Knights Facebook page think.

It's just unfortunate that our playmakers always tend to go left in attack, when outside of this week Tuala has been on the right. You could say the same thing for Tyson Frizell, how often did we isolate Brooks in the red zone by directing Tyson at him? Jesse Ramien left us because he was constantly frustrated by never seeing the ball. This is a reoccurring problem.

The problem is our attacking structure is too clunky and predictable. Brailey, Best and Watson are the only points of difference in what is still a very pedestrian attacking structure. My hopes are lifted when any of those 3 players get the ball in the red zone, because I feel like something will happen,

Pearce has his limitations that we're all aware of. Kurt Mann is offering very little in the red zone, it's always go himself and die with the ball or throw a nothing pass. There's no sense of us building pressure or having our systems in place. It's just one out passing and hope for a flash of individual brilliance.

I'm sorry but that's primarily on the attacking coach (and to a certain extent our halves). What has he got us doing out there?
Ramien left because he didn't get his contract upgraded, don't be fooled by the "didn't get the ball" rubbish.
Problem is both our halves are effort guys, we don't have a classy, silky skilled half. I know he has his critics but I feel like someone like a Mitch Moses, or a Shaun Johnson would be better halves partner to someone like Mann because they can create opportunities, Pearce just tries very hard