What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season discussion - Which ABs would make good Warriors?

Grizzman

Juniors
Its a long off season and while I was watching the ABs over my weetbix this morning, I was thinking ... who of the current crop would make good Warriors. I came up with three names, surprisingly all young blokes but they look like they could have the goods.
1) Quinn Tupaea - Seems to have it all. Strong tackler, decent step, runs hard and really gets involved. (Centre)
2) Tupou Vai'i - See above. Great workrate and looks to have an offload. (Second Row)
3) Finlay Christie - great heads up passing game, quick across the ground and tackles above his size. (Hooker)

Anyway just for fun.

Anyone else?

Matua

Bench
The Ioane's as an edge forward and wing/centre, actually Rieko might be better suited to fullback in league.

The two new hookers Aumua and Taukiaho as props maybe?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Honestly would you say “nah not interested” to any of them? Apart from a few of the biggest tight forwards they’d all be pretty useful somewhere.

Matua

Bench
Honestly would you say “nah not interested” to any of them? Apart from a few of the biggest tight forwards they’d all be pretty useful somewhere.
TBH, thinking of the hype over Reece Walsh, then a player like DMac would be a machine. Can make breaks like Walsh, would be quicker than Walsh, has a good pass like Walsh, is fearless in defence which is the exact opposite of Walsh. He wouldn't lay down after getting hit like Walsh seems to do too frequently.

Matua

Bench
TBF, since we're discussing the current Warriors we should really be pondering which Wallabies would make good Warriors.

jaseg

Juniors
TBF, since we're discussing the current Warriors we should really be pondering which Wallabies would make good Warriors.

Not sure what you're talking about, we don't have many Fijians in the team right now.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
The ones who have played league before. Any others would struggle massively. Would need at least a couple of years to acclimatise, during which time we as a fanbase would no doubt pick them apart ruthlessly.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The ones who have played league before. Any others would struggle massively. Would need at least a couple of years to acclimatise, during which time we as a fanbase would no doubt pick them apart ruthlessly.
Not so sure about that. Rocco Berry has limited league experience, and he showed the ability to make the transition very quickly to a new sport and at the highest level.

The ABs are generally a highly-skilled, intelligent and nowadays multi-dimension bunch of athletes. I have zero doubt they would come into the environment and do well - not the first week, but certainly not a couple of years either.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Not so sure about that. Rocco Berry has limited league experience, and he showed the ability to make the transition very quickly to a new sport and at the highest level.

The ABs are generally a highly-skilled, intelligent and nowadays multi-dimension bunch of athletes. I have zero doubt they would come into the environment and do well - not the first week, but certainly not a couple of years either.
I disagree, mainly because I believe the differences in the games are becoming bigger and league is starting to head away from the structured play and into the instinctual stuff where the benefit of having some experience in the game is gonna start to show. I guess maybe a winger/centre or a bash and barge prop would be ok but anyone would probably need the couple of years of adjustment. Thats just my opinion though.

Its a moot point anyway, who would trade an All Blacks jersey for a warriors one anyway? Who was the last one to do it at a successful level, Would be Marc Ellis right?

Matua

Bench
The Grinch has arrived. 😜

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I disagree, mainly because I believe the differences in the games are becoming bigger and league is starting to head away from the structured play and into the instinctual stuff where the benefit of having some experience in the game is gonna start to show. I guess maybe a winger/centre or a bash and barge prop would be ok but anyone would probably need the couple of years of adjustment. Thats just my opinion though.

Its a moot point anyway, who would trade an All Blacks jersey for a warriors one anyway? Who was the last one to do it at a successful level, Would be Marc Ellis right?
Oh yeah it's never going to happen now. The rugby guys can go to Europe or Japan and get way more than they could command in league and play the same game. People will go the other way (Laumape, RTS, lesser extent Benji + the numerous Aussies who have done it) to chase the black jersey and the cash

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ngani Laumape
Would be a massive addition to our side.

I feel like he's been a waste of a career in all - was building into a genuinely good NRL player (at both ends of the field) then switched, played a few games for the All Blacks and never quite cracked it, now he's going to play out his days in Europe/France. Had the ability to be a Nonu in rugby or a top-class NRL centre. Not sure why it all played out that way.

Matua

Bench
Would be a massive addition to our side.

I feel like he's been a waste of a career in all - was building into a genuinely good NRL player (at both ends of the field) then switched, played a few games for the All Blacks and never quite cracked it, now he's going to play out his days in Europe/France. Had the ability to be a Nonu in rugby or a top-class NRL centre. Not sure why it all played out that way.
No he didn't. His ceiling was his ceiling and he met it. I'd assume he'd be fairly happy with his career looking back making the ABs.

Would have been interesting to see how his career would have panned out in league though. Would have saved me shouting abuse at the TV when Kata died with the ball yet again.

Meth

Staff member
Laumape had great players in front of him and was a bit one-dimensional. Plus, a lot of cash overseas.

Latest posts