What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once a Warrior with Monty Betham

Scott

Bench
Can't help but admire his outlook on the game & life in general. Nobody dies after a loss. The sun still comes up in the morning. It's only a game!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Can't help but admire his outlook on the game & life in general. Nobody dies after a loss. The sun still comes up in the morning. It's only a game!
He's an incredible man.

Had the good fortune of speaking with him most weeks as part of an old job, the positivity from the guy was infectious (mind you, this was 2007-11). Even one night when unfortunately the sauce got the better of me, and I thought given I had his number it'd be a good time to ring him on a Saturday night with mates. He was swearing his head off at us, taking the piss 😂

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Have been a lot more quality interviews, really enjoyed the Palea’aesina and PJ Marsh ones

just watched Steve Kearney, broke his own Guinness world record for amount of “y’know”s thrown into an interview
Hahaha that record will never be broken. Also I'm sure he threw in a few 'agains' on questions he'd never been asked previously or points he'd never made.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Mick Watson tonight to wrap the season up

interesting yarn, the big Ali question wasn’t asked but a few bits i didn’t know

Got the job because as a favour to Ridgey who he knew from working for Pepsi, he wrote a report suggesting they target Bellamy or Anderson to be the coach, presented that and Eric Watson said congrats, you’re now CEO

Initial targets when he and Anderson took over the club was Kevin Walters and Michael Hancock. Sitting there having a feed one night and Wayne Bennett rang him and said you’re not having them but I’ll send you Campion

lingering question in his mind if they would have gone a step further in 2003 if they didn’t move Campion and Cleary on at the end of 2002. Said they lost their way after that venturing out into other interests rather than just concentration on footy

Blair

Coach
Mick Watson tonight to wrap the season up

interesting yarn, the big Ali question wasn’t asked but a few bits i didn’t know

Got the job because as a favour to Ridgey who he knew from working for Pepsi, he wrote a report suggesting they target Bellamy or Anderson to be the coach, presented that and Eric Watson said congrats, you’re now CEO

Initial targets when he and Anderson took over the club was Kevin Walters and Michael Hancock. Sitting there having a feed one night and Wayne Bennett rang him and said you’re not having them but I’ll send you Campion

lingering question in his mind if they would have gone a step further in 2003 if they didn’t move Campion and Cleary on at the end of 2002. Said they lost their way after that venturing out into other interests rather than just concentration on footy
We're a club full of 'what ifs' and 'if onlys'. I'm sick of it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Get Wayne Scurrah on and he can explain why not only did he give Ivan Cleary the arse, he then apparently had Bellamy on the hook but refused to wait a year for him. Him and his Cullen Investments mate Watson are the main reason we're in this shit.

JJ

Immortal
Get Wayne Scurrah on and he can explain why not only did he give Ivan Cleary the arse, he then apparently had Bellamy on the hook but refused to wait a year for him. Him and his Cullen Investments mate Watson are the main reason we're in this shit.
indeed...

Was hoping the Cowboys would beat the Eels, if only to have Cleary vs Payten in the Grand Final...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
indeed...

Was hoping the Cowboys would beat the Eels, if only to have Cleary vs Payten in the Grand Final...
LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO US WAYNE!

What is the narrative around Payten? I wonder if there is any belief we could've kept him under the right circumstances and leadership

Blair

Coach

What is the narrative around Payten? I wonder if there is any belief we could've kept him under the right circumstances and leadership
He made his name with us. That should've been a solid starting point.

Rich102

Staff member
No. He saw how this club was run and preferred to go on the open market.
Has some brains does Todd.

Reactions: JJ

Scott

Bench

It was a family based decision. His wifes parents are in Townsville & were struggling through the pandemic. He has said previously, he would of loved to have stayed with us, but the family came first.

JJ

Immortal
It was a family based decision. His wifes parents are in Townsville & were struggling through the pandemic. He has said previously, he would of loved to have stayed with us, but the family came first.
yep, sure... but he's at a club that's better run, has better systems and support, and it seems better talent (at the least better talent development) - I think those were all factors too...

Scott

Bench
yep, sure... but he's at a club that's better run, has better systems and support, and it seems better talent (at the least better talent development) - I think those were all factors too...
yep, but when he made the decision, he actually had us in a pretty good place considering, yet the Cowboys were a basket case. He's done a fantastic job up there. Thoroughly deserved the coach of the year award.

JJ

Immortal
I see Aussie media now suggesting a bidding war likely if RTS is really interested - Dolphins, Knights, perhaps others
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...n/news-story/2ae04f921dfb761267fb54c265583f2c

If he was keen I am sure they would be - at 29 does he really want to be the 7th centre fighting to move up the list for the ABs, or a winger? I guess he could get more money in union in Japan or Europe if he wants, but then no ABs. Interesting, guess he's in it for the long haul, but a lot of talent ahead of him...

**edit- apologies wrong thread, should be former Warriors one

Last edited:
ahhh ol mate Wayne.
Im about 8 years deep into a lifetime ban from the Warriors on Social Media becos of 1 big spray i gave him about the Bellemy siuation.
Got a trillion likes but also a permanent ban hahaha

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
RTS was only released to go to yawnion on the condition if he ever went back to league it would be with us.

gutter journalism
But we’ve seen how little contracts mean

I think if he’s keen to go back several clubs would be interested, whether he is is the question

Blair

Coach
When I get online looking for a good Warriors jersey from yesteryear, all I see is a mess of colours and styles, all representing a terrible time for the club.

I'd like Scurrah to tell to me why? I don't see this with other clubs either, just ours.

Latest posts