What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Entertainment 1977 Grand Final Replay

nontime111

Juniors
Enjoy this epic battle where we slay Parramatta after a tense draw the week before

it has everything, commentary by the Moose, biff blood sweat guts, great play, a young Reddy, Young, Starkey, Jansen and Stoney smashing them up the guts and our star studded backline carving them up out wide, touch judges getting hit with flying bottles and replaced, the WILY old Fox Harry Bath , chainsmoking on the bench right on the sideline in full showmanship .... bringing little injured Mark Schulman ( whod been kneed in the ribs by Ray Price the week before so could not play) onto the field for motivational effect after half time fully dressed , shoulder pads and all and Barry Beaths last ever game, total classic, team of legends, this was my first ever Dragons GF win as a little fella, ahh those were the days!, enjoy!

dino1

Juniors
Enjoy this epic battle where we slay Parramatta after a tense draw the week before

it has everything, commentary by the Moose, biff blood sweat guts, great play, a young Reddy, Young, Starkey, Jansen and Stoney smashing them up the guts and our star studded backline carving them up out wide, touch judges getting hit with flying bottles and replaced, the WILY old Fox Harry Bath , chainsmoking on the bench right on the sideline in full showmanship .... bringing little injured Mark Schulman ( whod been kneed in the ribs by Ray Price the week before so could not play) onto the field for motivational effect after half time fully dressed , shoulder pads and all and Barry Beaths last ever game, total classic, team of legends, this was my first ever Dragons GF win as a little fella, ahh those were the days!, enjoy!
If I remember it was played midweek Wasnt it???

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yes , I distinctly remember that G.F. For the absolute viciousness from the Parramatta forward pack led by Price . Remember him chasing our little angel Rodney Reddy around the field and that big brute Ray Higgs throwing the ball at one of our shy forwards .
:joy:

Yes Gareth
I also remember that dirty ray price pushing his forehead into rockets mouth on at least 2 occasions lol

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
what memories............... atmosphere at the old SCG was unbelievable especially when Shulman walked out - the entire saints supporters went wild.. and rocket repaying price for the week before well it will never happen on the field again today. Lord Ted carving them up and my very first premiership win as a dragon !!!!!!!!!!!!! great memories nontime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
What a time it was bath's babies.
And then again in 1979.
Harry bath owned the newsagent down at South Hurstville and I was a little bloke.
We were so proud that Harry would always say hi.
It was great time to live in the area.
I remember how proud my dad was as well.
Let hope we can see it again soon.

Gareth67

First Grade
what memories............... atmosphere at the old SCG was unbelievable especially when Shulman walked out - the entire saints supporters went wild.. and rocket repaying price for the week before well it will never happen on the field again today. Lord Ted carving them up and my very first premiership win as a dragon !!!!!!!!!!!!! great memories nontime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recall that also. The old fox Harry Bath had everything down to a tee , send the victim of Price’s back lane thuggery , Shulman , out and get the Dragons on a roll or should I say revenge .

He also set up Artie Beetson’s send off a couple of weeks earlier when he had 3 different Dragon forwards belt him in 3 scrums . All the ref noticed was that Artie was the combatants on each occasion , by picking on 3 Dragons therefore he must had been the instigator of the blues . 3 strikes and you were out in them days . I remember poor ole Artie shaking his head in disbelief as he ran off the field . Whereas Harry lit up a well earned B&H cig.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What a time it was bath's babies.
And then again in 1979.
Harry bath owned the newsagent down at South Hurstville and I was a little bloke.
We were so proud that Harry would always say hi.
It was great time to live in the area.
I remember how proud my dad was as well.
Let hope we can see it again soon.

Does the news agency still exist?

red rocket

Juniors

Bloodey awesome

Smurf

Juniors
I was there for the 77 grand final replay
One of the best days of my life.

That and the 79 & 2010 GF wins , Mundine & Blacklock games when they were on fire
Morris 100m tries , Creagh’s try in Anzac Day match & and the 2018 semi against the Broncos ( oh and so many more )

No wonder we love the Dragons ....

Priceless

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I recall that also. The old fox Harry Bath had everything down to a tee , send the victim of Price’s back lane thuggery , Shulman , out and get the Dragons on a roll or should I say revenge .

He also set up Artie Beetson’s send off a couple of weeks earlier when he had 3 different Dragon forwards belt him in 3 scrums . All the ref noticed was that Artie was the combatants on each occasion , by picking on 3 Dragons therefore he must had been the instigator of the blues . 3 strikes and you were out in them days . I remember poor ole Artie shaking his head in disbelief as he ran off the field . Whereas Harry lit up a well earned B&H cig.

Gareth
I have the cd of the 1977 gf and gf reply and also the 1979 gf. Harry must have gone though 2 or 3 packets of cigs that day.
Good times mate

Old Timer

Coach
Gareth
I have the cd of the 1977 gf and gf reply and also the 1979 gf. Harry must have gone though 2 or 3 packets of cigs that day.
Good times mate
I saw all those games and loved every minute of them.
The Cronin shot at goal in the 1st GF was a heart stopper as was the Quirk shot at field goal and I remember the strange feeling when full time was blown and everyone wondered what might occur as we were in unchartered waters.
The Reddy square up with Price in the 77 GF replay was "priceless" one might say.
The Eels peddled the story that Cook who was employed by Penfolds was "got at" to allow Reddy to run amok for the game.
My sources back then said it was 20 minutes and what a 20 minutes it was with Reddy delivering complete retribution for the dirty tactics the Eels employed the week before and also what they dished out in the replay as well.
Poor old Harry's fingers were chewed to the bone and as yellow as a sunflower.
Great memories of a great time and to think all the players and the coaches had real jobs as well as play/coach footy meanwhile there were just as many brilliant players then if not more than now which is a real shame.

nontime111

Juniors
The Cronin shot at goal in the 1st GF was a heart stopper as was the Quirk shot at field goal and I remember the strange feeling when full time was blown and everyone wondered what might occur as we were in unchartered waters.
The Reddy square up with Price in the 77 GF replay was "priceless" one might say.
The Eels peddled the story that Cook who was employed by Penfolds was "got at" to allow Reddy to run amok for the game.
My sources back then said it was 20 minutes and what a 20 minutes it was with Reddy delivering complete retribution for the dirty tactics the Eels employed the week before and also what they dished out in the replay as well.
Great memories of a great time and to think all the players and the coaches had real jobs as well as play/coach footy meanwhile there were just as many brilliant players then if not more than now which is a real shame.
Yep!! and total CHARACTERS they were!! theyve stamped personality right out of the game now so sad, the old days they just were totally themselves with so much wit and real sense of humour, so many characters and larrikans league had....

SBD82

Coach
We need a Reddy in our side today with some fire and leadership in the pack.
Our pack was respected and feared.
Who would you suggest? Not many players that I'd trade for tariq, Vaughan or graham. The game is different these days, and cheap shots aren't tolerated, so you don't really need an enforcer any more. But I don't think there's a pack in the comp that wouldn't respect ours.

Bench
That replay was the highlight for me. Bringing on Schulman was very moving for me. I consider to be one of the lucky ones at the replay.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Absolutely Ot.
We felt more connected then because the player coaches ect all were truly locals you could identify with.
Like with Harry owning the newsagents and Robbie Stone being a teacher ect.
I think that is what the new breed need.
To work in a real job in the local community before they become fulltimers.
Any rate lets hope we can see us dominate again