What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract 2021

Tony Morris

Juniors
Is no one seeing what I am?
If rumours are true KP has been a part of getting Clifford to the Club, played really well together at junior level and are good friends. Is this our future partnership in the halves?
Hodgson moving them to FB next season?

Knight Tales

Juniors
Is no one seeing what I am?
If rumours are true KP has been a part of getting Clifford to the Club, played really well together at junior level and are good friends. Is this our future partnership in the halves?
Hodgson moving them to FB next season?
KP was a fullback in the Toyota Cup with Clifford.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Who to keep and who to let go?

Phoenix Crossland, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Blake Green, Tex Hoy, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Josh King, Edrick Lee, Kurt Mann, Enari Tuala, Connor Watson

It'd be interesting to see if opinions change as the year progresses.
Connor is a must. However he will get bigger offers elsewhere i reckon.
Greeny looks like he is going into coaching but who knows. He may have another year if we go close and the body holds up.
Crossland is gone. Seems to lack the nerve to be a first grader.
Hymel a definite retain.
Lachy will need to force his way into the back three as a starter to get a new deal. I don't see AOB being persuaded by the fact he is the NIB boss' lad.

Last edited:
Lee is all but gone. Hunt is a big priority imo. He's our only back 3 player who can read defence and make metres. Hugely underrated

Knight Tales

Juniors
Not fair to burden or blame the developing kids with the woes at this club. Letting Phoenix go would be crazy. Has plenty of tomorrows and showing good signs. Needs quality leaders. An example of the advantages of that is that while Sam Walker is a gun, if you put him in the Bulldogs or Broncos then you likely have a different outcome.

K-Man

Bench
While I wouldn't go as far as suggesting Crossland has proved anything yet, I do think it's worth noting that his two best games in the NRL were both as an actual halfback, not a hooker/bench player or playing clear second fiddle to an experienced half. If you scrapped every time you've ever seen him from your mind until the past two weeks, and based your opinion on him as a 20-year-old local halfback playing his first two games, what would you think? I'd say there is potentially a decent player there, certainly one worth having on a contract that's good value for the club.

At the very least he's less robotic in his decision making than our other options. He actually plays what he seems sometimes, his support play is exceptional (can't underestimate the importance of this asset that clearly comes naturally to him), can kick it long, and is a relatively big body / not a complete liability in defence. It's not the worst combination of attributes.

I've already seen enough to know I'd pick Crossland ahead of Mann and Green very chance I got, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, we move on with Clifford and Pearce then probably Clifford and Ponga, or another recruit. But this season is a write off already, let's give Phoenix a chance to rise!

Yosh

Coach
I'd go as far as to say Crossland is the best halfback at the club.

Hunt showed us why we need to resign him asap. Great start to sets and a great finish. Need him in the team.

Jono078

Referee
I'd be happy to commit to Phoenix for the rest of the year.

What's the point of persisting with Green if we are no chance at the finals and he retires and he hasn't exactly been up to scratch either.

Mann whilst has some nice effort games just isn't a half. He needs to have a go at the Watson utility role off the bench - as long as Watson isn't already in that position.

Spot On

Coach
While I wouldn't go as far as suggesting Crossland has proved anything yet, I do think it's worth noting that his two best games in the NRL were both as an actual halfback, not a hooker/bench player or playing clear second fiddle to an experienced half. If you scrapped every time you've ever seen him from your mind until the past two weeks, and based your opinion on him as a 20-year-old local halfback playing his first two games, what would you think? I'd say there is potentially a decent player there, certainly one worth having on a contract that's good value for the club.

At the very least he's less robotic in his decision making than our other options. He actually plays what he seems sometimes, his support play is exceptional (can't underestimate the importance of this asset that clearly comes naturally to him), can kick it long, and is a relatively big body / not a complete liability in defence. It's not the worst combination of attributes.

I've already seen enough to know I'd pick Crossland ahead of Mann and Green very chance I got, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, we move on with Clifford and Pearce then probably Clifford and Ponga, or another recruit. But this season is a write off already, let's give Phoenix a chance to rise!

What is it that this kid has done wrong??? None of us have seen him play more than a few minutes in his natural position but many are extremely negative about him?

Last night we had 4 players playing halfback at different times. The coach needs to decide who is running the team and let them have a crack. Between Mann, Crossland, Barnett and Watson we had four players filling the role of first receiver and playmaker during 80 mins.

K-Man

Bench
What is it that this kid has done wrong??? None of us have seen him play more than a few minutes in his natural position but many are extremely negative about him?

Last night we had 4 players playing halfback at different times. The coach needs to decide who is running the team and let them have a crack. Between Mann, Crossland, Barnett and Watson we had four players filling the role of first receiver and playmaker during 80 mins.

My point exactly. People were writing him off before he'd played halfback. He's looked like a prospect now that he's been given a chance to actually play his game without the shackles on. None of that is to say he'll definitely make it or is the long term solution, but I think he deserves the chance this season. Players develop at different rates and he has the basic tools to succeed.

macavity

Referee
Keep Crossland, Jones, Watson, Hunt.

and only one of those should be in our full strength 17.

rest can go.

macavity

Referee
Watson, Jones and Hunt all have a place in first grade imo. Bit harsh saying only 1 should be there

watson at 14.

the rest get a go when we have injuries.

might be harsh, but how many of our team make the Storm or Panthers let alone Eels, Roosters or even Souths? Hell, most of our team probably don’t make the Broncos side.

watson at 14.

might be harsh, but how many of our team make the Storm or Panthers let alone Eels, Roosters or even Souths? Hell, most of our team probably don’t make the Broncos side.
Agree to disagree mate. The convo was about making the Knights 17 mind you

Seeing as we are shifting the posts though I'll say Hunt makes a lot of sides, he's an excellent winger especially coming out of our own end which is so important these days. He can also play centre where he would walk into the Storm side over either Smith or Jennings

Spot On

Coach
watson at 14.

Not harsh at all. We wouldn't have a player make the Panthers or Storm team.

With the Knights goggles on - you'd make a case for maybe 2 to get a gig at Roosters (considering their injuries atm) Eels and Souths - maybe (and that's a stretch).

Hard to argue it any other way. It's the reality of it atm.

Latest posts