What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old School Special Effects.

Mark B

Juniors
Being a big fan of old school FX before CGI took over I invite people to post pictures of old school behind the scenes photos they know about. Everything from scale miniatures to mat background paintings. Stars Wars and Battlestar Galactica from the 70’s and 80’s were very dependent on these effects. Even going back to The Wizard of Oz where mat paintings were so important.

nöyd

Staff member
Top thread this.

Rob Bottin's work in The Thing is legendary. He also did The Howling and RoboCop (the original of course).

Rick Baker is God as far as practical effects are concerned, An American Werewolf In London, Michael Jackson's Thriller music video, Coming to America, he even did RDJ's makeup in Tropic Thunder.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Top thread this.

Rob Bottin's work in The Thing is legendary. He also did The Howling and RoboCop (the original of course).

Rick Baker is God as far as practical effects are concerned, An American Werewolf In London, Michael Jackson's Thriller music video, Coming to America, he even did RDJ's makeup in Tropic Thunder.
Bottin is awesome as is Baker, but for mine the main man is Tom Savini. He is the true Godfather of Gore.

nöyd

Staff member
I watched From Dusk till Dawn last night. First time in a while. Tom Savini effects and acting. Great horror flick!
Underrated Tarantino flick, I must have watched it at the same time as you. My missus walked past the lounge and said "what is this?" when Cheech was giving his little spiel outside the Titty Twister, I replied by simply saying "stick around and watch what happens next" lol

Savini is the gore king yes, Friday the 13th part IV was beyond anything created before or since (in the franchise that is). He was also in the original Maniac and did the FX (the remake with Elijah Wood is really really bad), the most memorable scene for mine was Savini himself getting his head blown off with a shotgun through a windshield. Classic 70's gore.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Underrated Tarantino flick, I must have watched it at the same time as you. My missus walked past the lounge and said "what is this?" when Cheech was giving his little spiel outside the Titty Twister, I replied by simply saying "stick around and watch what happens next" lol

Savini is the gore king yes, Friday the 13th part IV was beyond anything created before or since (in the franchise that is). He was also in the original Maniac and did the FX (the remake with Elijah Wood is really really bad), the most memorable scene for mine was Savini himself getting his head blown off with a shotgun through a windshield. Classic 70's gore.

Friday 13th Part 4 is as good as it gets. There was a video series put out by Fangoria in the 80s and one of them was all about Savini. They had a bunch of the scenes that were cut for being too excessive including Jasons death scene. Brutal doesn't come close to describing how he died. If you remember Corey Feldmans character swings the machete at him but you don't see it make contact. In the cut scenes you see it embed into his skull right around his eyes.Jason then falls forward and lands face down on the floor. His face doesn't hit the floor as the handle of the machete is propping him up. The weight of his head causes the machete to saw through the rest of his skull cutting it in two. Super gory and super cool. I used to have this video but lent it to a friend and never got it back. I've been looking for another copy ever since.

nöyd

Staff member
I have seen that footage too, can't recall where though. Wasn't that long ago either.

That VHS tape would be a great nostalgic score, but I have nothing to play it on lol

Jim Rockford

Bench
I have seen that footage too, can't recall where though. Wasn't that long ago either.

That VHS tape would be a great nostalgic score, but I have nothing to play it on lol
I've got one of those combo VHS/DVD recorder machines so I can burn VHS tapes to disc. If someone on here wants to buy the one on ebay I would gladly pay them for a copy of it to help offset the cost.

nöyd

Staff member
I've got one of those combo VHS/DVD recorder machines so I can burn VHS tapes to disc. If someone on here wants to buy the one on ebay I would gladly pay them for a copy of it to help offset the cost.
I had that exact type of VCR-DVD combo as well, but it broke down and wouldn't work. Found the exact same one on ebay that a guy was selling, early in the auction and it was at $20, I watched it all week and got it for $20, I was the only bidder. USed it for what I wanted and sold it on Gumtree months later for $200.

Wish I still had it though.