What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

JokerEel

Coach
How good was the young 9 for the Jets wont get a run as his brother is in first grade.. He is someone we should steal to play 9 next year..
Rotate him and Mahoney..

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Jeez some are writing off Salmon and other young players after one game? I actually thought Salmon was amongst Wenty's best which doesn't mean he had a great game but it's all relative isn't it? He's obviously not a half but he's trying his best, I reckon he's lost the initial spark that he had when he first came into the grade. It's not doing our players any good playing in this grade with part-timers

Jeez some are writing off Salmon and other young players after one game? I actually thought Salmon was amongst Wenty's best which doesn't mean he had a great game but it's all relative isn't it? He's obviously not a half but he's trying his best, I reckon he's lost the initial spark that he had when he first came into the grade. It's not doing our players any good playing in this grade with part-timers

Its not about writing players off. Lets be honest & realistic.
Do you want Salmon playing 5/8 at Nrl level.? Some people on here rave about him.!
I think he is good but not up to it. Not a 6 at all, Not sure if the club has any other plans for him..

As for other young players - GL cant tackle, makes poor decisions. Footy isnt just about running the ball. If he doesnt have the smarts now he never will.

Look at Xerri 17yo today. That kid is something special. Great decisions in attack and defence,

Kaufusi i do believe has something to offer his the youngest of them all & playing decent footy.

How good was the young 9 for the Jets wont get a run as his brother is in first grade.. He is someone we should steal to play 9 next year..
Rotate him and Mahoney..

Can play, Loves to run alot. Service is great. Can make some bad choices defensively.
Class player though. Will hang around to play with his brother. 2 different players & will complement each others game.
Id have Brailey over Mahoney

Bazal

Post Whore
Do you want Salmon playing 5/8 at Nrl level.? Some people on here rave about him.!
I think he is good but not up to it. Not a 6 at all, Not sure if the club has any other plans for him..

As for other young players - GL cant tackle, makes poor decisions. Footy isnt just about running the ball. If he doesnt have the smarts now he never will.

Look at Xerri 17yo today. That kid is something special. Great decisions in attack and defence,

Kaufusi i do believe has something to offer his the youngest of them all & playing decent footy.

It's very easy to make great decisions in attack and defence off the back of 71% of the footy for a sustained period

It's very easy to make great decisions in attack and defence off the back of 71% of the footy for a sustained period

Totally agree. But the decisions he is currently making he was doing last year in 20s as well. Great with the ball in hand. Strong carries & explosive.
Defensively struggles big time

JokerEel

Coach

I wouldn't say great in defence when Au'va rans past you to score...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I didn’t watch the game so could be totally wrong.

Salmon isn’t a “natural” half (or organising half), so is it possible he is struggling playing with a part timer as his halves partner (along with a part time fullback), as he is trying to take on more then he is capable off rather then focusing on his natural game - I dare say the part timers are pretty average at this level.

JokerEel

Coach
I didn’t watch the game so could be totally wrong.

Salmon isn’t a “natural” half (or organising half), so is it possible he is struggling playing with a part timer as his halves partner (along with a part time fullback), as he is trying to take on more then he is capable off rather then focusing on his natural game - I dare say the part timers are pretty average at this level.

I thought the Wenty half back was pretty good today..

Salmon and the younger guys are all suffering by the same issue the rest of the club is suffering from poor coaching...

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Can you please show me where anyone has raved about him as a half? I can't remember any. In the post you quoted I said "he's obviously not a half but he's trying his best" that may clue you in to where I believe Salmon's future playing position lies, or doesn't lie. I reckon the club does have other plans for him (we signed him for 3 years), that was shown when we played him in the centres against the warriors but he didn't touch the ball enough because of the woeful halves in that squad.

You want to be honest and realistic? Righto. He's a 19 year old given the task of guiding a Wenty team that clearly has no leadership and outside of him no one providing any creativity in the halves and ability to set others up for a try. He's obviously more comfortable running the ball and hitting gaps than he is trying to put others into them. The best thing for him would be to play centre in the 20's, gain some confidence smashing them again and look to have another strong pre-season. But then if he plays centre in the 20's that's a bit unfair for Aukafolau and Afualo who have been playing well so far this season.

I understand the hype around GL but don't believe it. He looks good because he was putting on 250m+ a game in the 20s last year. But he's lazy. I think I may have said in the pre-season that Dunster and/or Parry will overtake him by the end of the season, I still believe that to be true.

Kaufusi plays the same game whether it be in the 20's or ISP, good player. I also don't believe it's right for him to be playing ISP, I truly believe that he (and Fainga'a for that) should be playing Flegg and it would be better for them in the long run.

In reality Jaemon didn't really have much options outside him. Fainga is overweight at the moment and only just stepped up to ISC, Davis is .......well he's Nathan Davis, And I'm one who doesn't rate GL. I would love to see him with some hard running options outside him as I think he does engage the line. Reminds me of Foran at times in that respect. One thing I have noticed is he wont throw a hospital pass would rather be tackled than push it out

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

You’re comparing players from a single game where one team had all the ball.

Gronk

Staff member
In reality Jaemon didn't really have much options outside him. Fainga is overweight at the moment and only just stepped up to ISC, Davis is .......well he's Nathan Davis, And I'm one who doesn't rate GL. I would love to see him with some hard running options outside him as I think he does engage the line. Reminds me of Foran at times in that respect. One thing I have noticed is he wont throw a hospital pass would rather be tackled than push it out
Is his kicking game better than displayed today ?

Is his kicking game better than displayed today ?

It's a work in progress. I do see him do a lot of work on it in the extras part of training sessions. What he mainly works on is getting it in the corners and keeping it in the field of play. he also spends a lot of time working on a hard grubber kick into the in goal that bends back towards the attack. Seems he is always the No2 kicker in the sides he is in though

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a work in progress. I do see him do a lot of work on it in the extras part of training sessions. What he mainly works on is getting it in the corners and keeping it in the field of play. he also spends a lot of time working on a hard grubber kick into the in goal that bends back towards the attack. Seems he is always the No2 kicker in the sides he is in though
Only being good enough to be the secondary kicker is fine if you're in a team with a legit primary kicker.