What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-season snakes and ladders

gong_eagle

First Grade

Phil Gould | February 15, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1234028349296.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

How well has your team recruited for the 2009 season? Ideally, every NRL club would like to recruit additional talent - depth is an issue with most teams, and restrictive salary-cap laws, insufficient funding and increasing overheads have taken their toll.
These days most teams struggle to win when their top couple of players are out injured.
The NSW and Queensland Cup competitions are light-years behind first-grade standard. Some clubs are abandoning time-honoured junior representative competitions to save money.
For many years, it seems administrations within the game have grown while the player ranks are shrinking. The NRL and ARL have managed to maintain two costly and overcrowded governing bodies, continued to house staff in rented premises, conducted extravagant CEO conferences and pre-season launches, not to mention exorbitant legal fees and the retention of consultants, counsellors and advisors. The size and cost of the referee ranks and their new technology have swelled.
The number of full-time staff employed by football clubs for admin, marketing, coaching, medical and player welfare has increased significantly over 10 years.
Even our Australian and State of Origin representative teams appear to have a support crew and entourage to rival that of a world-class rock band. It must be getting expensive.
Yet top players have been shipped overseas, forced into early retirement and even off to other codes because the game apparently can't afford them.
The forces of supply and demand tell us that if we somehow increased the number of quality players coming into the market place, prices would come down. As we've now managed to reduce the number of quality players in our game, supply is short and prices for the elite players have increased.
The very best players can demand big money because there are few genuine matchwinners around.
As soon as any kid comes into first grade and shows a clean pair of heels, he's getting huge offers from everywhere, even though at this point in his career he really isn't worth the money. Once the best players set the top payment level, every other player bases their value on this false economy.
The money gets eaten up quickly. The older, average or developing players get short-changed, and player depth in clubs is continually eroded as a result. This affects the quality of games and in so doing threatens the potential value of our game to broadcasters and sponsors.

So the game is forced to cut costs, but it doesn't cut administration or operating costs - we cut player talent. Anyway, I'm getting off track.
Today I just wanted to talk about your club's recruitment for 2009. If you want to improve, or at least hold your position in this competition, you need to keep bringing quality players into your club.
Regardless of the size of your junior league or a general satisfaction with your position on the premiership ladder, there's always a player or two out there who could improve your team.
Wherever possible, you have to get your man.
Clubs that have been quiet during the trading period usually justify the inactivity by saying they are happy with their rosters. The truth is, for most clubs either the salary cap is full or it can't attract the player it really wants because it has become less desirable in recent times.
In any case, a club's recruitments, retentions and releases can say a lot about whether it can improve on last year's efforts and make a tilt at the top eight or even a title. Some look for experience. Other teams need creativity, size or speed. Everyone is looking for talent.
Taking into account the gains and losses as illustrated in the table, how did your team fare during the off-season?
Brisbane
The Broncos have released 10 first-grade standard players - normally a concern - however, they've bought prudently. No doubt they had to free up money to acquire Israel Folau but there isn't a club in the NRL that wouldn't get creative to fit this kid into their team. I love Ben Te'o as a player and Lagi Setu has great potential. On balance, though, you would have to say the Broncos have lost more than they've gained. They have sacrificed a lot of experience and a great deal of speed. No doubt they have some youngsters up there ready to step up, but this list suggests depth could become a problem.
Bulldogs

We see some really big movement here, including a new coach in Kevin Moore, but there had to be. Last year was a disaster. The Dogs have bought creativity and leadership in the form of Kimmorley and Ennis. Morris gives them speed. Hannant and Stagg bring great work ethic. The Bulldogs need more than players, though. They need a change of attitude. Time will tell.
Canberra

Canberra won the Toyota Cup under-20s competition last year so they're relying on a lot of their talented kids to step up in grade this season. They've released 11 first-graders and signed only a couple of players with regular top-grade footy behind them. On the surface it appears their recruitment has lacked the necessary bite but I think it's a sign of faith in their youth and a long-term approach to developing their next top team under new coach David Furner.

Cronulla

The Sharks scored fewer tries than any team in the NRL last season but still finished in the top three. They have bought only four players for 2009, but have a look at them - they are top-quality footballers and all have great attacking ability. No matter which way you look at it, the Sharks' roster has improved and they should surely challenge for the title.
Gold Coast

The Titans have missed the top eight the past two seasons simply because of injuries and a lack of depth. Judging by their comings and goings for this season, I doubt they've improved their roster. They needed to do more at this stage of their development. Hopefully they have some good kids coming through the ranks.
Manly

Manly won the competition last season so salary-cap issues will start to restrict their recruitment strategies. Despite the inevitable loss of some experienced campaigners they've still managed some real value in their buys. They look solid again.
Melbourne

The salary cap punishes success. The Storm have been outstanding for a few years now but the inevitable financial penalties for success are starting to bite. Look at the quality of some of their losses. Ouch! Melbourne have gone backwards.
Newcastle

The Knights have gone for playmakers with their recruitment - a familiar trait of coach Brian Smith. Danny Buderus will be hard to replace so it looks like they've bought three players to do his job. The Knights don't have the budget for expensive buys and still need to prove themselves if they hope to attract big-name players.
North Queensland

Only a few buys but all of them have potential and may well thrive on the change of clubs. The losses could all be rated as steady players so the Cowboys' depth could well be diluted. Mind you, their depth failed them last year too so it's hard to justify hanging onto a squad that failed dismally. They should improve under new coach Neil Henry.
Parramatta

The main recruit at Parramatta this season is new coach Daniel Anderson. They've set him a task, though - no major buys and some quality players walking out the gate. Where are the Eels heading? Anderson will need a magic wand.
Penrith

The list looks depressing for Panthers fans. The club urgently needs talent but just can't seem to attract the better players on the free market. I cannot see them improving based on these losses and gains.

South Sydney

Best and Wesser are genuine try-scorers which will help their cause. On the whole, though, it's hard to see Souths making the finals. They've aimed up at a few big names in recent years and missed the target. That can become a painful habit.
St George Illawarra

Coach Wayne Bennett is the Dragons' biggest recruit for 2009 and he's been very active in the player market to stamp his mark on the place. When you look at the players he's recruited, you can see they are Bennett-style players and they will do a job for him.
Sydney Roosters

The Roosters have been very quiet this summer, #buying an unknown player from England, a rugby player from Gordon and a young Penrith product. Tupou and Roberts are big losses for a team that struggled to score late last season. They will rely on some youngsters to come good.
New Zealand Warriors

Stacey bloody Jones! Where did they pull that one from? A stroke of genius, I say. Genuine playmakers retire too early and I'm so glad to see him back in the NRL. I don't mind their other recruits either. The Warriors are sneaking along nicely.
Wests Tigers

The Tigers keep losing them and can't seem to replace them. Ellis will need massive shoulders if he's to be the saviour. I love this team but I can't see them being better than middle of the road given the continued drain on their roster since they had the hide to win a premiership.
Talent to burn

I read during the week that Wests Tigers might be forced to cut lock Liam Fulton from their playing roster due to salary cap pressure. That's just great. Fulton is 24 years old - another talented player forced from the NRL simply to satisfy some ridiculous accountancy issue and the over-zealous enforcement of the salary cap. How many of you imagined the Tigers might be over the spending limit? The Liam Fultons of this world are far more important to rugby league than these totally unreasonable rules. Where will it end?

ledzep

Bench
I'm so sick of phrases like "I love Joe Bloggs as a player" and "he'll do a job for them"
They don't mean anything

butchmcdick

Post Whore
If all he did in the article was rate the squad fine but what's with the rants at the start and end ? He just can't help giving the game a kicking while he is there could he ? I can only imagine the response from some here if other so called journo's were continually sh*tting on the game the way he does.Typical Gould, he points out plenty of problems but offers nothing in the way of solutions.

About the only thing that would solve the problems of retaining and recruiting quality players without inflating the price in Gould's analogy is a draft.

Last edited:

playdaball

Bench
New Zealand Warriors

Stacey bloody Jones! Where did they pull that one from? A stroke of genius, I say. Genuine playmakers retire too early and I'm so glad to see him back in the NRL. I don't mind their other recruits either. The Warriors are sneaking along nicely.

Hopefully he has not just given the Warriors the kiss of death. I read the first two sentences of his Warriors piece and thought , "oh no here we go he is going to put the knife in" but he did the exact opposite. READING HIS COMMENTS ABOUT PLAY MAKERS LEAVING TOO EARLY PERHAPS ...

Sterlo will make a comeback this year?

Last edited:

coach

Phil Gould | February 15, 2009

How well has your team recruited for the 2009 season? Ideally, every NRL club would like to recruit additional talent - depth is an issue with most teams, and restrictive salary-cap laws, insufficient funding and increasing overheads have taken their toll.

These days most teams struggle to win when their top couple of players are out injured.

The NSW and Queensland Cup competitions are light-years behind first-grade standard. Some clubs are abandoning time-honoured junior representative competitions to save money.

For many years, it seems administrations within the game have grown while the player ranks are shrinking. The NRL and ARL have managed to maintain two costly and overcrowded governing bodies, continued to house staff in rented premises, conducted extravagant CEO conferences and pre-season launches, not to mention exorbitant legal fees and the retention of consultants, counsellors and advisors. The size and cost of the referee ranks and their new technology have swelled.

The number of full-time staff employed by football clubs for admin, marketing, coaching, medical and player welfare has increased significantly over 10 years.

Even our Australian and State of Origin representative teams appear to have a support crew and entourage to rival that of a world-class rock band. It must be getting expensive.

Yet top players have been shipped overseas, forced into early retirement and even off to other codes because the game apparently can't afford them.

The forces of supply and demand tell us that if we somehow increased the number of quality players coming into the market place, prices would come down. As we've now managed to reduce the number of quality players in our game, supply is short and prices for the elite players have increased.
The very best players can demand big money because there are few genuine matchwinners around.

As soon as any kid comes into first grade and shows a clean pair of heels, he's getting huge offers from everywhere, even though at this point in his career he really isn't worth the money. Once the best players set the top payment level, every other player bases their value on this false economy.
The money gets eaten up quickly. The older, average or developing players get short-changed, and player depth in clubs is continually eroded as a result. This affects the quality of games and in so doing threatens the potential value of our game to broadcasters and sponsors.

So the game is forced to cut costs, but it doesn't cut administration or operating costs - we cut player talent. Anyway, I'm getting off track.

Today I just wanted to talk about your club's recruitment for 2009. If you want to improve, or at least hold your position in this competition, you need to keep bringing quality players into your club.

Regardless of the size of your junior league or a general satisfaction with your position on the premiership ladder, there's always a player or two out there who could improve your team.

Wherever possible, you have to get your man.

Clubs that have been quiet during the trading period usually justify the inactivity by saying they are happy with their rosters. The truth is, for most clubs either the salary cap is full or it can't attract the player it really wants because it has become less desirable in recent times.

In any case, a club's recruitments, retentions and releases can say a lot about whether it can improve on last year's efforts and make a tilt at the top eight or even a title. Some look for experience. Other teams need creativity, size or speed. Everyone is looking for talent.

Taking into account the gains and losses as illustrated in the table, how did your team fare during the off-season?

Brisbane
The Broncos have released 10 first-grade standard players - normally a concern - however, they've bought prudently. No doubt they had to free up money to acquire Israel Folau but there isn't a club in the NRL that wouldn't get creative to fit this kid into their team. I love Ben Te'o as a player and Lagi Setu has great potential. On balance, though, you would have to say the Broncos have lost more than they've gained. They have sacrificed a lot of experience and a great deal of speed. No doubt they have some youngsters up there ready to step up, but this list suggests depth could become a problem.

Bulldogs
We see some really big movement here, including a new coach in Kevin Moore, but there had to be. Last year was a disaster. The Dogs have bought creativity and leadership in the form of Kimmorley and Ennis. Morris gives them speed. Hannant and Stagg bring great work ethic. The Bulldogs need more than players, though. They need a change of attitude. Time will tell.

Canberra
Canberra won the Toyota Cup under-20s competition last year so they're relying on a lot of their talented kids to step up in grade this season. They've released 11 first-graders and signed only a couple of players with regular top-grade footy behind them. On the surface it appears their recruitment has lacked the necessary bite but I think it's a sign of faith in their youth and a long-term approach to developing their next top team under new coach David Furner.

Cronulla
The Sharks scored fewer tries than any team in the NRL last season but still finished in the top three. They have bought only four players for 2009, but have a look at them - they are top-quality footballers and all have great attacking ability. No matter which way you look at it, the Sharks' roster has improved and they should surely challenge for the title.

Gold Coast
The Titans have missed the top eight the past two seasons simply because of injuries and a lack of depth. Judging by their comings and goings for this season, I doubt they've improved their roster. They needed to do more at this stage of their development. Hopefully they have some good kids coming through the ranks.

Manly
Manly won the competition last season so salary-cap issues will start to restrict their recruitment strategies. Despite the inevitable loss of some experienced campaigners they've still managed some real value in their buys. They look solid again.

Melbourne
The salary cap punishes success. The Storm have been outstanding for a few years now but the inevitable financial penalties for success are starting to bite. Look at the quality of some of their losses. Ouch! Melbourne have gone backwards.

Newcastle
The Knights have gone for playmakers with their recruitment - a familiar trait of coach Brian Smith. Danny Buderus will be hard to replace so it looks like they've bought three players to do his job. The Knights don't have the budget for expensive buys and still need to prove themselves if they hope to attract big-name players.

North Queensland
Only a few buys but all of them have potential and may well thrive on the change of clubs. The losses could all be rated as steady players so the Cowboys' depth could well be diluted. Mind you, their depth failed them last year too so it's hard to justify hanging onto a squad that failed dismally. They should improve under new coach Neil Henry.

Parramatta
The main recruit at Parramatta this season is new coach Daniel Anderson. They've set him a task, though - no major buys and some quality players walking out the gate. Where are the Eels heading? Anderson will need a magic wand.

Penrith
The list looks depressing for Panthers fans. The club urgently needs talent but just can't seem to attract the better players on the free market. I cannot see them improving based on these losses and gains.

South Sydney
Best and Wesser are genuine try-scorers which will help their cause. On the whole, though, it's hard to see Souths making the finals. They've aimed up at a few big names in recent years and missed the target. That can become a painful habit.

St George Illawarra
Coach Wayne Bennett is the Dragons' biggest recruit for 2009 and he's been very active in the player market to stamp his mark on the place. When you look at the players he's recruited, you can see they are Bennett-style players and they will do a job for him.

Sydney Roosters
The Roosters have been very quiet this summer, #buying an unknown player from England, a rugby player from Gordon and a young Penrith product. Tupou and Roberts are big losses for a team that struggled to score late last season. They will rely on some youngsters to come good.

New Zealand Warriors

Wests Tigers
The Tigers keep losing them and can't seem to replace them. Ellis will need massive shoulders if he's to be the saviour. I love this team but I can't see them being better than middle of the road given the continued drain on their roster since they had the hide to win a premiership.

Talent to burn
I read during the week that Wests Tigers might be forced to cut lock Liam Fulton from their playing roster due to salary cap pressure. That's just great. Fulton is 24 years old - another talented player forced from the NRL simply to satisfy some ridiculous accountancy issue and the over-zealous enforcement of the salary cap. How many of you imagined the Tigers might be over the spending limit? The Liam Fultons of this world are far more important to rugby league than these totally unreasonable rules. Where will it end?

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1234028349296.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

adamkungl

Immortal

Good point.

adamkungl

Immortal
If all he did in the article was rate the squad fine but what's with the rants at the start and end ? He just can't help giving the game a kicking while he is there could he ? I can only imagine the response from some here if other so called journo's were continually sh*tting on the game the way he does.Typical Gould, he points out plenty of problems but offers nothing in the way of solutions.

About the only thing that would solve the problems of retaining and recruiting quality players without inflating the price in Gould's analogy is a draft.

Funny, I seem to remember him criticising the massive costs spent on administration instead of players. If you still havn't caught up, less on nobodies in the convoluted governing structure = more money to clubs.

griff

Bench
Funny, I seem to remember him criticising the massive costs spent on administration instead of players. If you still havn't caught up, less on nobodies in the convoluted governing structure = more money to clubs.

It's not just the governing bodies, it's the clubs as well, a point that people have made here a little bit. We restrict the amount a club can spend on players, but not on all the other things. As this is the only area where clubs can gain an advantage, spending on these things just gets higher and higher. It would be interesting to see some numbers on head coach salary compared to player salaries, just as one example.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's not just the governing bodies, it's the clubs as well, a point that people have made here a little bit. We restrict the amount a club can spend on players, but not on all the other things. As this is the only area where clubs can gain an advantage, spending on these things just gets higher and higher. It would be interesting to see some numbers on head coach salary compared to player salaries, just as one example.

Yeah I agree. However my point was mainly arguing that apparently Gould just rants and offers no solutions Bourbon Bec style.

butchmcdick

Post Whore

Why stop there, why not get the players mum's to sew the jerseys and the captains wife to wash them after the match ?

Perhaps league teams might actually need to spend money on administration staff to run proffessional organisations. Maybe fans and sponsors expect their clubs to be run by qualified staff who actually know what they are doing. If Gould is unhappy what system does he suggest to replace the current one ? IF clubs spent more money on players he would be bitching the players were overpaid. If he wants to get rid of the NSWRL and the QRL who would run the game ?

It seemed to me he was also having a go at the salary cap. If he (or you) want to watch a comp where the team with the biggest sugar daddy wins every year go watch the english premier league.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why stop there, why not get the players mum's to sew the jerseys and the captains wife to wash them after the match ?

Perhaps league teams might actually need to spend money on administration staff to run proffessional organisations. Maybe fans and sponsors expect their clubs to be run by qualified staff who actually know what they are doing. If Gould is unhappy what system does he suggest to replace the current one ? IF clubs spent more money on players he would be bitching the players were overpaid. If he wants to get rid of the NSWRL and the QRL who would run the game ?

It seemed to me he was also having a go at the salary cap. If he (or you) want to watch a comp where the team with the biggest sugar daddy wins every year go watch the english premier league.

My main issues are with the amount of governing bodies. Its a convoluted structure that not only means frictions between different bodies results in less moving forward and more arguing, but jobs that are surely overlapping and could be done by far less people.

Why do you assume Gould would criticise players for being overpaid? He has always advocated higher pay and the removal or loosening of the salary cap. Removing the salary cap is not something I agree with btw. I think concessions so that success isnt punished (for developed juniors and long serving players) is a must.

I don't always agree with his solutions, but rarely do I see a criticism from Gould that isn't valid, an issue which if resolved would lead to a better game. Unlike a lot of other journalists.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
My main issues are with the amount of governing bodies. Its a convoluted structure that not only means frictions between different bodies results in less moving forward and more arguing, but jobs that are surely overlapping and could be done by far less people.

Why do you assume Gould would criticise players for being overpaid? He has always advocated higher pay and the removal or loosening of the salary cap. Removing the salary cap is not something I agree with btw. I think concessions so that success isnt punished (for developed juniors and long serving players) is a must.

I don't always agree with his solutions, but rarely do I see a criticism from Gould that isn't valid, an issue which if resolved would lead to a better game. Unlike a lot of other journalists.

I agree the governing structure is sh*te but that isn't going to change any time soon is it ? The ARL isn't going to vote itself out of existance niether are the QRL, NRL or NSWRL. Can you honestly see the creation of a governing body whose members have no self interest through their ties with individual clubs ?

As for gould can you honestly tell me at least half of his writing doesn't contain an agenda ususally related to news limited in some way ?

adamkungl

Immortal
I agree the governing structure is sh*te but that isn't going to change any time soon is it ? The ARL isn't going to vote itself out of existance niether are the QRL, NRL or NSWRL. Can you honestly see the creation of a governing body whose members have no self interest through their ties with individual clubs ?

As for gould can you honestly tell me at least half of his writing doesn't contain an agenda ususally related to news limited in some way ?

So because they're too stubborn to change we shouldn't complain about it?

As for News, they are a huge part of the problem imo. And to be fair, half of what Rothfield writes for the telecrap is about Fairfax. And the other half about Gould.

RL1908

Bench

This (below) doesn't quite answer your question but does the break up on spending $
(source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23901838-5006066,00.html )

0,,6105046,00.jpg

Last edited:

RL1908

Bench

The answer probably lays in finding a balance.

How is it that in the space of 15 years we have gone from a game where the bulk of each club's income has gone from paying the players, to now where it is down around 25% going to the players, and clubs are going broke spending $11m on keeping a $4.1m team on the field?

I don't think the game's income is dependent upon it being a full time professional sport for the players. Do the tv moguls and the fans care if the players are made work for 7 days a week? Would the "product" be any worse if players trained less, did their own fitness work?

In other words, the players salaries can be kept at current levels, provided something is done to end the off-field "space race" and curb that spending.

The NRL is attempting to cover the salary cap costs to each club via the NRL grant. So, each club won't even have to fund its players' salaries.

All of which leaves me struggling to understand what is the imperative that makes it necessary for players to train fulltime, and for each NRL club to spend $11 million to put a team on the field (a team that they don't even fund the salaries for).

Just because a footballer is paid $200K doesn't mean that he has be trained every day of the week, and looked after like a race horse or a V8 - all of which costs money.

Better to put the $ into the bank balances of the players, have them train at 2 team sessions per week, and front up on the weekend for a game. As a fan, who would care? Would the spectacle be so bad that the game was no longer worth watching? Attendances from 1908 to 1995 would suggest part time footballers can put on quite a decent show!

I agree that the game has to live within its means, but it isn't the spending of $ on players that is consuming each club's $11 million. Players salaries are almost covered entirely by the NRL.

How is it that in the space of 15 years we have gone from a game where the bulk of each club's income has gone from paying the players, to now where it is down around 25% going to the players, and clubs are going broke spending $11m on keeping a $4.1m team on the field?

I don't think the game's income is dependent upon it being a full time professional sport for the players. Do the tv moguls and the fans care if the players are made work for 7 days a week? Would the "product" be any worse if players trained less, did their own fitness work?

In other words, the players salaries can be kept at current levels, provided something is done to end the off-field "space race" and curb that spending.

The NRL is attempting to cover the salary cap costs to each club via the NRL grant. So, each club won't even have to fund its players' salaries.

All of which leaves me struggling to understand what is the imperative that makes it necessary for players to train fulltime, and for each NRL club to spend $11 million to put a team on the field (a team that they don't even fund the salaries for).

Just because a footballer is paid $200K doesn't mean that he has be trained every day of the week, and looked after like a race horse or a V8 - all of which costs money.

Better to put the $ into the bank balances of the players, have them train at 2 team sessions per week, and front up on the weekend for a game. As a fan, who would care? Would the spectacle be so bad that the game was no longer worth watching? Attendances from 1908 to 1995 would suggest part time footballers can put on quite a decent show!

I agree that the game has to live within its means, but it isn't the spending of $ on players that is consuming each club's $11 million. Players salaries are almost covered entirely by the NRL.

Top bloody post

+1

adamkungl

Immortal

Nice in theory but its essentially saying to all the clubs
"Ok, everybody, stop trying your best to gain an advantage......now!"

butchmcdick

Post Whore

There is no way to set your watch to 1985 and let the good times roll.

Players now are fulltime proffesionals. They won't accept being told that suddenly they will have to get jobs to supplement their incomes. All that would do would drive young players to other codes. Also how is going back to players being trained twice a week and rocking up on the weekend going to move our game forward at all ? Like it or not the game is not going to go back to how it was 20 years ago.

Having watched a fair bit of the football put on by the players pre fulltime proffesionalism it wasn't a patch on todays game. ( I know some of you may disagree and thats fine to but thats my opinion) If you had teams from the early 90's against teams from the current era the current teams would sh*t all over them.

Also as Adam says, clubs won't give up searching for an edge over the competition.

RL1908

Bench
Nice in theory but its essentially saying to all the clubs
"Ok, everybody, stop trying your best to gain an advantage......now!"

Sure, that can never be stopped completely. But what if RL was a game where what you did on the training field and in the gym was less of an advantage to your on-field results? Would they still spend the money then?

What I'm alluding to is that if we looked at the rule book - particularly the 10m rule and interchange, which both changed RL into a game where winning the off-field training/recovery battle decides winners - there may be ways to lessen the need (and the $) for all the full-time training, the summer training, the wrestling coaches and sessions, the medical staff and injury treatments, star players sitting in the stands injured for months on end, player burn-out, having no pre-season comp, not having enough "quality" players, the recovery sessions, video sessions, no national mid-week club knock-out comp etc etc.

The brutal physical nature and damage put on NRL players is at the seat of RL's problems. This is what is sucking $ out of the game (including funding for bush, social and junior football), not so called over-paid players.

It's no good everyone in RL sitting around feeling smugly that we have "the greatest game of all" if it becomes impossible to fund playing that sort of form of RL.