What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Bongo

Bench
All I'm saying is it's impossible for Mortimer to win in some people's eyes. He's improved his game tremendously - but then out comes the excuse of "so he should - he's 18 months' worth of First Grade under his belt".

Yet Tom Humble plays a few good games in a row and it's cool - the fact he's played a handful of First Grade games doesn't even factor into the equation.

Fair is fair, I say - both Mortimer and Humble have been playing very well. They have both dished up far better performances than they have in the last 12 months.

I completely agree mate and would like to add the fact that they have dished up far better performances than Casey McGuire of late. Can someone tell me the last really good game Casey had, how many minutes he played and in what position ? If you can then I think you will discover what suits him best IMO. I feel sorry for McGuire having been put in this position.
He is such a good signing for us and will add great value to our squad next year but I just don't see him as a halfback who can play 80 minutes.
I hope some people also realise what a loss Robo has been lately.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I think it's clear Humble has no future with us.

That is unless the salary cap speculation is true. Has anyone asked if it's true?

Yes I have and (in my opinion of course) Humble playing now will effect our cap for next year.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hope some people also realise what a loss Robo has been lately.

It's a sad indictment on the halfback quality in our club, but you're absolutely correct - we have missed Robson.

I dare say if he was still available Hayne would probably have shifted back to fullback weeks ago.

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
Both were very good on the weekend and I don't understand why both haven't been given a shot at firsts lately. Macguire has been a virtual non entity in the last few weeks, imo his best role for us is bench hooker. Maybe the salary cap situation is effecting their chances of getting a call-up, it seems the only logical reason to me.
Also for what it's worth, According to Jake Mullaney's Dad, Jake will apparently be third in line for fullback, behind Hayne and Burt. If true, not sure what this mean for Humble....

Tony Bongo

Bench
Both were very good on the weekend and I don't understand why both haven't been given a shot at firsts lately. Macguire has been a virtual non entity in the last few weeks, imo his best role for us is bench hooker. Maybe the salary cap situation is effecting their chances of getting a call-up, it seems the only logical reason to me.
Also for what it's worth, According to Jake Mullaney's Dad, Jake will apparently be third in line for fullback, behind Hayne and Burt. If true, not sure what this mean for Humble....

It means that Jake's dad doesn't know that Hayne will be 5/8 next year. ;-)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Did you tell Jake's dad to sweep the leg, Johnny?

karatekid.jpg

Raudonikis

Juniors
It's a sad indictment on the halfback quality in our club, but you're absolutely correct - we have missed Robson.

I dare say if he was still available Hayne would probably have shifted back to fullback weeks ago.

you have to be joking with the bolded part :crazy:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
mortimer is better than both of them

I'm inclined to agree.

He passes at the line better than both of them, but I reckon Robson has a better kicking game than Morts.

Morts is also the smallest and probably the worst defender.

But it's true, they're all below par in the 7 jersey.

bartman

Immortal
Of the three, I'd say Robson's the better #7, and Maguire's the better #6 (although his best position is #9).

Due to the Morts experiment, we've only had five games lining up with that above combo this season - one win (Sharks), one draw (Saints), two tight losses (Manly, Newcastle), and one blow-out (Canberra).

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
All I'm saying is it's impossible for Mortimer to win in some people's eyes. He's improved his game tremendously - but then out comes the excuse of "so he should - he's 18 months' worth of First Grade under his belt".

Yet Tom Humble plays a few good games in a row and it's cool - the fact he's played a handful of First Grade games doesn't even factor into the equation.

Fair is fair, I say - both Mortimer and Humble have been playing very well. They have both dished up far better performances than they have in the last 12 months.

I couldn`t agree more. But Stagger keeps comparing Humble to Mortimer. I don`t know why. Whenever Humble has a good game it`s like, oh yes, but Mortimer played better. So I responded by pointing out that Mortimer has had - what is it, about 50 first grade games? compared to Humble`s six.
I don`t think it`s fair (or constructive) to compare Tom Humble with Daniel Mortimer at all. I think we should be comparing Humble to Chris Hicks, Ryan Morgan, Casey McGuire, and asking why he`s not getting a run. And while we`re at it, sure, Mortimer is playing well. Why isn`t he getting a run ahead of McGuire? Remember back to 2010, when we came out of a huge form slump to play out of our skins and beat Manly? We tried a new halves combination that night - Mortimer at half and Humble at five-eight. We could do a lot worse than try that again I reckon.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think a lot of people dont realise the step up from this grade to first grade.People say Mortimer looks a gun but in first grrade he is just average.I remember when id go to games and reserves would play.If a first grade players was in the team he would stand up head and shoulders.But once he got back into first's he was still just an average player(guys like ridell -Burt) If you put a great player into reserves they would nt jsut look good they would tear the competition apart

Eelementary

Post Whore
I couldn`t agree more. But Stagger keeps comparing Humble to Mortimer. I don`t know why. Whenever Humble has a good game it`s like, oh yes, but Mortimer played better. So I responded by pointing out that Mortimer has had - what is it, about 50 first grade games? compared to Humble`s six.
I don`t think it`s fair (or constructive) to compare Tom Humble with Daniel Mortimer at all. I think we should be comparing Humble to Chris Hicks, Ryan Morgan, Casey McGuire, and asking why he`s not getting a run. And while we`re at it, sure, Mortimer is playing well. Why isn`t he getting a run ahead of McGuire? Remember back to 2010, when we came out of a huge form slump to play out of our skins and beat Manly? We tried a new halves combination that night - Mortimer at half and Humble at five-eight. We could do a lot worse than try that again I reckon.

Good points. Both Morts and Humble deserve a crack.

Gronk

Staff member
#NSW Cup Full Time Wentworthville Magpies 36 def. Central Coast Centurions 28
web • 27/08/11 16:51

From nswrl twitter

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I hear that Manase, Pele and Paulo were our best players.

Stagger do you think Paulo is playing at an NRL level ?

I reckon he could be an important player for our side next year - we need a player in his mould in the backrow eg, a big strong backrower with good speed and skills, something that is really lacking from our backrow this year ( not saying Paulo is going to be that player but potentially he may be)

Status
Not open for further replies.