What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season trivia

Benny

First Grade
Ok the list of 14 is:

Mark Coyne
Paul McGregor
Craig Smith
Nathan Brown
Lance Thompson
Jamie Ainscough
Trent Barrett
Jason Ryles
Mark Gasnier
Ben Hornby
Matt Cooper
Dean Young
Shaun Timmins
Jason Hooper

Willow: I am positive Ainscough captained the side, from the wing on 1 occassion against the Warriors from memory. Mark Coyne was co-captain with Paul McGregor in 1999 so definately captained the side. St.Linnane seems to be the gun so maybe he can let us know and hit us with the next questions.

Actual Club Captains have been (though I stand to be corrected):

1999 - Mark Coyne and Paul McGregor
2000 - Craig Smith and Nathan Brown
2001 - Craig Smith
2002 - Trent Barrett
2003 - Trent Barrett
2004 - Trent Barrett
2005 - Trent Barrett
2006 - Trent Barrett
2007 - Mark Gasnier, Jason Ryles and Ben Hornby
2008 - Mark Gasnier
2009 - Ben Hornby
2010 - Ben Hornby

Last edited:

St. Linnane

First Grade
Ainscough is credited as captaining the side in round 4, 2001 in New Zealand.

Coyne is credited with 13 captaincy appearances in 1999 - though they were co-captains so I don't know how this works.

If Bartrim did run on as captain, he hasn't been credited with it.

My source is www.rugbyleagueproject.org a brilliant statistical resources of all things rugby league.

St. Linnane

First Grade
Next question (on Benny's instruction)...

Who am I? I played for Cronulla, St. George, Illawarra and then finished my career with St. George, playing 140 games in total.

Benny

First Grade
I'll ask to keep it moving:

While playing for St.George - players have won a record 13 Clive Churchill medals. The first Clive Churchill medal went to Parramatta's Peter Sterling in 1986 and as part of the Centenary Celebrations retrospective awards were announced starting in 1954 with Cliven CHurchill the man the award is named after the inaugural winner.

Name 10 of the St.George players to win the award

Benny

First Grade
Correct:

Kevin Brown - 56
Norm Provan - 57, 58 and 63
Peter Provan - 59
Monty Porter - 60
Brian Clay - 61
Ian Walsh - 62
Graeme Langlands - 64
Kevin Ryan - 65
John Raper - 66
Craig Young - 77
Steve Morris - 79
Brad Mackay - 93 (losing side)
Darius Boyd - 2010

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow: I am positive Ainscough captained the side, from the wing on 1 occassion against the Warriors from memory.
I remember that too. I was trying to rack the brain because I knew someone had captained on the wing, and Ainscough was the only real possibility - just wasn't sure. It sticks out simply because of the rarity of a winger being named captain.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Here you go Benny...

I wrote this myself nine years ago (2001)...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]JAMIE AINSCOUGH NAMED AS SKIPPER[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]Tuesday 6 March: With the sidelining of Craig Smith and Nathan Brown being unavailable through injury, Andrew Farrer has named experienced back, Jamie Ainscough as team captain. League historians will have to go back a long way to find the last time a winger was named captain of a 1st grade RL team.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Chris Leikvoll gets his chance in the front row in place of Smith.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1. Amos Roberts 2. Nathan Blacklock 3. Mark Gasnier 4. Paul McGregor 5. Jamie Ainscough (C) 6. Trent Barrett 7. Willie Peters 8. Luke Bailey 9. Jason Hooper* 10. Chris Leikvoll 11. Andrew Hart 12. Colin Ward 13. Wayne Bartrim[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Reserves: 14. Jason Ryles 15. Jamie Fitzgerald 16. Mark Riddell** 17. Lee Hookey[/SIZE]

http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/saints2001_04.htm

Interesting listening to the audio of Ainscough being interviewed and referring to Harrigan as 'Billy'. The rumour was that he hated being called Billy.

And the SOTV ref rating. Haha... I almost forgot how much we hated Harrigan. lol

Bill gets a point for having the nous to score a Friday night gig in NZ, giving him the rest of the weekend to relax in those thermal pools. Smart thinking Billy.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Name the ball boys in the 1949 Grand Final..

Just kidding. Who has scored the most tries in St George's history and how many?

Last edited: