What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official team v Manly - oh my god

LeagueNut

First Grade
We've never had a winger as captain before, but we've had fullbacks (Ridge, Cleary) and players who have played wing (Bell, Tate) as captains.

I remember in 2001 we played two teams who had "winger captains" - Jamie Ainscough for the Dragons and Wendell Sailor for the Broncos. We won both games, 34-6 over the Drags & 13-12 over the Broncs.

The Warriors have only had a couple of "one match" captains - Duane Mann (Rd 9 1995, we lost 6-48 to the Knights in Newcastle) and Denis Betts (Rd 12 1997, we lost 12-24 to the Western Reds in Perth !?!). Kevin Campion normally had Stacey Jones as a co-captain while he was here, but in the one match Campo ran solo with the (c) we got beaten 12-48 by the Broncos in Brisbane (2001).

Here endeth the Warriors captain history lesson.

Aragorn

First Grade
If we don't win tomorrow we will finish up the weekend in 12th.

Geeze, with the Tits and Drags winning tonight, the pressure is really on us now.....

Good luck to Manu & the team, they're really gonna need it tomorrow night against a desparate and near strenght Manly squad ....:pray:#-o:pray:

Blair

Coach
Even if we finish the season at 12 I'd still expect a decent crowd at Mt Smart for our last game.

Did anyone else notice the 'crowd' at the Roosters match? Talk about 'fair weather fans'. They'll turn out for Sonny Bill though - but if they hit a losing streak that might be doubtful.

I was going to briefly mention Stu Wilson captaining the All Blacks on the 1983 tour of England and Scotland (Andy Dalton had farm commitments) but I thought union talk wasn't allowed here?

They were going this arvo...

If they really thought jetlag would be a problem they would've given themselves at least a couple of nights to settle in, no? Anyway, for expats it must be a buzz in WA to have the Warriors there.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
Even if we finish the season at 12 I'd still expect a decent crowd at Mt Smart for our last game.

Did anyone else notice the 'crowd' at the Roosters match? Talk about 'fair weather fans'. They'll turn out for Sonny Bill though - but if they hit a losing streak that might be doubtful.
Thats the thing about Australians, they only follow winners - if their home team are losers - shut the gates, they're not coming.- again its all about the competitive, winning mentality they seem to have across the ditch.

Maybe we should adopt the same for the warriors? I think a big home crowd for their final game, if they end up 12th, is letting the management & coaching team , as well as players - off the hook. Everyone should boycott the final game in protest of what an absolute disappointment this season has been - again, that is, if we end up 12th on the table....

playdaball

Bench
I was going to briefly mention Stu Wilson captaining the All Blacks on the 1983 tour of England and Scotland (Andy Dalton had farm commitments) but I thought union talk wasn't allowed here?

Mention Dane O'Hara captaining the Kiwis from the wing back in 1980 then

hitro

Juniors
I am so scared about tonight. I reckon the Warriors only chance is for McClennan to dust of the Bully the Bully speech from al those years ago and the team to go out and hurt Manly from the word go, but I don't know if any of them are spiteful enough. Maybe Matulino, pity Steve Rapira's not playing.

Micistm

Bench
If we don't win tomorrow we will finish up the weekend in 12th.

If we cant win tonight it'll be very close to over rover really. You'll have a few teams that are on 20pts like us (Dragons already have) move ahead, with eighth place Tiggs either being a further 2 ahead, or possibly 4 if they take the Bunnies.
Cowboys gave them the chance to stay in it, if this doesn't motivate them nothing will. That said, Manly have lost a few in a row too, and are really possibly second most dangerous team after the Dogs-so will be really fired. So if they can win against that, and win well, it does give you hope. But not a lot it has to be said, as we've been just too all over the place in consistancy. But so have many other teams I guess.

Aragorn

First Grade
I am so scared about tonight. I reckon the Warriors only chance is for McClennan to dust of the Bully the Bully speech from al those years ago and the team to go out and hurt Manly from the word go, but I don't know if any of them are spiteful enough. Maybe Matulino, pity Steve Rapira's not playing.

got to get those lousi boys fired up and angry. Maybe one of those Manly thugs will make a disparing joke about their mother? that would do the trick...

beefstew

Juniors
Umm, no... I'm responding to your statement that

Maybe if Vatuvei had the ball in his hands half as much as Benji does, and was responsible for at least 80% of the play making and kicking for his team, there
might be an excuse for him to have more errors than anyone else in the comp, but seeming he's a winger who has maybe 15 possessions per game, 10 of
which are basic front rower type hit-up's, it just borders on pathetic.

Benji makes most of his mistakes trying things most players only dream of, and more often than not, pulls them off. Vatuvei makes most of his errors
just trying to catch the ball, basic mistakes....so try and make any sort of comparison between the two you want, if it makes you feel better.

TheDMC

Bench
Fingers crossed for a miracle fellas...our last chance saloon! Best o luck Manu, I hope you have a blinder...

Auckland4ever

Juniors
so try and make any sort of comparison between the two you want, if it makes you feel better.

Your statement was:

I was always under the impression, the better a player supposedly is, and the more experienced he is...the less stupid and basic errors he's
supposed to make.

if you don't think that Benji, in 2012, is still making stupid errors, try canvasing the West Tigers fanbase for their opinions.

The only "comparison" I've made between Manu & Benji is that both get picked because, despite making errors, both offer attributes that other players in the team vying for their positions don't have. The point is, not every player offers the same thing, therefore they aren't subject to exactly the same "rules & standards" (as you previously put it).

Last edited:

beefstew

Juniors
Your statement was:

if you don't think that Benji, in 2012, is still making stupid errors, try canvasing the West Tigers fanbase for their opinions.

The only "comparison" I've made between Manu & Benji is that both get picked because, despite making errors, both offer attributes that other players in the team vying for their positions don't have. The point is, not every player offers the same thing, therefore they aren't subject to exactly the same "rules & standards" (as you previously put it).

Please tell me these attributes that Vatuvei brings to the team, that somehow equals out with the amount of errors and pathetic defense he produces
constantly, bet you cant....if they are annoyed at the Tigers with the amount of mistakes Benji makes, imagine how happy they'd be if one of
their wingers had made more, not just more, the most in the comp, and that winger didn't bring speed or elusiveness or any real skill, just good
hit-ups...when he can hold the ball.

Use what i wrote in any context you like, but the fact remains...Benji makes mistakes in the act of making amazing plays, Vatuvei makes stupid
errors just trying to catch or hold onto the ball.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Please tell me these attributes that Vatuvei brings to the team, that somehow equals out with the amount of errors and pathetic defense he produces
constantly, bet you cant....if they are annoyed at the Tigers with the amount of mistakes Benji makes, imagine how happy they'd be if one of
their wingers had made more, not just more, the most in the comp, and that winger didn't bring speed or elusiveness or any real skill, just good
hit-ups...when he can hold the ball.

Use what i wrote in any context you like, but the fact remains...Benji makes mistakes in the act of making amazing plays, Vatuvei makes stupid
errors just trying to catch or hold onto the ball.

You're missing the point. Re-read what I responded to. Also, re-read my original reply to your statement about "rules and standards". Compared to the other wing options in our side (Tupou, Slaimankhel, Fisiiahi) Vatuvei is first picked because of what he offers compared to what they currently offer, despite the errors he makes. He is better in the air than they are, regularly attracts three to four defenders who struggle to put him down (Tupou is regularly contained by one or two), is more powerful and is certainly no more frail defensively than any of the others, nor is he worse than Tupou under the high ball.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How can anyone think Manu is worse defensively or under the high ball than the other spastics we are running on the wing this year :?

Abdullah

Juniors
manu play good last night...try his best better than dumb ass topou on other wing...such useless player ever...he same as the coach bluey i really want to kick his ballhead for conversion.

Aragorn

First Grade
How can anyone think Manu is worse defensively or under the high ball than the other spastics we are running on the wing this year :?

Really loved watching Manu charging it up last night with speed, aggression and intensity. It was really good to see.

Still dumbfounded how we loss this game.

Warmess

Juniors
I thought Beast was good last night. Certainly one of the better performers. Tupou is just so hilariously bad it's not even funny. I thought Vatuvei could have scored that try if Brown passed (lol, Brown passing...)

I don't really recall seeing a game where we were literally coached into losing. Usually it's some of the players being derp-tastic, but Bluey really does have no clue.

I thought Ikahihifo went really well. Didn't look like a debutant at all, he really looked at home out there. Henry and Taylor have to be two of the smallest second rowers running around, and it tells in the way they get absolutely dominated every time they take a 'hit up'. At this point I'd prefer Lucks hit ups, and that's saying something.