What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On a lighter note...Josh Dugan

st.phil

Bench
He is a freak - those kick returns were out of this world and his fight in every play is inspirational. Fingers crossed he stays fit, will only get better and better. Will always have an error in him but f%^k it - what an extraordinary player.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Haha that bastard takes me to either extreme. Head in my hands during the errors 5 meters out and jumping on the couch during 40m of tackle breaks

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He is a freak - those kick returns were out of this world and his fight in every play is inspirational. Fingers crossed he stays fit, will only get better and better. Will always have an error in him but f%^k it - what an extraordinary player.

I agree..if he and Widdop can stay fit, along with Nightie and Morris there should be enough character and fight in the backline to drag the rest of the team with them......if you look at it both Widdop and Beale they are still returning from long term injuries...and this year so far Duges has only a few games under his belt.......if we can just tighten up around the ruck area we will win our share of games this year....

giboz71

First Grade
I agree..if he and Widdop can stay fit, along with Nightie and Morris there should be enough character and fight in the backline to drag the rest of the team with them......if you look at it both Widdop and Beale they are still returning from long term injuries...and this year so far Duges has only a few games under his belt.......if we can just tighten up around the ruck area we will win our share of games this year....

Our backline is one of the best in the comp. Dugan, Widdop Nighty and Morris. Beale is getting better each game as well.

We just need to aim up in the forwards. Matthews and Harrison were good, provided plenty of energy at least. De Belin and Frizzell coming back will help.

TheRev

First Grade
If only Dugan could learn to pass at better times. Just goes too far at times.
Individually Josh is a superstar, and thank god we have some star power in our team finally... but I still think hes not in the same category as the games best fullbacks, its always 1-out play..

Gazzaw

Juniors
Couldn't agree more. No doubt he has brilliant moments, but there are a lot of times when he could have just contributed instead of trying to complete the try himself.

Not sure if there is a lot upstairs. maybe he will mature into a great fullback

saint06

Juniors
He is 23 FFS. Who are you comparing him to? Slater? Stewart? Hayne? Barba?

Slater is 30 and has played over 200 games.
Stewart is 30 and has played over 200 games.
Hayne is sooo hit and miss, sometimes he goes MIA.
Barba hasn't played anywhere near where he did 2-3 years ago.

I'd say Dugan is up there with the best fullbacks in the game. Last season no one would complain about him "trying to complete the try himself". Offensively, he can do whatever he likes, I wouldn't be complaining.

Gazzaw

Juniors
Not comparing him to anyone except himself. There are areas of his game that are very selfish

GT0007

Juniors
i agree that when Dugan learns to set up plays he will be the best in the game. All fullbacks make errors with kicks as you saw Australia's fullback drop the ball last night which led to one of our tries. Dugan competes and wants to win every battle and that is a great quality. I think his team play will improve as this is only his 2nd game back, what a weapon he will be if he passes the ball as he draws plenty of attention. My thoughts however is Dugan is passed the ball in the same way all the time and can crowd his outside men, I would have him running a line from outside in more often as imagine how good he would be as a decoy and what a bonus if they open up not thinking he will get the ball! I do think we have one of the best backlines in the comp and our best pack with the right attitude and discipline should be able to match most

st.phil

Bench
Yeah he is a bit selfish - but so was Gaz - or "go yourself Gaz". He has some maturing to do - he is very raw still and just needs to keep improving little things and he'll be sweet as

GT0007

Juniors
Yeah he is a bit selfish - but so was Gaz - or "go yourself Gaz". He has some maturing to do - he is very raw still and just needs to keep improving little things and he'll be sweet as

Yeah but Gaz looked to offload after a break as far as i can recall always did, he set up heaps of tries as well. With Dugan he only ever offloads when he has run out of space. I think he will improve and I hope Price talks to him about it otherwise it won't change as he's used to doing everything himself which previously he had to but not this year

TheRev

First Grade
Gaz set up plenty of tries.. as a centre you need to be doing that..

Dugan is still "the Duges", but he could be twice the player if he had the vision to set up his team-mates too.. whether thats a lack of attacking structure at the Dragons or his own limitations I dont know.. like ive mentioned thank god we have some x-factor in our team finally.. but were also missing something that a Darius Boyd or a Slater or Stewart brings to a football team.

Think about Cooper+Morris, or even Beale + Morris, you can do so much more with 2 players working together, than just the 1. Add it to the Duges PDR for end of year.

Regardless.. its less of an issue in 2014, because it seems like there are far more broken play opportunities and dummy half runs that suits our style.. so far we are scoring points despite losing out bigtime in field position.... though what i would like to see some is more % play to regain possession, we seem to give the ball away far too often when we do finally get to the oppositions tryline.. taking gambles on 3rd tackles etc.. I dont mind it occasionally but I think we need to hold the ball and make them work in defence.

bottle

Coach
He's a freakish runner.
Has an error or two in him at the same time.
Bit of rocks and diamonds about him, all in the same game. Keeps it interesting.