What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once a Warrior with Monty Betham

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Anyone else been watching this ? Surprisingly good show, best locally based league content sky have put out for a long time tbh

The ex players have been very forthright with their views, such as Mannering pretty much saying that the worst decision the club has made was sending Ivan on his way. Had a laugh at when Toopi explained he was a dickhead as a young kid and was asked by Ridgey to make a coffee for him and Logan Swann said to him to tell them to get fcked so he did that and all his training gear disappeared and he got fined every day for a week afterwards for not being in club kit
Just watching Nathan Friend now, and he was asked to describe his 3 coaches in 4 years. They got to McFadden and he said this

“He did his best, as a leader he got a bit honest with the players, to earn respect and get everything out of them, he lacked in that area as well”

If there is a quote that explains the hole the Warriors have been in for so long, that is it. If the playing group are not performing, and can’t handle being told that and drop their lips and refuse to listen to the coach, it explains the mediocrity they have produced in the past with a poor attitude

Blair

Coach
It sounds great, I miss the league on NZ TV.

With these shows we really need that premiership win, it needs to build up to that. Still, it'd be a great watch and I'll look out for some streaming.

What an episode it would be if Betham went inside the prison and visited the Beast.

Blair

Coach
John Kirwan this week, outstanding interview !

Showing his highlights I didn’t realise he had so many good moments
I hope his heart was with us. He was supposed to be in South Africa for the '95 RWC. We should never take second best!

For the record coach Laurie Mains ended his All Black career the previous year.

Matua

Bench
I hope his heart was with us. He was supposed to be in South Africa for the '95 RWC. We should never take second best!

Weird comment, the Warriors constantly take second best, and are constantly filled with players with their heart not in it. Conversely, any cursory reading about the Warriors from that era shows that JK brought a level of professionalism (ironically) to the team in the early years. Something which subsequent teams have been sorely lacking.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

He was invested 100%, and still loves the club, only bad words he had about the experience was about John Monie. He grew up with his dad taking him to Carlaw Park

advice from his dad was “take 2 carries from your own end out of trouble and the forwards will love you” lol

Last edited:

Grizzman

Juniors
JK was one of my all time favourite ABs and I thought he made a pretty good fist of League tbh. I was also at Eden Park at the 1987 World Cup game against Italy when he score that magnificent try! I met him at one of his Mental Health Speaking Engagements a few years back. He came and introduced himself to me and my young son and chatted for a bit. A really nice engaging guy. Only went up in my estimations.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Motu Tony this week. Only played 55 games for the Warriors, much more talented player than that, wouldn’t mind a play of his ilk coming through now

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Daniel Anderson last week, sitting there in his roosters cap as their junior development man

good yarns about how he signed Frances Meli and Ali Lauiti’iti to the club, Meli thought it was a pisstake while in the uk so he had to fax the contract offer to his hotel room then drive to Melis sisters house to verify they were reading the same thing, and sitting in the lounge room being fed with 12 of Ali’s family lol

one slight concern for me, he said that he has Webb, Swann and Lauiti’iti looking out for juniors for him at the moment so there could be more good kids the Warriors miss

vinnie delpino

Juniors
It’s a quality show. Man how was the nostalgia with Daniel Anderson, good times! Almost made me want to push the bring back Ando call. The yarn about the butcher, Watson and hotchin fighting over who would pay the bill was gold

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
but to be honest probably good for those kids...
Haha very true

Another thing that stood out to me was he was told when coming over for his final interview that if it went well, he wouldn’t be going home. Left his family behind, got the gig and the rest is history

compare that to these days when nobody will contemplate moving

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It’s a quality show. Man how was the nostalgia with Daniel Anderson, good times! Almost made me want to push the bring back Ando call. The yarn about the butcher, Watson and hotchin fighting over who would pay the bill was gold
Lol yeah that was crack up, can just imagine the Butcher getting up them. Shit he is a legend, says a lot when guys like Andrew Johns or Gordon Tallis come to NZ and head over to Waiheke to spend time with him

Scott

Bench
Enjoyed the Anderson chat. Also really enjoyed the Tommy L chat. He's achieved a whole heap in his career.

Matua

Bench
Did Anderson talk about this falling out with Stacey?

I wonder if this show is showing in Oz? I should search Kayo to see.

Edit: was I drunk when I posted this - there were two posts above dealing with this that I somehow missed. 😯

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Sir Peter Charles Leitch, the Mad Butcher

what a fantastic 25mins that was to watch. A beautiful man with the best outlook on life and footy, if people are down on the club it is probably worth listening to what he has to say about how he views Rugby League

classic yarn about how he took John Key with him to the 2011 GF, and they sat in the stands together. The NRL approached him and said they must sit in a corporate box and he told them to go and get f**ked :D