What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-season training

cb4

First Grade
Also because Simon Dwyer will never have full range of movement in his shoulder or hand again. Brackia Plexis is a joint surpression, nerve injury.

Knee reco's can happen to anyone.

SharkShocked

Bench
Also because Simon Dwyer will never have full range of movement in his shoulder or hand again. Brackia Plexis is a joint surpression, nerve injury.

Knee reco's can happen to anyone.

Yep - hasn't seemed to stop Brent Tate (as much as I dislike him) from constantly achieving his best.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Bang on Shark Shocked & that was my next example.
Stapo has had 3 career ending injuries to his knees that have disrupted his progression. let alone the fact he has played in a rubbish team & club his entire career, unlike Tate.

ghoti

Bench
Reefy, would you say that because of his many severe injuries that he has bravely played through, that he has underperformed as a first grade footballer?

Would you then agree that he has underperformed as a first grade footballer?

cb4

First Grade
There is a major difference between Tate and Stapo.

One is a quality first grader. One is a depth player.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Reefy, would you say that because of his many severe injuries that he has bravely played through, that he has underperformed as a first grade footballer?

Would you then agree that he has underperformed as a first grade footballer?
Exactly. If you compare Tate & Stapo, winners & losers
natural ability: Stapo country mile
Speed: Stapo country mile
Agility: Stapo country mile
Utility value. Stapo country mile
Confidence: Tate country mile, despite the tears.
Agression: Tate
Toughness: draw

So why is stapo behind Tate? Tate played with the best players in the forwards & backs for years & developed ifn a winning team/club that played finals every year. When Tate returned to first grade he played in a winning side & that trained his confidence & removed fears of re-injury in over playing/trying to hard.

Stapo came back into C grade level team, was blamed for no speed despite being one of the fastest in the NRL, & blamed for a myriad of other short comings, as a winger.

Would have been interesting if Stapo had been offered the same opportunity as REeece Robinson at the Broncos, who is somebody that most of the experts on here would call or in CB4's case, did call, "depth" .

Facts Only

Juniors
Exactly. If you compare Tate & Stapo, winners & losers
natural ability: Stapo country mile
Speed: Stapo country mile
Agility: Stapo country mile
Utility value. Stapo country mile
Confidence: Tate country mile, despite the tears.
Agression: Tate
Toughness: draw

So why is stapo behind Tate? Tate played with the best players in the forwards & backs for years & developed ifn a winning team/club that played finals every year. When Tate returned to first grade he played in a winning side & that trained his confidence & removed fears of re-injury in over playing/trying to hard.

Stapo came back into C grade level team, was blamed for no speed despite being one of the fastest in the NRL, & blamed for a myriad of other short comings, as a winger.

Would have been interesting if Stapo had been offered the same opportunity as REeece Robinson at the Broncos, who is somebody that most of the experts on here would call or in CB4's case, did call, "depth" .

There are 500 odd players play first grade each year.
TATE has been picked to play for the Kangaroos - THIS YEAR !!

Stapo can't get a game for Cronulla in front of Beau, Wright, Feki, Pom, Gordon, Mills.

No one is arguing his toughness or commitment.

He's obviously a favourite of yours - granted - but GOOD players, that are playing resi's get poached by other clubs - e.g. Peachey

Stapo and Gardner are in the same boat - not first graders.

My question - if he was SO GOOD- why wasn't he picked to play first's ???????

carcharias

Immortal
Can go the length
Has done it recently from inside his own goal line.

I have no problem with him in the team.

Madsharkie

First Grade
I will always love that intercept try against the donkeys in 2012 at sandcorp. Was a brilliant night giving it to the bongoes fans!
But I'd have Tate over Stapo any day.

Card Shark

Immortal
BTR, you've been around long enough to know the sharks accept mediocrity & unfortunately Stapo falls into that category.

We need better wingers & centres...end of story .

Crikey!!!!

Juniors
Stapo v Tate....

PLS...

Tate always played with quality so there for has always had the opportunities????
He spent a year or two at the warriors and i believe he got picked from there for SOO.
Give me a half fit tate over a fully fit stapo anyday.
The man nows what it is like be a winner.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Stapo v Tate....

PLS...

Tate always played with quality so there for has always had the opportunities????
He spent a year or two at the warriors and i believe he got picked from there for SOO.
Give me a half fit tate over a fully fit stapo anyday.
The man nows what it is like be a winner.

Craig field knew how to be a winner. Was probably the best player in the ARL when he played for Souths. Thats why Manly poached his as the highest paid player in the comp.
The thing was, he was low on natural ability & when he went to a team of stars, got his head mixed up & fell away big team.
So what makes a good first grader?
Must have natural ability at a key skill.
Strength , speed & endurance.
For a long career, must come through the lower ranks & into firsts with a strong club, or , change clubs regularly. Stats show players who come from strong clubs have much longer careers.
Need to be able to play with & rehabilitate injury.
Need to know how to rebuild confidence.
Case in point, Tate was awful at the cowboys after injury. Slow, dropping balls, missign tackles, for almost an entire season. never got dropped. Rebuilt his confidence & came good. Stapo has & never would be afforded that opportunity.

Latest posts