What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office footy tipping rules

At my new office they dont have a footy tipping comp so ive taken it upon myself to start one. What type of rules apply to the average footy tipping comp for the workplace and what about price money/entry fee, looking at some going to the social club.

The Colonel

Immortal
If you're running a tipping comp then whatever money is put in probably should go to first second and third rather than anything going to the social club for starters. Not sure about the poeople entering but if I was entering I'd baulk at having to give some of that to the social club.

$1 to $2 per round is generally a good start or a flat fifty dollar fee. You could also offer a prize for a full round each round - $0.25 per person per round ($6.50) would be good and this comes out of the main total. So if for example twenty people enter a full round could give the winner $5.00 each week and this jackpots until someone scores a full round.

Correct tip = 2 points
Incorrect Tip = 0 points
Late Tips = Away Teams less 1 point off total.
Full Round = 4 extra points

Not sure what else..... other than using something a web based program that offers a private competition set up so it makes it easier at the end of every round to calculate the scores and placings as it can be time consuming doing it manually. Saves a lot of arguments as well.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Electric Horseman,

LeagueUnlimited have a tipping comp every year and the 2008 one will be launching next week.

Its possible run your own personal tipping comp online from that, the website addy is: http://www.tippingunlimited.com

But if you just want to run one on the whiteboard, so to speak, then please feel free to use the TippingUnlimited rules as a guideline:

How To Score Points
  • You receive 2 points for every correct tip
  • You receive 2 points for a tipped draw
  • You receive 0 points for an incorrect tip
  • You receive 0 points for a draw unless it was tipped
  • If you fail to submit your tips, you will receive the away teams
  • If you join after a competition has started, you will be allocated the away teams for every round missed.
  • You will receive 1 "bonus" point if you Successfully tip every match in a round
  • You cannot edit your tips after a round has closed off
http://www.tippingunlimited.com/rules.php

Cheers.

The Colonel

Immortal
Cool - wasn't sure if LU's comp did offer a private comp or not. Didn't want to mention one at all if it didn't.

Cheers W

Tom Shines

First Grade
This is some of the ground rules I have in mine:

* $50 in to start.
* First gets 50%, second 25%, third 15%.
* Sixth last gets 10%.

* One point for a win, correct round gets two extra points (thus ten point round).
* One round between 7-20 can be selected by each player to earn double points.
* Late tips get TABSportsbet underdogs.

If people have not paid up by the second round then cancel them out of the comp...at our wor we get heaps of people joining and then being tight buggers when it comes to paying the entry fee !!.

If people have not paid up by the second round then cancel them out of the comp...at our wor we get heaps of people joining and then being tight buggers when it comes to paying the entry fee !!.

i refuse to enter my dodgy as hell work tipping comp anymore so far we've had:
people entering then wanting to pull out halfway through when they had no shot at winning
people asking the person running the comp what so and so has picked then tipping the other team
we even had one scumbag trying to sneak in a doctored tip sheet on monday to claim a perfect round

Dogs Of War

Coach
I always ran mine with any person missing there tips will receive the same as the lowest submitted tip minus 1. Cause I always think those that make the effort deserve a better result than those that don't.

Zadar

Juniors
i refuse to enter my dodgy as hell work tipping comp anymore so far we've had:
people entering then wanting to pull out halfway through when they had no shot at winning
people asking the person running the comp what so and so has picked then tipping the other team
we even had one scumbag trying to sneak in a doctored tip sheet on monday to claim a perfect round

All that is avoided by just setting up an espn tipping comp, best thing ever.

With colleagues at work I ran the tipping competition from 1998 till the end of 2015. Unless people are dirt poor, have the entry fee as a flat fee paid up front.

My colleagues had to finish off the tipping comp run by a fellow colleague who had a heart attack mid-season 1997 and he used to let people pay on a per week basis. Problem is that those who were well out of the placings in the last 4-6 weeks would enter their tips but would not pay. as such they were chasing people for money upwards of 2-3 weeks after the competition had concluded. So generally speaking to avoid aggravation, make it payment up front to join. No pay, no start. Trust me it will save you a headache.

My other suggestion, run the comp online. There are a number of websites which offer free tipping comps. Find one which meets your needs rule wise and use it. trust me having to sort through 30-40 sheet of paper with peoples tips, add them up, update a table etc take a bit of time. Let a dedicated server do it for you.

I always ran mine with any person missing there tips will receive the same as the lowest submitted tip minus 1. Cause I always think those that make the effort deserve a better result than those that don't.

Yeah we did that too. That way they could not get a "fluke" perfect round by doing what many comps do, which is give them all the away teams. Also most websites that allow such a setting will not let a score of less than 0 be recorded even if this occurs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My work just runs a private comp on the ESPN footytips site. $50 entry with 65 members so too much work to do manually.

thorson1987

Coach
My favourite tipping comp I was ever in was in 2004 and unsurprisingly it was the one I won.

$20 per person (we had about 30 odd people in it)
Each and every game had to be picked prior to the season starting, with no changing tips at all.
Perfect round would give you 8 bonus points.
Everyone had a copy of everybodies tips for the season so you could keep track of it.