What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

off the mark..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
noticed a lot lately in games the bloke playing the ball taking two to three steps forward of the mark before playing it..

years ago this would be penalised, but seems to be lately either the refs don't care or don't notice..

anyone else noticed this recently?

DJShaksta

First Grade
Yes, it's been happening ALOT recently.
What's more infuriating Muzby is that when the markers stand their ground they end up being penalized for infringing the play the ball, or told to get back and let him play it by the referee.

The Roosters used this tactic to great effect in 2010, thus it was banned in 2011. Since the roosters don't do it anymore it won't be banned

FACT

Noa

First Grade
My pet hate atm, Roosters must have been watching old DVD's as theyre the biggest culprits

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yes, it's been happening ALOT recently.
What's more infuriating Muzby is that when the markers stand their ground they end up being penalized for infringing the play the ball, or told to get back and let him play it by the referee.

yep, it's like the rule to get hands off the ball as soon as the tackle has made has somehow transition itself to the play the ball as well, allowing the attackers as much leniency as possible..

if the bloke takes a step off the mark, it should be a penalty to the other side*

*that's the rule isn't it? or is it classified as a knock on?

DJShaksta

First Grade
Yeah I think that's the rule.
Hell, even if they were told to actually go back and play the ball on the correct mark it'd halt the quick play they were after and let the defense reset.
If they do it again after being told to go back once or twice then penalize them.
It's just rubbish seeing someone get cut down in a good tackle only to have them get up and take 2 or 3 steps forward trying to put the markers and defense offside.

Danish

Referee
Hollywood deemed this a non-core offence and instructed refs to simply call "you've shortened it", meaning you've made the offside line less than 10m.

The dumbf**k did this thinking he was being really clever by "saving" a penalty and keeping the game flowing. Instead he just taught coaches to encourage this behaviour to give their dummy halves and propa an easy 8-10m hit up by taking the markers out of play.

So in typical Harrigan fashion he ballsed it up completely in the name of meeting his mythical KPIs. Even funnier it actually leads to more penalties as now markers are getting pinged for "not square" when in actual fact they are only offside due to walking off the mark.

Have I mentioned that I hate Harrigan?

Snappy

Coach
So the federal election was called today. It's Roosters v Roosters. That neutral guy told me so.

Bandwagon

Staff member
They made a big song and dance about penalising it in 2011, As usual with the policing of these things it fell by the wayside by about round 7 or 8

And yes, it shits me also, especially when two to three meters are stolen and the markers are penalised,

Isn't is happening on many occasions because the attacking person is trying to get away from the tackler who is in his way on the floor. It's nice to see the Storm not getting blamed for this; as we try to play properly, yes I saw C.Cronk exaggerate a fall once when defending as he may have been obstructed, but Bellamy got everybody together after that and they decided that they would not dive to try and gain a penalty; and ppl saying we invented some defensive/tackling ploys, which is not true, everybody was at it.

But, if you want to see messy tackle areas then have a look at the European SL. Flip they need 2 refs urgently.

franklin2323

Immortal
noticed a lot lately in games the bloke playing the ball taking two to three steps forward of the mark before playing it..

years ago this would be penalised, but seems to be lately either the refs don't care or don't notice..

anyone else noticed this recently?

Always do it. Infront of the kicker off kickoff's is another never picked up

beave

Coach
Hollywood deemed this a non-core offence and instructed refs to simply call "you've shortened it", meaning you've made the offside line less than 10m.

The dumbf**k did this thinking he was being really clever by "saving" a penalty and keeping the game flowing. Instead he just taught coaches to encourage this behaviour to give their dummy halves and propa an easy 8-10m hit up by taking the markers out of play.

So in typical Harrigan fashion he ballsed it up completely in the name of meeting his mythical KPIs. Even funnier it actually leads to more penalties as now markers are getting pinged for "not square" when in actual fact they are only offside due to walking off the mark.

Have I mentioned that I hate Harrigan?

Beautifully put Danish.

And this is why the touch judges should be getting more involved from the sidelines instead of standing there with their fingers up their asses as they generally have a better view of attacking players walking off the mark and illegally taking the markers out of play. I await Skeepes opinion on this with baited breath...........:D

Cartman

Juniors
I get annoyed at seeing the attacking player getting away with playing the ball without properly getting to their feet. Almost like touch football out there sometimes, just laying the ball down and stumbling over the top.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Walking off the mark and forward passes from the dummy half, they are happening in every game and not being picked up.

TheDalek079

Bench
the defensive players need to be back 10. if they are less than that they get penalised.

if we expect them to be in the correct position then the playtheballer needs to be too. if he steps off the mark then penalise him