What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Topic - Identify Fraud - My Case So Far ...............

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As a number of you good people know, l'm a builder here on the Gold Coast.
I've been building for nearly 40 years and have always had an unblemished record and name for myself.

I'm licenced through the QBCC ( Queensland Building & Construction Comission ) and just a week ago from the Brisbane office, l was sent an email from the board for 'Non Compliance Notice, on a job where l had supposedly ripped a client off. They gave me 7 days to make contact and comply with a said process.

I made contact with the board and stated that l did not know of the person ( client ) or the address in Brisbane. l have not worked in Brisbane for over 3 years.

Yesterday, l recevied another Non Compliant Notice, this time from the Gold Coast Branch, basically for the same thing.
Again, from a person and address whom l do not know of.
I can state that l've always had excellent realationships with my clients, hence the reason my son and l do a lot of 'repeat business' for past and present clients and referrals.

I spoke with the boards and made notice to each of them, about the 'other' case, just to link them together.
What was happening was blatant fraud!

Someone was using my personal name, my business name and forging my signature, to win building jobs. They were taking large deposits, 30-47K, not paying onsite trades and taking off. On top of that, they were advertising throughout 3 states of Australia, using my licence number and name..................... Total Fraud!

Today, l went to the local Police station and wrote a Stat Dec. with them. Later, as it happened, the victim from the first case arrived at my house and asked, ................. are you the real? ( name witheld )

We sat and had a beer together and chatted about the both sides of this fraud matter. He even showed me a photo of the fake me!

The strange thing is, overnight, l was supplied by the QBCC, copies of the fake invoices and the listed bank account details of the fraudster. The Police have now stated that it is now a major crimmal case ( other factors involved which l can't state ) and hopefully, an arrest will be forthcoming, soon. Litigation would cost me an arm & leg with little if no financal return. I have everything to lose and nothing to gain. I'm an open target.

As a licenced contractor, all my details are open to the public, which can be and has been abused.
My good name for which l have built up over 40 years can be ruined in a matter of minutes. Apparently the fraudster had Hi Pages advertisiment around the country, using my details for his benefit.

I think the licencing board will need to address the issue of what is made public .............. people like myself need some protection, surely.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
OKB1 , mate I am terribly sorry to hear about your situation, more so after 40 hard years of building your reputation in the industry only to have it come crashing down upon you , because of the set-up of the licensing system and the jackals that eat away at the hard work of the actual owner . As far as I am concerned the only aspect of your business that should be public information is the name of the business and the phone number , full stop.

Sincerely hope that the police do catch the mongrel and not only fine him all monies received but a hell of a lot more and a long jail sentence. Best of luck in your endeavors old mate , I hope that it does not put too much of a strain upon your family or health.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
OKB
Sad to hear all of the above but unfortunately yours is not an isolated incident
Not sure what insurances you carry but suggest you have a discussion with the underwriters as to possible remedies under your policies
Of course there is also the possibility for you discuss compensation with the state government as you are a victim of crime and your good name is being trashed which could have lasting affects

I've been building for nearly 40 years and have always had an unblemished record and name for myself.

I'm licenced through the QBCC ( Queensland Building & Construction Comission ) and just a week ago from the Brisbane office, l was sent an email from the board for 'Non Compliance Notice, on a job where l had supposedly ripped a client off. They gave me 7 days to make contact and comply with a said process.

I made contact with the board and stated that l did not know of the person ( client ) or the address in Brisbane. l have not worked in Brisbane for over 3 years.

Yesterday, l recevied another Non Compliant Notice, this time from the Gold Coast Branch, basically for the same thing.
I can state that l've always had excellent realationships with my clients, hence the reason my son and l do a lot of 'repeat business' for past and present clients and referrals.

I spoke with the boards and made notice to each of them, about the 'other' case, just to link them together.

Someone was using my personal name, my business name and forging my signature, to win building jobs. They were taking large deposits, 30-47K, not paying onsite trades and taking off. On top of that, they were advertising throughout 3 states of Australia, using my licence number and name..................... Total Fraud!

Today, l went to the local Police station and wrote a Stat Dec. with them. Later, as it happened, the victim from the first case arrived at my house and asked, ................. are you the real? ( name witheld )

We sat and had a beer together and chatted about the both sides of this fraud matter. He even showed me a photo of the fake me!

The strange thing is, overnight, l was supplied by the QBCC, copies of the fake invoices and the listed bank account details of the fraudster. The Police have now stated that it is now a major crimmal case ( other factors involved which l can't state ) and hopefully, an arrest will be forthcoming, soon. Litigation would cost me an arm & leg with little if no financal return. I have everything to lose and nothing to gain. I'm an open target.

As a licenced contractor, all my details are open to the public, which can be and has been abused.
My good name for which l have built up over 40 years can be ruined in a matter of minutes. Apparently the fraudster had Hi Pages advertisiment around the country, using my details for his benefit.

I think the licencing board will need to address the issue of what is made public .............. people like myself need some protection, surely.

Your thoughts?
Sounds like a harrowing experience and one that shows how sophisticated some of these frauds can be.
My only question is that if someone was going to build a house or a big renovation involving a lot of money, why wouldn't the client do a more thorough due diligence on the building contractor?
I suppose people are naturally trusting but I have certainly become more cautious over the years.
Very sorry for all your troubles.
I hope it gets resolved quickly and you can put it behind you.
All the best.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
OKB...firstly sorry to hear of your problems mate....not sure if it would be a part solution for you but dont buildings, extensions and renovations have to be approved through local councils etc.....maybe you could contact these authorities and advise them of your issues and any future work submitted under your name that they advise you before approval is given...it wont fix the work that the fraudster is doing currently or has done but it may go a long way to preventing any further embarrassment to you and your family...good luck with it all I hope they catch the bastards

merahputih

Juniors

Your thoughts?
That is a horrible thing to happen to you OKB. I'm not a legal expert but as you say the police are now pursuing the matter i would imagine they would be looking at laying criminal fraud charges (as opposed to civil fraud) against the alleged offender. I am fairly sure that the Qld Government has a service where victims of crime can get free legal advice on what their rights are, etc before you have to shell out for an expensive lawyer. I hope you can get all the help you need and come out the other end of this awful business.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Sounds like a harrowing experience and one that shows how sophisticated some of these frauds can be.
My only question is that if someone was going to build a house or a big renovation involving a lot of money, why wouldn't the client do a more thorough due diligence on the building contractor?
I suppose people are naturally trusting but I have certainly become more cautious over the years.
Very sorry for all your troubles.
I hope it gets resolved quickly and you can put it behind you.
All the best.

OKB...firstly sorry to hear of your problems mate....not sure if it would be a part solution for you but dont buildings, extensions and renovations have to be approved through local councils etc.....maybe you could contact these authorities and advise them of your issues and any future work submitted under your name that they advise you before approval is given...it wont fix the work that the fraudster is doing currently or has done but it may go a long way to preventing any further embarrassment to you and your family...good luck with it all I hope they catch the bastards

Thanks folks for your kind words .............

You are correct, gents.

This person is targeting people who may be new to the country, possibly persons who aren't prepared to do their homework. The bogus builder tells his clients that everything is going thru council, when in reality, it isn't.

Facts are, any job over $3,300.00 must have government insurance on it, in case the builder goes bad, etc. Here in Queensland, its the QBCC. Many people aren't aware of this insurance that protects the client. As a licenced contractor, l must provide this service or l get fined and or lose my licence.

The amount you can charge a client for a deposit, depends on the value / type of job. New builds are different to renos.

I'm currently working with my licencing board, the QBCC, to sort thru this matter. Now that we have collated a lot detail, the case against the fraudster is significant and should absolve me of any wrongdoing. I just get the bad name from word of mouth.

The fraudster has been using my name, business name, licence number and forging my signature ( as l found out today ) since August last year, so he may have done me a lot of damage.

I have a photo of him for which l'm considering throwing darts at!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
That is a horrible thing to happen to you OKB. I'm not a legal expert but as you say the police are now pursuing the matter i would imagine they would be looking at laying criminal fraud charges (as opposed to civil fraud) against the alleged offender. I am fairly sure that the Qld Government has a service where victims of crime can get free legal advice on what their rights are, etc before you have to shell out for an expensive lawyer. I hope you can get all the help you need and come out the other end of this awful business.

Cheers Mera,

I've taken some legal advise but it is a 'commercial' matter for which No win, No Charge costs do not exist. Its Pay As You Go with no financial compensation so l won't be pursuing the matter legally.
l do expect the Police to be successful with their charges though. If he has left the country ( which he often does ) he will be arrested on arrival back into the country, at any given airport............ so l have been informed.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

You are correct, gents.

This person is targeting people who may be new to the country, possibly persons who aren't prepared to do their homework. The bogus builder tells his clients that everything is going thru council, when in reality, it isn't.

Facts are, any job over $3,300.00 must have government insurance on it, in case the builder goes bad, etc. Here in Queensland, its the QBCC. Many people aren't aware of this insurance that protects the client. As a licenced contractor, l must provide this service or l get fined and or lose my licence.

The amount you can charge a client for a deposit, depends on the value / type of job. New builds are different to renos.

I'm currently working with my licencing board, the QBCC, to sort thru this matter. Now that we have collated a lot detail, the case against the fraudster is significant and should absolve me of any wrongdoing. I just get the bad name from word of mouth.

The fraudster has been using my name, business name, licence number and forging my signature ( as l found out today ) since August last year, so he may have done me a lot of damage.

Out of curiosity, how did he get your signature?

Dragonsamy

Bench
OKB
Sad to hear all of the above but unfortunately yours is not an isolated incident
Not sure what insurances you carry but suggest you have a discussion with the underwriters as to possible remedies under your policies
Of course there is also the possibility for you discuss compensation with the state government as you are a victim of crime and your good name is being trashed which could have lasting affects

Spot on OT

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Out of curiosity, how did he get your signature?

He didn't.
He just tells people he's me and signs my name.

Today, l've done a lot of research and l believe l've tracked him down.
I've matched the photo given to me and a fraudster who has a massive track record, identical to the current situation. Matching state addresses for incidents, everything.

The thing l can't get my head around is ............. how does the law let him get away with it?
He's been before courts numerous times before!
He's taken people for hundreds of thousands of dollars since 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019!

If anyone does any searches, please do not post anything, thanks.

SBD82

Coach

You are correct, gents.

I know that it’s not a great idea while criminal proceedings are ongoing, but any chance you could post the photo once everything is wrapped up?

I’d be happy to throw some darts on your behalf.