What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

mongoose

Coach
I'm ok with them not using Redcliffe but should be something - North Brisbane, South QLD, East Coast...

yadamisha

Juniors
What's the issue with the Redcliffe name?
More so because Redcliffe Dolphins traditionally represented Redcliffe City in the BRL (the suburbs of Kippa-Ring, Clontarf, Scarborough, Rothwell, Newport, Margate, Woody Point and its namesake Redcliffe) whereas now Redcliffe City council has since merged with Pine Rivers Shire and Caboolture Shire Councils to form the massive Moreton Bay Regional Council. So a result as an NRL team they want to represent all these areas, not just part of it plus the Sunshine Coast hence why I suspect they will become the preferred name of Moreton Bay Dolphins! I highly doubt it will be Brisbane as they have never been part of Brisbane and would piss off their core supporters.

colly

Juniors
I think to maximise sponsorship dollars teams should get corporate names and preferably related to their culture.

News Ltd Dolphins as they are propping the team up.

Others could be KPMG Storm, Colgate Rabbitohs, Amitage Shanks Broncos, etc
Maybe get Sea World as a jersey Sponsor.

colly

Juniors
More so because Redcliffe Dolphins traditionally represented Redcliffe City in the BRL (the suburbs of Kippa-Ring, Clontarf, Scarborough, Rothwell, Newport, Margate, Woody Point and its namesake Redcliffe) whereas now Redcliffe City council has since merged with Pine Rivers Shire and Caboolture Shire Councils to form the massive Moreton Bay Regional Council. So a result as an NRL team they want to represent all these areas, not just part of it plus the Sunshine Coast hence why I suspect they will become the preferred name of Moreton Bay Dolphins! I highly doubt it will be Brisbane as they have never been part of Brisbane and would piss off their core supporters.
Morton Bay Mudcrabs- why are you iching your balls- go the crabs.

LineBall

Juniors
What's wrong with Brisbane Dolphins?

Other cities have two sporting teams that share their cities names, e.g. New York Giants/Jets, Manchester City/United, Inter/AC Milan, Hull KR/Hull FC.

some11

Referee
You've missed my point. "The Dolphins" is rubbish. I'm sure they'll change it. A generic name like "North Brisbane Dolphins" is no better anyway.

If they've been the Redcliffe Dolphins since 1947, they should stay the Redcliffe Dolphins. It's where they're from. Do people in Brisbane know or care where Cronulla, Parramatta or Canterbury are? Why should the reverse matter for Sydney-siders?

The Warriors should have stayed the Auckland Warriors. The Roosters should still be Eastern Suburbs.

Generic location names should be consigned to the past.
Yep sorry mate, agree 100%

some11

Referee
It has to be called the Redcliffe Dolphins or that inspiration little theme they are going with about the 72 years is null and void
Yeah its horse shit. Fans should take a banner to the opening game with "WE ARE REDCLIFFE" on it.

some11

Referee
You could hardly call Red Hill "North side"

Thats like describing Leichhardt as "Western Sydney"
Red Hill is on the north side of the river, that's all that matters for shit talking between south siders and north siders.

Last edited:

Latest posts