What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL Cowboys 2010 Thread

Talanexor

Juniors
So 2009 is over (I don't even think we're a mathematical chance to make the finals after tonight's loss).

This is the official season 2010 thread. Discuss squad changes, tactics, what went wrong in 2009 and how to fix this in 2010.
2009 POSITIVES

1. James Tamou - runs hard at gaps, hits the line at full pace and drives with the legs. I've never seen a prop so skinny, but he gives his best week-in-week out and is EXACTLY the sort of player we need in our forward pack.
  2. Steve Rapira - when he hits opposing players, they STAY hit. Running game has improved a lot too, watch him spin out of tackles and take the line on over and over again. Will only get better with age.
  3. Willie Tonga - back to his best, solid in defence and in the right place at the right time in attack. One of the few consistent Cowboys this season. I'd like to see him given a lot more ball.
  4. Matty Bowen - has missed a few games with minor injuries, but thankfully hasn't aggravated his troublesome knee. Kicking and ball-playing is as good as ever, though he doesn't run the ball as much as he used to, and his kick returns are lazy. He'll be a lot better next year.
  5. Anthony Watts - oozes confidence and x-factor, just needs to get the errors and bad last-tackle plays out of his game. Made a few costly mistakes this season (THAT KICK against the Bulldogs in particular), but has had some great ones as well, especially the chip and chase against the Knights. A genuinely dangerous player. Just ask Robbie Farah
  6. Re-signing Matt Scott and Scott Bolton - Two very good forwards with a high workrate and plenty of minutes in them. Even more importantly, it shows that North QLD continues to produce outstanding talent and is committed to keeping our juniors in Townsville.
2009 NEGATIVES

1. Backline - Excepting Bowen and Tonga, it sucks. John Williams has had a quiet year after a great debut year in 2008, Ty Williams is past it, Ash Graham's defence is STILL awful and Bani is a deadset failure. We have struggled to put points on as soon as we traded Farrar away to Manly.
  2. Michael Bani - Isn't good enough for first grade. He's a short, slow winger with questionable defence who just can't seem to find the tryline. We've already got Ty Williams, why do we want two passengers in the backline? Farrar, on the other hand, had rock-solid defence, great pace, could play anywhere 1-5 AND gave us an attacking option in the air. Ever noticed that we have NEVER gone for the bomb or the cross-field kick with Bani and Ty on the wings? And that a lot of tries we concede come from these same tactics?
  3. Kaufusi and Manuokafoa - Two big-name signings who just haven't lived up to expectations. They are lazy in defence and just don't have any mongrel in attack. They aren't bad players, but Neil Henry will need to do a LOT of work with them over the offseason if they want to keep a spot in the team I think.

I think we have plenty of potential, and plenty of talented players. The team needs more time to gel and for players to settle into their roles. I think we will be a far better team next year.

Here's my best team for 2010, assuming Carl Webb and Shane Tronc leave and we don't get Farrar back (I'd love to have him back though)

1. Matt Bowen
2. Ash Graham
3. Donald Malone
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Travis Burns
7. Johnathan Thuston
8. Antonio Kaufusi
9. Aaron Payne
10. Matt Scott
11. Steve Southern
12. Scott Bolton
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. James Tamou
16. Steve Rapira
17. Manuokafoa/Ah Mau 1 or 2/Harris

Backline is a lot better IMO. Bani and Ty Williams are slow, short, and just too small to defend against the monster wingers in the modern game. Malone has only played one game so far this season, and we lost. Despite all that he looks the goods. Showed plenty in attack and looked desperate in defence, we need BOTH in a centre.

The weakest part of Ash Graham's game is his defence: putting him on the wing minimises hos defensive workload. I'd switch him for Farrar in a heartbeat though.

Forward pack has just the right balance of high work rate, solid defence and hard-running metre-eaters. If Kaufusi doesn't pull his finger out, though, Tamou takes his starting spot. He's running out of chances.

The biggest issue for me was again the 6, 9 & 14. Travis Burns has a decent passing game and rock solid defence - he can also play at centre, hooker and would slot nicely into the backrow too. If he can develop an accurate long-kicking game, then he gets the 6 jersey IMO. We need a five-eighth who can tackle hard, pass accurately and take *some* of the playmaking and kicking duties off Thurston and Bowen. With a good long-kicking game, Burns fits the bill perfectly.

The reason Rovelli has been play 5/8th at the back end of this season is his kicking game. He's actually done some playmaking quite well too, but for every good pass he's thrown he's butchered two others. Good backup, but I don't see a spot for him in the full-strnegth side.

Watts has a bit more x-factor, a lot more confidence and is a lot more dangerous with ball in hand than either Rovelli or Burns. Has a better running game too. Also makes a lot of mistakes, but I hope Neil Henry can work on that.

With this in mind, I believe Burns should start at 6. After 20 mins, Watts should come on and Burns moves to the back row. Burns is then used in the back-row rotation unless there is an injury or Payne needs a rest.

I guess what I'm modelling this game plan on is Paramatta. They're playing a very unconventional style of footy at the moment, but it's brutally effective. Their fullback is the main ball-player and their halfback is just a tackling machine. Hayne and Mortimer share the kicking duties and start most of the attack. Robson is solid - throws a decent pass, tackles hard, can kick if he has to. Nothing flashy. Mateo plays in the backrow but has all the ball skills of a five-eighth, and starts most of the attack from offloads or short passes. Matt Keating/Kevin Kingston just provide good service from dummy half.

I see Burns starting as Robson and transforming into Mateo if an opportunity presents itself, but otherwise leaving the playmaking to others.

I've spent the last hour writing all that - man I need to get a life.

What are everyone else's thoughts? What was good about 2009, and where did we go wrong. What changes would you like to see. Do we need to sign any more players or promote anyone from u20's/QLD Cup? Or does Neil Henry just need more time to coach the players into a better team?

renouf

Juniors
  1. Matty Bowen - has missed a few games with minor injuries, but thankfully hasn't aggravated his troublesome knee. Kicking and ball-playing is as good as ever, though he doesn't run the ball as much as he used to, and his kick returns are lazy. He'll be a lot better next year.
You sure? He went off after half time with a knee injury

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Our best under 20's player he breaks tackle after tackle, today you could see him cramping up when he was getting up but he just kept doing it. Hes the lock really good young player and he needs a go.

StinkyPete

Juniors
So 2009 is over (I don't even think we're a mathematical chance to make the finals after tonight's loss).
I think we're a long shot put we don't deserve to

Here's my best team for 2010, assuming Carl Webb and Shane Tronc leave.

Showed plenty in attack and looked desperate in defence, we need BOTH in a centre. - Agreed

With this in mind, I believe Burns should start at 6. After 20 mins, Watts should come on and Burns moves to the back row

What are everyone else's thoughts? What was good about 2009, and where did we go wrong. What changes would you like to see. Do we need to sign any more players or promote anyone from u20's/QLD Cup? Or does Neil Henry just need more time to coach the players into a better team?
still havn't found someone who will sign him wigan and warriors have shown "interest" but on curent form I'm more than happy to keep him for another season. Tron has signed somewhere in england he is goneskis gonna miss the bloke. who remembers the Tronc Squad?:lol:

Id like to see Ash Graham moved to the wing aswell where we'll see more of his speed if he still has it don't think i"ve seen him run for than 5m at a time all season.

We need to sign Dane Hogan he's a machine. and sign Ray thompson or another halfback no way i can see thurston stay with a team thats not winning.

Neil Henry needs to coach them into a team that plays for 80 f**king minutes. if have to see that kinda defence again Im turning the game off cause I know where the games going.

we're gonna have forwards coming out our ears this is all props/second rowers off the top of my head

Matt Scott
Antonio Kafusi
Manese Manakfoa
Carl Webb
Luke O'Donnel
Steve Southern
Ben Harris
James Tamou
Steve Rapira
Leeson Ah Mau
Other Ah Mau
Will Tupou
Scott Bolton
plus Dane Hogan from Toyota Cup if he ever gets a shot over some of our hacks.

Jesus f**king christ Id say we have depth in the forwards if Kafusi or Manakofoa start playing sh*t the should get the flick to Queensland Cup straight away they've got young kids gunning for their spots. they need to peform well now or gtfo.

Also Burns greater than Rovelli fullstop nothing more to be said.

Oh but I have to say no to him in the back row we have heaps of them seems a bit of a insult to them to put our five eighth there.

If Burns can't kick long. Bowen can. well use to.......

Also Watts is awesome between him and payne we should carve up the middle.

I really want the boys to show some pride in the horns next season.

in conclusion Cowboys will when the Grandfinal in 2010 no doubt in my mind.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The North Queensland Football club needs to ask itself what kind of football club it wants to be.

The main problem I see with this club is that every single side that plays them believes they will beat them. This may come through purely being a better side, or if it is a side lower on the ladder they will use home crowds to their advantage or just grind out a win against a Cowboys side that knows how to blow a game.

The point that StinkyPete makes is a pertinent one, North Queensland simply cannot play for a full eighty minutes. This allows sides the confidence to believe that no matter what is happening during the game, they know that they can find a way to beat them. Last nights game against Newcastle was a classic example. Watching the game at the pub I was enthralled by some of the attack late in the first half. Yet, going into the break I felt certain Newie would regroup with a second half assault on the Cows and run over the top of them. It was horrific in its predictability.

Further to this, we simply are not tough enough. Not one single team would fear North Queensland. Do you think for a minute opposition teams are sitting in the sheds prior to kickoff worrying about blokes like Carl Webb and Anotonio Kaufusi and the way they play? And this is especially the case when NQ go down to Sydney and play clubs on their home patches. The culture of our club simply isn't strong enough to compete at the moment.

I know you can debate the complexities of team lists and positions but at the end of the day North Queensland needs radical changes to the way it approaches its footy. This is something that has been on my mind for some years now. We can't just keep drifting through seasons the way we have been over the last couple of years. In saying this however I have faith in Neil Henry as our coach. He made vast improvements in the team this year and I feel he will continue to do so. If in three years I've seen no improvement my opinion would obviously change.

I want this football club to be all it can be. I want the football world to be looking towards North Queensland with a sense of awe. But most of all I want us to be a football club that is respected.

Talanexor

Juniors
still havn't found someone who will sign him wigan and warriors have shown "interest" but on curent form I'm more than happy to keep him for another season. Tron has signed somewhere in england he is goneskis gonna miss the bloke. who remembers the Tronc Squad?:lol:

Id like to see Ash Graham moved to the wing aswell where we'll see more of his speed if he still has it don't think i"ve seen him run for than 5m at a time all season.

We need to sign Dane Hogan he's a machine. and sign Ray thompson or another halfback no way i can see thurston stay with a team thats not winning.

Neil Henry needs to coach them into a team that plays for 80 f**king minutes. if have to see that kinda defence again Im turning the game off cause I know where the games going.

we're gonna have forwards coming out our ears this is all props/second rowers off the top of my head

Matt Scott
Antonio Kafusi
Manese Manakfoa
Carl Webb
Luke O'Donnel
Steve Southern
Ben Harris
James Tamou
Steve Rapira
Leeson Ah Mau
Other Ah Mau
Will Tupou
Scott Bolton
plus Dane Hogan from Toyota Cup if he ever gets a shot over some of our hacks.

Jesus f**king christ Id say we have depth in the forwards if Kafusi or Manakofoa start playing sh*t the should get the flick to Queensland Cup straight away they've got young kids gunning for their spots. they need to peform well now or gtfo.

Also Burns greater than Rovelli fullstop nothing more to be said.

Oh but I have to say no to him in the back row we have heaps of them seems a bit of a insult to them to put our five eighth there.

If Burns can't kick long. Bowen can. well use to.......

Also Watts is awesome between him and payne we should carve up the middle.

I really want the boys to show some pride in the horns next season.

in conclusion Cowboys will when the Grandfinal in 2010 no doubt in my mind.

Moving Burns to lock means that we can have Watts AND Payne on the field at the same time. If that doesn't get the forwards rolling, I don't know what will. He doesn't have to stay there all game, but if we do it at the back end of each half against tiring forwards it would be devastating.

Burns has the skills, but if he isn't going to pass or kick he's better utilised as a tackling machine in the forwards IMO.

Cowboys have always had a reputation for leaking points. Back when we were doing well (2005,2007) we ALSO had a reputation for being able to score plenty of points, from anywhere on the field. We had a great backline then.

Our defence has been a lot better this season (until last night anyway). But our attack really hasn't clicked, and a lot of the reason for this is our backline - they just aren't very dangerous.

Ty Williams is over the hill, Bani is just a dud, Ash Graham's defence is diabolical and as good as Tonga is, he isn't the quickest centre around. And worst of all, Bowen barely runs the ball anymore.

If we fix the backline, we score more points. If we score more points, tighten up our right-side defence and play for the full 80 mins, we've got enough talent to win a Premiership.

But in order to fix the backline, Bowen needs to take the line on and Ty and Bani need to f*ck off back to QLD cup. Graham needs to play on the wing or not at all. And we need to either get Farrar back or sign another decent outside back (maybe Esi Tonga from the Tits?), preferably someone who can also play fullback to cover if Bowen is injured.

Ianc

Juniors
The North Queensland Football club needs to ask itself what kind of football club it wants to be.

The main problem I see with this club is that every single side that plays them believes they will beat them. This may come through purely being a better side, or if it is a side lower on the ladder they will use home crowds to their advantage or just grind out a win against a Cowboys side that knows how to blow a game.

The point that StinkyPete makes is a pertinent one, North Queensland simply cannot play for a full eighty minutes. This allows sides the confidence to believe that no matter what is happening during the game, they know that they can find a way to beat them. Last nights game against Newcastle was a classic example. Watching the game at the pub I was enthralled by some of the attack late in the first half. Yet, going into the break I felt certain Newie would regroup with a second half assault on the Cows and run over the top of them. It was horrific in its predictability.

Further to this, we simply are not tough enough. Not one single team would fear North Queensland. Do you think for a minute opposition teams are sitting in the sheds prior to kickoff worrying about blokes like Carl Webb and Anotonio Kaufusi and the way they play? And this is especially the case when NQ go down to Sydney and play clubs on their home patches. The culture of our club simply isn't strong enough to compete at the moment.

I know you can debate the complexities of team lists and positions but at the end of the day North Queensland needs radical changes to the way it approaches its footy. This is something that has been on my mind for some years now. We can't just keep drifting through seasons the way we have been over the last couple of years. In saying this however I have faith in Neil Henry as our coach. He made vast improvements in the team this year and I feel he will continue to do so. If in three years I've seen no improvement my opinion would obviously change.

I want this football club to be all it can be. I want the football world to be looking towards North Queensland with a sense of awe. But most of all I want us to be a football club that is respected.

Top post!!!

We have been like this for years. It doesn't matter who's the coach is or who our players are, we have no mental toughness.

The only thing that has been a constant has been the board. A great coach once said get the front office right & everything else will fall into lace or words to that effect. We've changed coaches & players yet this part of our play hasn't changed.

Is it coming from the top?

Charlie124

First Grade
Some good points in this thread but Talanexor i really cant agree with you regarding Bani, i think he's been great for us and would prefer to keep him in our backline over Ash Graham. Ive always been a huge fan of Graham but he is an absolute speed bump in defence and hasnt offered anything in attack for a couple of seasons now.
Then theres Ty Williams who i thought was gone for good but has really impressed me since his stint in the reserves. Id like to see a bit more of Malone before giving him a permanant starting spot over these guys.

1. Bowen
2. Bani
3. Williams/Malone
4. Tonga
5. Williams
6. Burns/Watts
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Tamou
11. Southern
12. Webb
13. O'Donnell

14. Watts/Burns
15. Rapira
16. Manunfdnfonwdsomdjigjeomoasfoa
17. Kaufusi

Shorty

Staff member

Absofarkinglutely.

Cowboys don't back themselves, even when JT is playing.
You watch a side like the Broncos, Storm or Manly and they really couldn't care less who they're playing.
They still think they're going out and going to win.

The only time I've ever seen a mindset close to this was in 2004 when it would have been a 'nothing to lose' state of mind.
I love JT but I think that perhaps he's treated as royalty in every aspect of the club.
Though he does so much for the club, the team as a whole must be treated as such when a game is won.

I have no doubt at all if the rest of the team had such a belief in themselves we'd be well on our way to finals.

I think that this year wasn't too bad considering how bad things were last year.
But the off season needs to focus on a lot of improvements.
I think the backline needs a whole lot of attention, not in ability but in belief of ability and individuality.
The forward pack has been superb this year so the same sort of training in the off season and then they can only get stronger next year.

The person in the halves with JT needs to establish and know his role.
And Ash Graham needs to be put on the wing and never return to centre.

Last edited:

StinkyPete

Juniors
ok this is what I want to see as our run-on line up run on next year.

1. f**kING SIGN SOMEONE GOOD! GALLANT PLEASE Kemp, Mckinnon mayb and dear god dnt put ash or Ty here Ty is a back up not a season fullback
2. John Williams
3. Will Tupou
4. Willie Tonga
5.Donald Malone
6.Travis Burns
7. Johnathon Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Luke O'Donnel
12. Scott Bolton
13. Steve Southern

14. Anothany Watts
15. Steve Rapira
16. Dane Hogan
17. Carl Webb/Fusi/Manakfoa/Ahmau 1 or 2 who ever is playing well.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
What do you reckon our top-25 will look like. We need some decent backs. I'm pretty happy with our forwards and we have plenty of depth there. But our backline sucks - we have only Shannon Hegarty for depth, and NO ONE can win with him in their team.

1. Gallant (signed from Tigers)
2. Denan Kemp (signed from Warriors)
3. Donald Malone
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Travis Burns
7. JT
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Tamou
11. Southern
12. Bolton
13. LOD

14. Watts
15. Rapira
16. Webb
17. Kaufusi

18. Ben Harris (he still signed for next year?)
19. Brenton Bowen (backline depth signed from Titans)
20. Matt Bowen (recovering from injury)
21. Grant Rovelli
22. Clint Amos
23. Manase Manuokafoa
24. Ah Mau 1
25. Ah Mau 2

Hypothetically, we sign Gallant, Kemp and Bowen. All good players, all great finishers, all fringe first graders we could get cheaply. I don't want to see Hegarty anywhere near first grade.

I'd like to get Farrar back, but I doubt that will happen now. Bani is a dud. He's a specialist winger, and a mediocre one at that.

Also, there are probably stacks of forwards I have forgotten, just tried to come up with 25 players who will likely play first grade next season.

At the very least we NEED to sign a half-decent fullback, who can ideally play anywhere in the backline.

Talanexor

Juniors
Yeah, you're right, forgot about those guys.

Which position does Will Tupou play? When I googled him it came up with a bunch of reports saying he's an outside back and a bunch of other ones saying he was a backrower.

As the Sharks have finally figured out, playing backrowers on the edges is NOT a smart idea.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
He hasn't played Union for a few years now.
He played in the centres last year in our U20s team but after that he has been turned into a wide running back rower.

Latest posts